Quantcast
School me on mattresses - Page 4 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: School me on mattresses

Quote Originally Posted by Gman.45 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I slept on a waterbed from about 8 years old until I left home at 17. I've often wondered if I should try one out again.
    Apparently the newer ones are very good and nothing like the ones most of us remember fromt 15-20 years ago. I haven't been able to try one myself though.

Basically what I need to find is the coolest possible bed - that's why the Purple mattress seems so good.

My Ride
    Summer car or work truck

I also had one for my entire childhood until I moved out. My parents had a king size that was awesome. A bunch of baffels in it and big things that looked like weights. Where can you buy them? Not that I have been looking. Just never notice them.

My Ride
    '16 F150 Lariat, 17 Shelby GT350, '21 Explorer ST

Quote Originally Posted by sikid111 View Post
    Haha that'll give you a bad back
    sometimes mattress shopping takes you out of your comfort zone.

My Ride
    Blue boy

Back at it. Tried both Logan & Coves, the plush one was too soft and sagged in the middle after a month. The luxury firm one was good for the first 2 months then it started sinking and started waking up with back pain .

Quote Originally Posted by G-ZUS View Post
    Back at it. Tried both Logan & Coves, the plush one was too soft and sagged in the middle after a month. The luxury firm one was good for the first 2 months then it started sinking and started waking up with back pain .
    Good to know about Logan & Cove, I was curious about it, thinking of getting the firm one. I just returned a Casper original, did not like the sink feeling when sitting on it.

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

Still loving the Endy.

My Ride
    93 240sx SE, 17 Infiniti Q50S, 2008 Highlander

Bought a Zinus 14" King Hybrid Cooling Gel Mattress off Amazon. Its a combo springs + foam mattress. For the price I paid $460 shipped to my door (paid $535 originally but it arrived 4 days late $75 credit was given). Been sleeping on it for 2 months. Amazing sleep. Its very firm but yet oddly soft and cradles you. I amazed that a foam mattress can support a big guy and give me no back pains. Coming from a traditional spring mattress I would always wake up achy.

These new foam mattress are something else. I am convinced and would buy another one again. Don't think I would buy pure foam though.
    Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

Seems like the appropriate place to post an update.

We bought a Casper Hybrid King. We're both combination sleepers (back/side) and find it extremely comfortable. Firm yet soft is the best way I can describe it. Perfect amount of bounce, and virtually zero motion transfer. Edge support is good too, since that's where I usually sleep (the other half if a star fish lol). Doesn't seem hot, but I won't know until the summer.

Interesting story though - have any of you actually measured your online-order mattress? The first one we received (after waiting 2 weeks) was a queen labeled as a king. Both the box it came in and the tag stitched to the mattress itself said "King" and finished size "76X80", however it was a queen size. Returned it and waited another 2 weeks for a King. Second one looked like a king, but measured 74X76". Casper said their tolerance is only 1", so it looks like we will be getting a THIRD mattress. Annoying, but at least we can use the current one until the new one comes. They are made in the USA as well, not overseas.

So, has anyone actually measured their mattress? Seems to be some pretty significant variation.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 01-15-2020 at 03:14 PM.

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    Seems like the appropriate place to post an update.

We bought a Casper Hybrid King. We're both combination sleepers (back/side) and find it extremely comfortable. Firm yet soft is the best way I can describe it. Perfect amount of bounce, and virtually zero motion transfer. Edge support is good too, since that's where I usually sleep (the other half if a star fish lol). Doesn't seem hot, but I won't know until the summer.

Interesting story though - have any of you actually measured your online-order mattress? The first one we received (after waiting 2 weeks) was a queen labeled as a king. Both the box it came in and the tag stitched to the mattress itself said "King" and finished size "76X80", however it was a queen size. Returned it and waited another 2 weeks for a King. Second one looked like a king, but measured 74X76". Casper said their tolerance is only 1", so it looks like we will be getting a THIRD mattress. Annoying, but at least we can use the current one until the new one comes. They are made in the USA as well, not overseas.

So, has anyone actually measured their mattress? Seems to be some pretty significant variation.

Good point, I only measured the advertised thickness, 14" once air'd out, and it was 14".
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

My Ride
    M3P

Who was the Beyonder that worked at Sleep Country?

I have some questions for them and I couldn’t find the original thread he was posting in.

TIA

Quote Originally Posted by hurrdurr View Post
    Who was the Beyonder that worked at Sleep Country?

I have some questions for them and I couldn’t find the original thread he was posting in.

TIA
    I think the guy you're thinking of (Kelly?) worked at The Brick mattress store and he doesn't anymore, to my knowledge. If there was another beyonder that sold mattresses then I don't know about it.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 02-18-2020 at 12:57 PM.

My Ride
    M3P

I think the guy you're thinking of (Kelly?) worked at The Brick mattress store and he doesn't anymore, to my knowledge. If there was another beyonder that sold mattresses then I don't know about it.
    Thanks for that

My Ride
    rally pig

@kvg but yeah he no longer works there and I don't think he's very active anymore on Beyond.

we bought an Endy King mattress last year and happy with it and find it pretty comfy, firm but still soft enough for side sleepers like me.
    I also added a foam mattress on my side

My Ride
    '13 MazdaSpeed 3, Zoom Zoom!

Anyone bought a mattress from Costco?

Been eyeing up the Stern's and Foster. Any opinions?
    My Karma ran over your Dogma

Quote Originally Posted by cidley69 View Post
    Anyone bought a mattress from Costco?

Been eyeing up the Stern's and Foster. Any opinions?
    Don't they make a wide variety of models? It might be hard to get opinions without exact model numbers and even then mattresses are just so personal. Or do you mean the Kirkland one? If it looks like it will suit your sleeping style, might be best just to try it out and use the return policy if you don't like it. Personally though, I wouldn't buy a mattress without at least laying on it for 5-10 mins in a store to get a taste - not sure if you can do that in the warehouse or not but when I've seen them they are all vertical in a rack.

We've had our Casper Hybrid now for about 1.5 months and it is by far the most comfortable mattress I have ever slept on, either at home or in hotels. I don't even know how I would change it if I could. I actually didn't expect to love it as much as I do but I have been getting the best sleeps in recent memory and my back never gets sore anymore. I like to sink in a bit, but not be hot, and have lots of bounce/pushback - kind of a weightless feeling. I'm also a side/combo sleeper so the zoned support foam is a really nice touch. I am a very hot sleeper and the mattress does not retain heat at all. I can't help you with the Stern's and Foster, but I would suggest anyone shopping go lay on a Casper Hybrid - The Bay has them and so does the Casper storefront in Chinook.

I think I'd really like the Purple mattress as well, but they don't ship the one with springs in Canada, and there is nowhere to test it out first as it is a USA only company.

My Ride

Don't they make a wide variety of models? It might be hard to get opinions without exact model numbers and even then mattresses are just so personal. Or do you mean the Kirkland one? If it looks like it will suit your sleeping style, might be best just to try it out and use the return policy if you don't like it. Personally though, I wouldn't buy a mattress without at least laying on it for 5-10 mins in a store to get a taste - not sure if you can do that in the warehouse or not but when I've seen them they are all vertical in a rack.

We've had our Casper Hybrid now for about 1.5 months and it is by far the most comfortable mattress I have ever slept on, either at home or in hotels. I don't even know how I would change it if I could. I actually didn't expect to love it as much as I do but I have been getting the best sleeps in recent memory and my back never gets sore anymore. I like to sink in a bit, but not be hot, and have lots of bounce/pushback - kind of a weightless feeling. I'm also a side/combo sleeper so the zoned support foam is a really nice touch. I am a very hot sleeper and the mattress does not retain heat at all. I can't help you with the Stern's and Foster, but I would suggest anyone shopping go lay on a Casper Hybrid - The Bay has them and so does the Casper storefront in Chinook.

I think I'd really like the Purple mattress as well, but they don't ship the one with springs in Canada, and there is nowhere to test it out first as it is a USA only company.

So did the 3rd mattress finally end up being 76x80? How did the returns work? Did you have to compress it back in a box?

I was at the Casper store, was shocked at how nice the mattresses were. Same with the pillows.

Quote Originally Posted by dj_rice View Post
    So did the 3rd mattress finally end up being 76x80? How did the returns work? Did you have to compress it back in a box?
    Lol, yeah it was the correct size. No you don't have to compress it, but it's a PITA to get mattress back down the stairs uncompressed - at least the ones I had to bring down weren't king size

They literally use 1-800-JUNK to come pick it up and then they claim they donate it - they don't resell anything. Return was easy and the stores were nice, but the wait times between everything was annoying. I bought the first one from The Bay and the others from the actual Casper store - I would not deal with The Bay again. I suspect I just got unlucky with an order from a bad batch, but then again I doubt many people actually measure their mattresses - I probably wouldn't have either to be honest if the first one I got wasn't obviously a queen which made me suspicious of all future mattresses.

Quote Originally Posted by suntan View Post
    I was at the Casper store, was shocked at how nice the mattresses were. Same with the pillows.
    Yeah it surprised me as well, before I began my shopping/research I thought all they had were the straight foam mattresses which I actually don't like at all and are rock hard (for me). Now that they have the Hybrid (the one I got) and the Wave Hybrid (bit too soft for me and more expensive) they have really upped their game. The Hybrid gets top marks in Consumer Reports' simulated durability testing too, for whatever that's worth.

We have the Casper down pillows and they are expensive but worth it. For sheets and duvet cover, IMO they are all the same, we just got some from Amazon and they feel exactly the same as the expensive Casper ones, as far as I can tell anyway. And when they wear out I won't feel so bad about throwing them out.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 03-10-2020 at 10:36 AM.

I think were going to try one of these foam mattresses out. Id really like to try it out first though, The casper store in Chinook is closed though and it looks like i can try an endy at urban barn. They both got good reviews so not sure

You guys are right about cheaping out on such an important thing lol When you work out what a good mattress costs over the life of it(10 years for us) youre paying next to nothing per month for probably one of the most crucial things you can spend money on. Even a $5000 mattress would only be about $40/month.
    and I did not have the only say in the matter (most people just want it done ASAP and don't care about quality).
    If anything we made a better decision because we had a consensus and were all on the same page.

My Ride
    Toyota Christopher Lambert

We just got out new mattress from Logan & Cove on the weekend, loving it so far, made here in Calgary too which was surprising. Decided to go with a hybrid model over pure memory foam like our last mattress was.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 LastLast