Quantcast
Anyone want an IT job? - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Anyone want an IT job?

My Ride
    2015 Hyundai Veloster

Quote Originally Posted by Xtrema View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So Mar, you are not running a Microsoft shop at all at that place of business?

Then I think $20/hr could be a bit low.
    It's over $20. Varying with experience.
    And Microsoft is the devil, I'd rather run to every station and back than give them a dollar.
    Originally posted by Go4Long
    or else what? you'll turn on the caps lock?
    you do realize this is the internet right? lol
    Originally posted by rob the knob
    mar, you are good guy at heart
    you must realize your limitations
    then you will be happy if you fine place in live
    Originally posted by blitz
    Jesus man, I know you like Transformers, but you need to get out more. No one should get this upset over a movie based on children's toys.

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

Quote Originally Posted by Mar View Post
    And Microsoft is the devil, I'd rather run to every station and back than give them a dollar.
    Well that about sums up everything

40 workstation environment should be easily supported by less than 1 FTE - including OS upgrades etc. Back end possible being more but sounds like servers don't exist here.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Good luck then.

Another option is a central management system like Pulseway. At least it tells you graphically whats happening and allows for patches to be pushed through manually.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by macman64 View Post
    40 workstation environment should be easily supported by less than 1 FTE - including OS upgrades etc. Back end possible being more but sounds like servers don't exist here.
    They are cutting corners everywhere possible with regards to hardware/software. Its a mess - esp. based on past posts.

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

Quote Originally Posted by firebane View Post
    Well that about sums up everything
    Yup

Quote Originally Posted by d'z nutz View Post
    if you look back at mar's history of threads, i don't think it's his clients that are the problem.
    this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Disoblige View Post
    Arash reminds me of Mar but I can't tell which one is more stupid.
    Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE View Post
    Yeah well I wonder how they get the soft flowing caramel inside the Caramilk bar but you don't see me making a god damn thread about it. Slap your wife Baygirl, straighten him out.

My Ride
    2015 Hyundai Veloster

Quote Originally Posted by revelations View Post
    They are cutting corners everywhere possible with regards to hardware/software. Its a mess - esp. based on past posts.
    Us? No we're not, we pay thousands of dollars a month in licensing costs. I'm not sure why you would think that.
    Jesus man, I know you like Transformers, but you need to get out more. No one should get this upset over a movie based on children's toys.

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

Us? No we're not, we pay thousands of dollars a month in licensing costs. I'm not sure why you would think that.
    Licensing for specific software doesn't count.

We are talking about infrastructure costs for a small business that you are screwing with and trying to keep things cheap by hiring slave labor to manage an office and thinking its ok.

This thread went exactly how I've seen so many small places with contracts out run a business so poorly.

When the thread started I actually thought about asking a few peeps I know, but now... not a chance.

My Ride
    2015 Hyundai Veloster

Licensing for specific software doesn't count.

We are talking about infrastructure costs for a small business that you are screwing with and trying to keep things cheap by hiring slave labor to manage an office and thinking its ok.

This thread went exactly how I've seen so many small places with contracts out run a business so poorly.

When the thread started I actually thought about asking a few peeps I know, but now... not a chance.
    I have no idea what you're talking about, I've been managing the IT here for 10 years. Who's doing slave labour? $50,000 per year is a pretty good paycheque for some simple IT work, I know a lot of people that make far less.
    I'm not sure why you think anything is running poorly, I've indicated nothing to that fact anywhere in this thread.

I have no clue where you're getting this, don't be telling people things like that.

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

I have no idea what you're talking about, I've been managing the IT here for 10 years. Who's doing slave labour? $50,000 per year is a pretty good paycheque for some simple IT work, I know a lot of people that make far less.
    I'm not sure why you think anything is running poorly, I've indicated nothing to that fact anywhere in this thread.

I have no clue where you're getting this, don't be telling people things like that.
    How do you expect a person to ensure 40 workstations are always up to date security wise?
    How do you expect a person to ensure 40 workstations have properly installed and up to date antivirus?
    What measures do you have in place for such things as malware/spyware/virus infections?
    What measures do you have for licensing in place? One off software vs multi-license software?

Your expecting 1 person to be paid $20 to manage an entire office that sounds like from your posts nothing like this is in place.

My Ride
    992 T-hawk Golf R

Calgary’s unemployment rate is ~7% and Mar is trying to offer a job on Beyond. Instead of shitting on him and his business, simply don’t apply for the position and move on.
    I like neat cars.

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

Quote Originally Posted by 90_Shelby View Post
    Calgary’s unemployment rate is ~7% and Mar is trying to offer a job on Beyond. Instead of shitting on him and his business, simply don’t apply for the position and move on.
    Nobody is shitting on him. We asked some honest questions about the role of which they replied and those who have any knowledge know it's a bad wage and a badly managed site.

