Quantcast
2020 Toyota Supra Test Numbers - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020 Toyota Supra Test Numbers

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Quote Originally Posted by heavyD View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Maybe I'm on the wrong BMW forums but I'm just not seeing the reliability issues people talk about as nobody is having issues with M2's anyway. The N55 was bulletproof and the B58 is a more stout version with closed deck block as I understand it's the V8 engines on modern BMW's that can be unreliable. These engines are pretty well in every model of BMW so if they weren't reliable you would hear a lot about it. Sorry but nobody here should ever be considering an M240i over a Supra. Maybe some of you should drive that car first because it's nothing like an M2 and will be nothing like the Supra. It doesn't get the M3/M4 rear differential and lacks the suspension and brakes as on the forums a few people have tried to mod their M240i's to reach M2 levels and they all end up saying it wasn't worth it at the end. Below is a good comparison and like everyone else says the 240i just isn't the same and seeing the Supra handles better and is faster than an M2 you would be crazy to opt for an M240i.

https://www.carthrottle.com/post/6-k...-m2-and-m240i/
    So BMW actually made an engine that lasts 150,000kms+ (without large repairs/rebuilds) with proper maintenance??

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 07-08-2019 at 12:18 AM.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

The N54's had some issues. 10 years and 3 generations ago.

And people still prefer the N54's because of tuning potential. Tuners dgaf about long term reliability, talking about massive supra mods and 150k km in the same context is kindof laughable.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

Heh, so close to 350 whp and 430+ ft/lb....I might take a look at one of these once some used 1 year-ish old ones come up for sale. I won't keep it long enough to worry about long term longevity, but I really like the inline 6 BMW motors, and I guess I'm one of the minority that really likes the looks of the new Supra. Reviews I've watched haven't been too bad either. I was considering this spring/summer picking up a $20kish Toyota 86 and then putting 7 to 10k into it (supercharger/tune/ whatever is left for suspension/wheels/tire), but now I may wait until next year and go for a used Supra. Big price jump, but I just want a 2 seat (yes I know the 86 is 4, but the backseats are luggage only pretty much as there are no kids) summer car, and as much as I liked the new Miata, I felt I'd get more of what I was looking for with a boosted 86. Now for the $, and that power and the numbers from the Supra, it'll be worth a look and maybe the wait. I'll try and drive one this spring/summer somehow and decide then.
    Last edited by Gman.45; 05-21-2019 at 09:03 PM.

My Ride
    AWD grandpa wagon

My Ride
    N/A V8, TTV6, DOHC N/A V6

Quote Originally Posted by HiSpec View Post
    Yeah! Wtf happened there?

Supra is so underrated.
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age."

-H.P. Lovecraft

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Last edited by msommers; 07-10-2019 at 09:33 AM.
    Ultracrepidarian

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-18-2019 at 05:18 PM.

My Ride
    is faster than yours

Quote Originally Posted by HiSpec View Post
    Hadn't really been paying attention to the new Supra so this video is the first time I really got a good look at it since earlier renderings...pretty impressed with the styling/proportions.

My Ride
    370Z duhh

Quote Originally Posted by Sugarphreak View Post
    I can't believe this car of all cars isn't offered with a manual
    Yup, boring as hell.

My Ride
    Model 3 Performance

These are hitting local dealers. Just saw a yellow in freight on Barlow Trail. Looks smaller in person than photos. Profile looks great though. I kind of want one but I will wait as I feel these will receive upgrades over the years.

Supra is live on Toyota!

MSRP 65k. Is this a buy???!!!
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    has a stick axle

Last edited by KRyn; 03-11-2022 at 11:05 AM.

My Ride
    rs4, ram, 675f3

There is one out in my neighborhood. Looks very small and not that different from a brz

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-18-2019 at 05:26 PM.

I am much less surprised by the performance numbers than some other folks - these days there are huge sedans easily doing sub-4 second 0-60 and low 12sec 1/4 mile times, and a handful even better than that. I would expect the successor to a dedicated iconic sports car to be at least in the same ballpark at that price-point. I think all the numbers are right about where they ought to be.

I don't know how many people will be cross shopping the Supra with the C8 because already the existing Corvettes are pretty good performance/dollar and there is no shortage of Caymans, 911's, M3's, C63's, etc. on the road. I suspect the latter vehicles are still easier to live with day-to-day, which is a big factor for some. I am not sure that will change too much with the introduction of the C8 as I still think they are different buyer demographics. It'll be interesting to see where the dust settles in a few years for sure.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-18-2019 at 05:25 PM.

My Ride
    rs4, ram, 675f3

I keep thinking there is a ton of cars that actually do a sub 4.5 0-60 but it’s actaully not that true. Under 50k at least. Under 100k I’m sure there is a handful but it’s not overly common. I’ll pick the cars I know golf r and s4 are both right at 4.5 with the right tranny. I could be wrong but sub 4 sec is pretty rare under 100k

They are in the exact same market to me; both are ~70K rear wheel drive track focused automatic two seater sports cars. The main difference being that the Toyota is far slower in the straight, and I suspect slower on the curves as well. There may be buyers that are just in love with the styling, but I think a lot of people will have a hard time overlooking the gap in performance given the price similarity. The only thing that could change this is if Toyota put a manual in it, then they could just shrug it off because they have the "drivers" car of the two. Right now I just can't see how people won't cross shop these two.

I agree that they Cayman also falls into this group as well. Although Porsche seems more like it appeals to the type of people who don't mind dropping 20K on options. The Toyota and C8 are going to reel in the people who are seeking out more of a bargain IMO.

The M3 and C63's of the world are more like power sedans; I think they appeal to a totally different demographic that is looking for a blend of performance and practicality.
    Fair point on the M3/C63, but I do think a lot of people choose those because you can get similar performance to a lot of dedicated sports cars and still carry 4 people or drive them year-round very comfortably.

It's pretty easy to put $15-$20K of options on a Corvette from what I can see. Convertible alone is something like a $5K premium just for a soft-top and you can add packages that get you close to $90K before taxes & fees on what used to be a base model Stingray. I can't see the C8 being much different in that regard, especially if they want to advertise a low base price, if anything there might be even more options because of that. Porsche probably has more ridiculous options available, like special stitching for a few grand, but I don't know how popular those are and it doesn't seem to be very difficult to add $20K in options to either car if you wanted to. I see lots of base model Porsches around too - especially now that the cheapest 911's are twin turbo, but those start at $100K. I am not as familiar with the new 718 but it looks like it is the closest price competitor to the Corvette in terms of base price.

The Corvette has always been about performance for the dollar and the C8 follows the same trend, so I don't see the overall sales dynamic changing much. When the C7 came out it was a lot better than the C6 and this is more of the same trend. Just my opinion though, nobody knows for sure just yet. I suspect the Supra is still a better as a daily driver/commuter than the C8, and is probably a lot more reasonable to drive in the winter if necessary (I imagine the vast majority of C8s will be strictly summer cars). On the other hand I suspect the C8 will be better at pretty much every performance metric as it is more of a dedicated sports car. If all you care about is raw performance though, there is almost always something cheaper. The corvette has had better performance than lots of cars that still seem to sell really well over the years, so I don't know what would be different this time around. I don't think there will be many Supra buyers cross-shipping the C8 and vise versa but maybe I will be wrong. I'm very curious to see it, it looks like they addressed most of my complaints with the outgoing model.

My Ride
    *The First*

I can't believe this car of all cars isn't offered with a manual
    It's amazing that their market research could show "no one wants that" when everyone seems to talk about wanting it.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast