Quantcast
2001 Subaru Forester S Limited Edition - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: 2001 Subaru Forester S Limited Edition

Default 2001 Subaru Forester S Limited Edition

Hey All!

I'm going to look at this car and I really have limited car knowledge. I have a friend coming who knows more than me but I would love a little advice regarding things I should look for and what questions to ask to ensure that I dont get screwed.

This is the info from the add! Any advice would be super great!

Summary of Specifications/features:
    2.5L engine ~8-9L/100k on the highway, ~10 in the city depending on how you drive. That works out to a bit more than 600k on a single tank of gas on average.
    Subaru fulltime -symmetrical AWD
    S ltd edition - full leather interior, cassette player and 5 cd changer, power windows, sunroof, heated seats, mirror and window defroster, block heater, limited slip rear differential, 4 speed automatic transmission, roof rack and trailer hitch (1.25 inch). Comes with a full sized spare tire and a set of winter tires on rims (winter tires are getting low ~30%)
    New (>90% tread) Bridgestone Ecopia all season tires currently mounted to the vehicle on alloy rims (still have rubber hairs on them and over ¼ inch of tread)

Maintenance:
    Brakes just replaced using Brembo pads. Bled fluid too.
    All fluids (engine oil & coolant, transmission fluid, brakes fluid, differentials) recently changed (within 5000 kms).
    Timing belt/head gaskets replaced/redone at 14xxxx km (see sticker in engine bay for exact kms)
    Wiper blades are good.
    I have service records from the previous owner and my own as well as the carproof from when i bought the car should you like to look at them.

Condition:
    Body is in good shape, there are a few minor dents and scratches, most notably the hood has one scratch and a few hail dents. The windshield and glass on the vehicle is good - no cracks. Interior is clean and quite unworn. Overhead clock works, unlike many cars of this vintage.

Rational for selling:
    I’m selling this vehicle for two main reasons:
    1) I bought this car to drive while fixing my daily driver. As my daily driver is roadworthy again I no longer need the second car.
    2) I prefer to drive manual transmission vehicles.

Asking price is currently $4500, however price is negotiable. Let me know if you are interested and we can organize a test drive.

Thanks yo!

My Ride
    Blue boy

How many km? $4500 is too much for an 18 year old Subaru

153000km. I know, I definitely won't be paying $4500.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

If no one chimes here about Forresters, I would check out a forum thats dedicated to this vehicle. You can get ALOT of common issue knowledge there.

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

My Ride
    V8s

How have the mods not moved/nuked this yet?

I've had actual FS ads in here (the marketplace section) get deleted for some stupid minor detail, yet here we have a post that's in the wrong forum entirely but apparently that's NBD haha.

My Ride
    Blue boy

Quote Originally Posted by cjblair View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    How have the mods not moved/nuked this yet?

I've had actual FS ads in here (the marketplace section) get deleted for some stupid minor detail, yet here we have a post that's in the wrong forum entirely but apparently that's NBD haha.
    I think he's asking our thoughts on a vehicle he wants to buy

My Ride
    V8s

Quote Originally Posted by G-ZUS View Post
    I think he's asking our thoughts on a vehicle he wants to buy
    Well... yeah, obviously. Either you missed the point, or this post was moved out of marketplace before you saw the thread.

There are people who work in a profession dedicated to the diagnosis, repair and service of passenger vehicles. They are called Automotive Mechanics, and you can often find one that specializes in a particular brand. These individuals will be able to perform a comprehensive assessment of the vehicle you're looking to purchase, and will often know of or find issues to which you would have otherwise been oblivious. Your local Automotive Mechanic can also answer questions pertaining to the value, cost of ownership and reliability of the vehicle you're looking to buy.

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

Quote Originally Posted by born2workoncars View Post
    There are people who work in a profession dedicated to the diagnosis, repair and service of passenger vehicles. They are called Automotive Mechanics, and you can often find one that specializes in a particular brand. These individuals will be able to perform a comprehensive assessment of the vehicle you're looking to purchase, and will often know of or find issues to which you would have otherwise been oblivious. Your local Automotive Mechanic can also answer questions pertaining to the value, cost of ownership and reliability of the vehicle you're looking to buy.
    But this logical answer involves money! Oh the horror.