Quantcast
Working in a parking spot: San Francisco. - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Working in a parking spot: San Francisco.

Default Working in a parking spot: San Francisco.

https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2...g-space-wepark

Not entirely a bad idea. Realistically you can have prime location in a space that is larger than a cubicle, for as little at $1.50 to $2.25 per hour. The weather is usually co-operative too.

The Future is here.
    0.5 gram microsd delivered by 12,000 pound combustion vehicle and driver.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-18-2019 at 04:39 PM.

Thing is: You don't really need the walls, or even the electrical power or wired internet.

A 25 watt solar panel should provide full 2.4 amps at 5Volts for two modern devices, 4G or even soon 5G (at 1.4 Gbps) is faster than most wired telephone lines. Realistically the only reason you need walls is temperature control, protection from wind and precipitation, air pollution, and theft/personal security (no one sneaks up behind you) Assuming the upfront cost of a non-tariffed Chinese solar panel dropping below 50cents/watt - it might be more common to see solar panels being carried around or printed onto sides of buildings. Then someone suggested that they not wire the solar panels on the buildings to the "inside" but to have them accessable on the outside.

The problem with most cities in the future will be trying to keep cool, not heating up spaces. Easiest place to keep cool is actually outdoors.

With the price of useable electronics like new tablets in the $50 range, and fingerprint and screen locks, people will be less likely to be worried about security - which was the last hurdle IMO. Its already been done that you can basically just show the HDMI screen of a 1,000 server farm on a H.264 stream to a $50 tablet with ease - there is no need for a desktop PC anymore either, you can have the entire computing power of a building at your fingertips. You can literally control an entire downtown building and its entire computing power (and all the silly humans attached to said computers) from a $50 tablet attached to a 5G network and 12.5 watt solar panel. When there are 1 Terabyte/month cellular plans for less than $100, this will probably become the norm.

As a public space, you technically cant run a private business inside a park, but you can use the paid parking spot inside the park. It used to be guys selling audio equipment out of a white van, but now it might turn into something different.

The next big hurdle will be to somehow get portable air-conditioning cooling because of the heat coming off an asphalt road. Painting the roads white is only a stopgap.

Dare to live the dream.
    Last edited by ZenOps; 05-15-2019 at 05:21 AM.

BTW: If/when companies come the realization that most DO NOT have valuable "secrets" like "one click ordering" patented by Amazon, or a rocket thruster capable of landing on the moon - that's when people will start heading outdoors.

Seriously though, most companies don't have things worth protecting from a mental or physical standpoint - they just like to think they do. Trust me, Google Apple and China have all sifted through all your information that you've typed in for the last two decades - They know how little of it is actually worth something.

If you don't need to actually be in your office, then why wouldn't you just work in your living room at home? This is the stupidest thing I've ever heard.

It's good to see a lot of business' going to a practice of having employees work from home. It cuts their costs by requiring less real estate, and the employee cuts their commute or potentially a need for child care etc. Last time I had to phone WestJet I got to talking to the lady on the phone, and it turned out she was working from home herself.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

I can tell you that, having worked in the field for several years - a couple of things: (assuming sunny weather, 365 days)

- reading white papers in the sun will blind you
    - laptop batteries wont last nearly as long as the screen needs to be on full bright all the time
    - no printers
    - wind sucks
    - bugs suck
    - no AC sucks
    - wearing sun block all day gets old

I can see STUDENTS goofing off with something like this .... but not someone who is working.
    Last edited by revelations; 05-15-2019 at 08:01 AM.

My Ride
    The SHBARUS

fantastic for drug dealers, prostitutes and recyclers

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_..._Park_dllu.jpg

As this is a automobile forum, I'll just throw in this picture and ask the question. Where are the cars in the campus and workplace of the future?

Is the most valuable and desirable place to work live and play, a place where you cannot see a single vehicle? Dun dun duhhh!
    Last edited by ZenOps; 05-15-2019 at 08:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by lilmira View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    fantastic for drug dealers, prostitutes and recyclers
    Well, NASA Excluded Chinese people (cuz, too smart). So automatically that means less "cave" desk jobs for qualified nerds. And then they made wacky weed legal. So again - The Future!
    Last edited by ZenOps; 05-15-2019 at 08:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by revelations View Post
    I can tell you that, having worked in the field for several years - a couple of things: (assuming sunny weather, 365 days)

- reading white papers in the sun will blind you
    - laptop batteries wont last nearly as long as the screen needs to be on full bright all the time
    - no printers
    - wind sucks
    - bugs suck
    - no AC sucks
    - wearing sun block all day gets old

I can see STUDENTS goofing off with something like this .... but not someone who is working.
    I'd say most of the negatives there are isolation and lack of power, not necessarily the idea of being outside.

Quote Originally Posted by ZenOps View Post
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_..._Park_dllu.jpg

As this is a automobile forum, I'll just throw in this picture and ask the question. Where are the cars in the campus and workplace of the future?

Is the most valuable and desirable place to work live and play, a place where you cannot see a single vehicle? Dun dun duhhh!
    LOL. Underground, and a block away.

---

Quote Originally Posted by kenny View Post
    LOL. Underground, and a block away.

Exactly my point. Cars out of sight out of mind. Realistically you will never see the cars of anyone not on the way to your spot. That many cities have street parking is definitely dying off. Multilevel underground or highrise parcades are taking over everywhere - where you never have to see a car once you've left that building.

This being an enthusiast forum, I can imagine no one would consider street parking vehicle blight (like Detroit) to be a thing, but it is.
    Last edited by ZenOps; 05-15-2019 at 02:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ZenOps View Post
    Exactly my point. Cars out of sight out of mind. Realistically you will never see the cars of anyone not on the way to your spot. That many cities have street parking is definitely dying off. Multilevel underground or highrise parcades are taking over everywhere - where you never have to see a car once you've left that building.

This being an enthusiast forum, I can imagine no one would consider street parking vehicle blight (like Detroit) to be a thing, but it is.
    That is one company, but is literally surrounded by work campuses with surface/street parking as far as the eye can see.

That isn't going away anytime soon outside of a small number of cities that are super dense (SF, NYC) and need to reclaim space devoted to cars.
    ---