Quantcast
90s Fast N Furious style mods coming back? - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: 90s Fast N Furious style mods coming back?

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Quote Originally Posted by D'z Nutz View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I was changing my wiper blades last weekend and suddenly remembered the single wiper arm mods from the 90's haha
    No way! I had double wiper blades .... 90s bad assssss

YYC & a huge farm in the (deep) south, central Sask
    My Ride
    12 cars trucks & bikes. From 1938 till new.

Quote Originally Posted by gogreen View Post
    In the hot rod and custom car world it's common for people to build cars to a certain "period-correct" style to emulate what would have been done at that time, in extreme cases using only parts that would have been available. I wondered if the same might happen with this style as well. The timing seems about right. One wonders if there's a stockpile of unsold body kits kicking around left over from when they went out of fashion.
    I've seen that too, I'm on a forum called the "HAMB" or "Hokey Ass Message Board" and they live this ideal. All the hot rods have to be pre 1964 in terms of everything. Drives me nuts as if LS engines and turbo set ups were available in the 60's they'd be rocking those until the cows come home,. So 55 years later, why are they still celebrating hot rods from that era, 1950's technology Hillborn injection, old OLD school parts. Yet it's almost a celebrated sub culture among that community. I asked about swapping modern suspension, steering and a TT LS for my 38 half ton build, and I'm amazed I wasnt banned for those questions alone. Just.... no thanks. Technology is a pretty amazing drug last time I checked. We've evolved a lot in the last 55 years, why not celebrate it, but of course dont tell them that, that's utter blasphemy.
    Last edited by Graham_A_M; 05-22-2019 at 08:47 PM.
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side"

My Ride
    is faster than yours

Quote Originally Posted by Graham_A_M View Post
    I've seen that too, I'm on a forum called the "HAMB" or "Hokey Ass Message Board" and they live this ideal. All the hot rods have to be pre 1964 in terms of everything. Drives me nuts as if LS engines and turbo set ups were available in the 60's they'd be rocking those until the cows come home,. So 55 years later, why are they still celebrating hot rods from that era, 1950's technology Hillborn injection, old OLD school parts. Yet it's almost a celebrated sub culture among that community. I asked about swapping modern suspension, steering and a TT LS for my 38 half ton build, and I'm amazed I wasnt banned for those questions alone. Just.... no thanks. Technology is a pretty amazing drug last time I checked. We've evolved a lot in the last 55 years, why not celebrate it, but of course dont tell them that, that's utter blasphemy.
    There’s a 4-eyed Foxbody forum that’s similar though they are okay with Coyote swaps...but they freak the fuck out with LS swaps!

I see a guy driving around a Honda CRX from the late 90s and its refreshing to see it lasted.
    Tasteful mods on it.
    No Kaminari Avenger Vader Attack front bumper cover with no matching sideskirts or Altezza rear lights, etc.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

The CRX is an awesome car.

My Ride
    Jeep of Theseus

I mean, "golden era" hotrodding is basically the entire point of the H.A.M.B. - they specifically eschew modern tech. No idea why you'd go there and ask about LS swaps, that's like going to a vegan forum to ask the best way to cook your steak.

My Ride
    '05 Subaru LGT wagon (5MT)

I restore bikes every once in a while and that culture is similar - people build "period correct" but not "catalog correct" bikes all the time, they are kind of like fake "survivors". That is actually what I like to do as well, build it the way I would've built it in, say, 1999. I think cars are going to be similar with resto-mods, restorations and period correct hot rods (or sport compacts). I love watching the retro Motorweek episodes on YT, there was an episode with the 22B and it showed a few modified 2.5 RS cars with turbos and JDM body work, very cool stuff. I would love to build a 2.5 RSTi similar to how they were built back then. The problem is it means a pricey full restoration on the rusted bodies that are around.

I also think major body work has come back into style as a result of companies like Rocket Bunny and RWB.

My Ride
    2014 Fit Sport

I'm also a member, and I think in general they don't mind if you celebrate new technology so long as you do it somewhere else. I also find there's a certain amount of leeway available if a car uses modern technology but still maintains a traditional aesthetic. For instance, twin turbos under the hood of a traditionally-styled custom can be acceptable whereas giant turbos sticking above the cowl of a fenderless car would be a no-go and better suited to another forum. There's also been an ongoing discussion on whether airbag suspension is traditional or not, and the opinion of the site owner himself was that using them to achieve a certain stance (low but not extremely so) while maintaining driveability was cool, but laying frame not so much. Some things just look and sound cool regardless of the fact that more recent technology would perform better or be easier to live with (i.e. Hilborn injection). Not really any different than 90's body kits in that respect where appearance is placed above actual functional need.

Back on topic, I find the styling of the Civic Type R to be very much like the aftermarket big mouth kits like the Prelude posted above.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2