My Ride
    Silverado

I'm pretty sure the company I work for doesn't have antivirus, I didn't even know if was a thing. The malware, virus strategy is to send out fake phishing emails.

Thousands of work stations.

But I have no idea cause I'm not in IT

Sadly, you make a good point.

Despite Mar shooting himself in the foot by being anti-<insert effective solution here>, a 40 workstation environment isn't that hard to manage for an eager Jr. There are enough open-source solutions to (kinda) solve all the issues firebane brings up and, despite being a bad idea, Mar's willing to pay someone to fart around and learn.

All-in-all, I'll give this a 8/10 for a Mar thread. He delivered as expected, but then the audience started to heckle itself...

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

History has shown Mar has a way of acting like nothing's wrong even though it's quite apparent there is something that is.

My Ride
    2015 Hyundai Veloster

How do you expect a person to ensure 40 workstations are always up to date security wise?
    How do you expect a person to ensure 40 workstations have properly installed and up to date antivirus?
    What measures do you have in place for such things as malware/spyware/virus infections?
    What measures do you have for licensing in place? One off software vs multi-license software?

Your expecting 1 person to be paid $20 to manage an entire office that sounds like from your posts nothing like this is in place.
    We have Trend Micro on each work station with an administrative account that allows us to monitor all installs from the dashboard and perform scans if we want to. If any one machine gets an infection, it alerts us and we can quarantine the machine until we can go wipe it. It's not exactly hard to sit at a computer and check the dashboard once every morning, that's all I do now.

I do all of the purchasing for the company so before the new employee gets their machine, we set it up and install anti-virus on it. Nobody else buys anything. Depending on the infection we'll either quarantine the infected files or we'll wipe the machine if it's really bad.

The only licensing we have is as follows:
    - AutoCAD for our designers, I get them whichever version they need.
    - FoxIt
    - Planswift
    - Trend Micro for anti-virus
    - 5 Microsoft Office licenses for a few whiners that want it.
    - A Google account for each employee (includes email, Sheets, Docs, Drive.....)
    - IP telephony for each employee
    - Quickbooks for all accounting
    - inventory software for about 10 users that deal with inventory and point of sale
    - camera licenses for surveillance
    - Dropbox for only a few people that can't use Drive
    - anything else we need, my team writes it. All of our quoting, bill of materials, purchase orders, scheduling, ordering, trucking, crews, deposits, payments all work on custom software built by me and my team.

If your friend has a better suggestion for licensing, message me and I'll send you my email address to get a resume. We don't cut corners and we certainly don't do anything half ass. Please don't accuse me of that, I take things I do seriously, unlike my posts here which are never serious at all.

Literally today's job was:
    - go to reception and pick up an Amazon order
    - open order, remove monitors, deliver them to employees that needed a third monitor for three dimensional modelling
    - install unloaded patch panel in server rack
    - go pick up a second Amazon order from reception
    - remove internet cables from loaded patch panel. Attach keystone, place in new unloaded patch panel. Repeat 23 times to empty out the loaded patch panel and remove it from the rack. Repeat for 3 other panels.
    - tone and label all internet cabling in the server room so we can pull it all back into the attic and feed it down through a different hole to organize it properly (huge job).
    - migrate all existing Quickbooks users from a local Quickbooks install to our new externally hosted server accessed via RDP (suggested here in another of my threads.....I took your advice).
    - modify a user's permissions in the keyfob system
    - ask accounting to purchase an Office license for a user that needs one
    - set up an Amazon EC2 instance and test MySQL load times on a server with half the power of our on-premise server (preparation to migrate our hosted web services)
    - a user sent an SOS to me because they couldn't connect to the wired internet anymore. Their network adapter somehow disappeared so a reboot fixed it.
    - pull an additional 40 cables into the server room and organize them into separate strands in preparation for patching with office expansion.
    - call Telus and have them set up one of our numbers to forward to 5 of our SIP lines in rotation. Test with 5 different mobile phones hijacked from nearby employees. Success.

I'm a software developer and I haven't written any code in weeks, I need someone to do all this junk for me so I can get back to the code.

Last edited by Amysicle; 12-06-2019 at 08:40 PM.

My Ride
    V8s

My thoughts exactly. There's probably piles of people out there that would want a job like this.

Nobody is shitting on him. [snip] it's a bad wage and a badly managed site.
    Ok then.

So much this! Personally i think it’s a great job for an eager junior person. I would even go so far to say that the apparent issues make it even a better opportunity since it will be challenging and give motivation to automate/improve things.

Jesus Christ, my head is spinning from reading this. I can't imagine dealing with any of this bullshit, as an employer or employee. Holy fuck. I kinda like my small life.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast