Quantcast
Speed Limits Are Too Low - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 32 of 32

Thread: Speed Limits Are Too Low

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Cruising the +15
    My Ride
    100% SAVAGE
    Posts
    5,970
    Rep Power
    25

    Default

    Conversely, if you are pulling a trailer on 2-lane rural or mountain highways, it's a lot easier on the people in passenger cars if you drive right at the 90 km/h speed limit, because then it's easy for them to pass you. If you speed up to 105 or 110, they'll still catch up to you, but it's much harder for them to get by. I've tested this in Alberta an BC and found that at 90, a line never forms behind me. Get significantly better fuel economy too.

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Stampede Central
    My Ride
    is easy to spot
    Posts
    1,733
    Rep Power
    14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Conversely, if you are pulling a trailer on 2-lane rural or mountain highways, it's a lot easier on the people in passenger cars if you drive right at the 90 km/h speed limit, because then it's easy for them to pass you. If you speed up to 105 or 110, they'll still catch up to you, but it's much harder for them to get by. I've tested this in Alberta an BC and found that at 90, a line never forms behind me. Get significantly better fuel economy too.
    But the typical driver goes 90, except in areas where passing is possible, where they speed up to prevent passing.

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    Leduc, Alberta
    Posts
    253
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 94boosted View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If more traffic is entering a freeway than it can clear at 100km/h you're absolutely right we'll still have congestion, that's inevitable but it's also different than what you had previously stated. You stated that if people traveled at the same speed it would create more congestion, that's what I'm saying doesn't make sense. You're example above of vehicles traveling at 69km/h and 71km/h surely would cause some very minor traffic jams due to the way phantom traffic jams work but compare that to the current scenario were you have cars on that same 70km/h road going 55km/h - 85km/h. It's clearly worse for traffic jams when a vehicle that is traveling 85km/h has to slam on their brakes for the one doing 55km/h.

    Not sure where you're attempting to go with this? Yes there is exceptions to every rule, I don't see how that disqualifies anything I have said?

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    2017 Civic Hatch ST
    Posts
    9,575
    Rep Power
    26

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by firebane View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I worked nights downtown for a few months and in the early hours of the morning I would find going down 6th at 50km/h I'd almost be guaranteed to hit red lights. The second I sped up to 55-60km/h down 6th it was green the whole way through.

    This became even more apparent if I hit the light red at 3rd street and 6th ave and then did 55-60km/h the whole way and it would be green the whole way.
    Yup, it's exactly the same going home at 5-6pm or whatever. Far right lane, 60ish Km/h and you're through all the way to Bow Trail on greens unless you get unlucky with a train. Go 50km/h or less and you're adding 5-10 mins to your commute depending how far down the avenue you start. McLeod trail is also the same - if you speed you get long stretches hitting every green, if you go 60 you get caught at almost every light or every other light, and some of them are 4-5 min waits (glenmore, southland, heritage). Speeding just a bit can cut massive times off your drives, so I've never understood people saying there is no point when it only gets you there a couple mins faster. That may be true on a very short highway drive, but in the city or a longer drive, speeding just a bit can make a big difference.

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Cruising the +15
    My Ride
    100% SAVAGE
    Posts
    5,970
    Rep Power
    25

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jwslam View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    But the typical driver goes 90, except in areas where passing is possible, where they speed up to prevent passing.
    Yeah, people need to embrace the slow lifestyle

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    Leduc, Alberta
    Posts
    253
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jwslam View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    But the typical driver goes 90, except in areas where passing is possible, where they speed up to prevent passing.
    I just got back from BC on Monday. Literally every semi the entire way was doing this. Had to rip up to 130-140km/h just to pass the douches who were doing 75km/h in the no passing zones prior to that.

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    17' Camaro SS 1LE, 17' Golf R, 18' F-150
    Posts
    2,311
    Rep Power
    16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Misterman View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Not sure where you're attempting to go with this? Yes there is exceptions to every rule, I don't see how that disqualifies anything I have said?
    It disproves your statement of “Everyone travelling the same speed just equals congestion” hence that was the one statement I picked out of your post…

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    Leduc, Alberta
    Posts
    253
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 94boosted View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It disproves your statement of “Everyone travelling the same speed just equals congestion” hence that was the one statement I picked out of your post…

    Ok, so you're just trying to argue some semantics for the sake of arguing?

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    17' Camaro SS 1LE, 17' Golf R, 18' F-150
    Posts
    2,311
    Rep Power
    16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Misterman View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Ok, so you're just trying to argue some semantics for the sake of arguing?
    Well it was sort of a pillar of your argument so....

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Cruising the +15
    My Ride
    100% SAVAGE
    Posts
    5,970
    Rep Power
    25

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by the Misterman
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Argh, nobody listens to what I'm saying! I'm so clear!
    Quote Originally Posted by also Misterman
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Argh, you knew what I meant, don't be so literal. Not every word means something!
    Yep.....

  11. #31
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    Leduc, Alberta
    Posts
    253
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 94boosted View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Well it was sort of a pillar of your argument so....
    You literally agreed with me..................... and then went on to introduce some other scenario to try and quantify that differential speeds can also cause congestion in some cases. Not sure what's up with the trolling? But if you're just looking to bait someone into an internet rage, you're on your own. Later.

  12. #32
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    17' Camaro SS 1LE, 17' Golf R, 18' F-150
    Posts
    2,311
    Rep Power
    16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Misterman View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You literally agreed with me..................... and then went on to introduce some other scenario to try and quantify that differential speeds can also cause congestion in some cases. Not sure what's up with the trolling? But if you're just looking to bait someone into an internet rage, you're on your own. Later.
    Man just give it a rest, you essentially said that speed differentials are over-rated unless they're 40km/h+ and that if everyone drove the same speed we'd have more congestion which is an asinine thing to say. I've proved that to you but you keep dragging this conversation out far longer than it needs to be. Let's move on to not further clutter this thread.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Similar Threads

  1. Airdrie.. awesome speed limits

    By KO22 in forum Society / Law / Current Events / Politics
    Replies: 32
    Latest Threads: 11-23-2009, 04:04 PM
  2. Fair Speed Limits

    By Q-TIP in forum Society / Law / Current Events / Politics
    Replies: 40
    Latest Threads: 05-13-2009, 10:28 PM
  3. Green Party wants lower speed limits

    By Canmorite in forum Society / Law / Current Events / Politics
    Replies: 23
    Latest Threads: 01-09-2009, 11:39 AM
  4. Do Police have speed limits?

    By Civ2NR in forum Street Encounters
    Replies: 43
    Latest Threads: 07-26-2008, 05:44 PM
  5. Behind the Wheel - Jan 9, 2008 - Speed Limits

    By skidmark in forum Society / Law / Current Events / Politics
    Replies: 5
    Latest Threads: 01-14-2008, 12:21 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •