Quantcast
School me on mattresses - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: School me on mattresses

A semi-detached home from 89Coupe (hahahaha)
    My Ride
    A Gallardo from SDS (hahahaha)

Quote Originally Posted by A790 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    lol @ $5,500 mattress.

Bought a $1,000 Endy and love it. And I've got a low back herniation. Sleep like a fucking baby.

I'll invest the $4,500 difference
    I love the irony of LOL'ing @ a $5,500 mattress, on a forum focussed (at least, it used to be) on performance and tuning cars of all things. Seriously?

Practically speaking, I have to think an "investment" in your sleep quality will pay dividends throughout the rest of your life... Certainly more tangible results than spending more than necessary on a car, which is the entire basis of this forum.

Now, I'm not saying everyone needs a $5,500 mattress and if you (or anyone else) can sleep like a baby on a $500 or $1,000 mattress, that's great... It just seems so strange to me that people generally have such a strong aversion to spending any sort of substantial amount on a mattress... A place where you'll basically spend 1/3 of your entire life (or 1/6 if you're crazy like Buster)

My Ride
    ute

Quote Originally Posted by you&me View Post
    I love the irony of LOL'ing @ a $5,500 mattress, on a forum focussed (at least, it used to be) on performance and tuning cars of all things. Seriously?

Practically speaking, I have to think an "investment" in your sleep quality will pay dividends throughout the rest of your life... Certainly more tangible results than spending more than necessary on a car, which is the entire basis of this forum.

Now, I'm not saying everyone needs a $5,500 mattress and if you (or anyone else) can sleep like a baby on a $500 or $1,000 mattress, that's great... It just seems so strange to me that people generally have such a strong aversion to spending any sort of substantial amount on a mattress... A place where you'll basically spend 1/3 of your entire life (or 1/6 if you're crazy like Buster)
    Yup. People will pay $12k or whatever to upgrade from a GTI to a Golf R, and think nothing of it. But a mattress you need to get in a box from amazon?

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    Yup. People will pay $12k or whatever to upgrade from a GTI to a Golf R, and think nothing of it. But a mattress you need to get in a box from amazon?
    Some people, others don't buy brand new, and sleep perfectly well on a $500 matress.

My Ride
    ute

Quote Originally Posted by Tik-Tok View Post
    Some people, others don't buy brand new, and sleep perfectly well on a $500 matress.
    Some people live off of a cup of rice and some chicken feet every day.

My Ride
    Canyonero

I joined the black sheep baller club this weekend- take delivery in a few weeks. Time will tell if it was worthwhile, but I will say the sales process was very cool. It's awesome to see how it's all put together.

Some people live off of a cup of rice and some chicken feet every day.
    In Calgary?

But probably nary a beyond member.
    Will fuck off, again.

My Ride
    Axis powers

I went to sleep country and got the bed in a box mainly because I wanted to know how it felt before randomly buying something
    They had 4 different models of their bloom series
    Sig nuked by mod.

My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX

Last mattress I got was a Tempurpedic from sleep country about 8 years ago. I think we paid about 5k I cant imagine making the same purchase now, probably would go with endy or casper. Recently got a casper for my MIL for about $700 and I havent heard any complaints other than the new smell it has when it first comes out of the box. The only thing bad about the tempurpedic is its so firm and you sink into it because its dense memory foam, ive heard that its not great for fucking on. But so far we havent had any problems.

My Ride
    A Slow Car

lol @ $5,500 mattress.

Bought a $1,000 Endy and love it. And I've got a low back herniation. Sleep like a fucking baby.

I'll invest the $4,500 difference
    Yeah we bought an Endy couple years ago and we love it. The $4,500 we saved went on A/C for the house lol
    “Straight roads are for fast cars, turns are for fast drivers.”

My Ride
    Silverado

TIL a mattress can cost $5g.

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

Quote Originally Posted by you&me View Post

It's not the price, it's how he's pushing it.

"Stop sleeping on a shitty mattress, get this $6k one instead."

Hilarious.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Quote Originally Posted by dirtsniffer View Post
    TIL a mattress can cost $5g.
    I recall listening to a podcast about mattresses! Their opening was about a guy going into a store and talking with a "lifestyle consultant", who later directed him to the very model of mattress that Oprah uses! For a cool 100,000 USD you too can sleep like Oprah.

https://gimletmedia.com/shows/surpri.../12-mattresses

As an aside, that whole podcast series is incredibly interesting, and entertaining.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

Quote Originally Posted by msommers View Post
    I recall listening to a podcast about mattresses! Their opening was about a guy going into a store and talking with a "lifestyle consultant", who later directed him to the very model of mattress that Oprah uses! For a cool 100,000 USD you too can sleep like Oprah.

https://gimletmedia.com/shows/surpri.../12-mattresses

As an aside, that whole podcast series is incredibly interesting, and entertaining.
    I just went from "you can spend $6k on a mattress?" to "you only spend $6k on a mattress?"

Everything is relative.

$6K for a mattress is nothing if that is truly the one that you slept the best on. You spend ~1/3 of your life sleeping and with how important good sleep is to your overall health, not to mention how important it is to avoid problems for the rest of your body (back/neck, etc.) a mattress is one thing I would spend almost any amount on if I truly slept better on it compared to something cheaper. And as already mentioned, with what people will spend that kind of money on (or many times more) that aren't nearly as important as sleep, it doesn't seem like a bad investment at all. It's a very personal thing though. Some people might need to spend that for their best sleep, others will be fine on a $500 Endy - just need to try stuff and see what works best for you. Take advantage of the 60-100 day in-home no-risk trials.

Thankfully I seem to prefer "regular" mattresses that land in the $1-2K range (mattresses are always 50-70% off anyway) so I don't need to spend that kind of money, but I would in a heartbeat if it would mean I would actually get better rest.

I'm personally not a fan of the mattress-in-a-box foam designs but this is a really good website for reviews if you're looking at them: https://sleepopolis.com/

My Ride
    ute

It's not the price, it's how he's pushing it.

"Stop sleeping on a shitty mattress, get this $6k one instead."

Hilarious.
    I assume there are a spectrum of mattresses in the middle in terms of pricing which would also be acceptable.

It's not different than someone coming on here and asking -because they don't know much about watches- should they should get a citizen or a seiko. Not knowing their budget, they might not realize that Rolex also exists. Many people don't even know that you can get true high-end mattresses and would pursue that option if they had the chance. I chatted with the owner of Black Sheep quite a bit, and discussed the socio-economic status of his customers. He said that it is surprising how diverse his clientele is. Many people buy expensive latex mattresses would would not be considered "baller" status. It's just how they choose to spend their money.

I assume there are a spectrum of mattresses in the middle in terms of pricing which would also be acceptable.

It's not different than someone coming on here and asking -because they don't know much about watches- should they should get a citizen or a seiko. Not knowing their budget, they might not realize that Rolex also exists. Many people don't even know that you can get true high-end mattresses and would pursue that option if they had the chance. I chatted with the owner of Black Sheep quite a bit, and discussed the socio-economic status of his customers. He said that it is surprising how diverse his clientele is. Many people buy expensive latex mattresses would would not be considered "baller" status. It's just how they choose to spend their money.
    Does a rolex tell a better time than the others? Because you insinuated that you need an expensive mattress to get a quality sleep.

My Ride
    ute

Quote Originally Posted by lasimmon View Post
    Does a rolex tell a better time than the others? Because you insinuated that you need an expensive mattress to get a quality sleep.
    No, I didn't. I said that a better quality mattress gives you a better quality experience.

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

No, I didn't. I said that a better quality mattress gives you a better quality experience.
    Right. My point re: the Endy was a direct counterpoint to that. I had a $3.5k whatever the fuck it was a few years back. Replaced it with a $1k Endy. Sleep better.

Time will tell if the Endy is garbage or not, but for the past six months or so it has been great.

In any case, I'm glad you enjoy your mattress. Sucks you only get 4 hours of sleep a night though. I'm dealing with some health shit at the moment that has left me in the same boat. Fuck what I wouldn't give for 7+ hours of sleep every night.

My Ride
    ute

I've always been a 4 hour a night guy. It's not good for you

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Quote Originally Posted by lasimmon View Post
    Fun Fact, the point of a Rolex isn't to tell time.

Rolex's are quite good, arguably the best, at their intended purpose. Which is dick swinging.

A+ Thread
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast