Quantcast
Another what truck to buy - under $8k - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Another what truck to buy - under $8k

My Ride
    Nissan x2

Default Another what truck to buy - under $8k

Looking to buy a truck because I'm tired of stuffing crap into an X1. I'll be selling my TL eventually so this will essentially be my own means of transport. I'd like to keep it under $8k.

Requirements:
    -4x4
    -Reliability
    -Good aftermarket support
    -Easy to work on (I can do timing belts and the exterior work but don't want to rebuild engines or swap them). I can handle suspension work.
    -Will start in -30.

Situation - I walk to work in the summer and winter for now, unless we decide to buy something but even then it'll be a 10min drive max. Fuel economy and towing capacity is not really important, i won't be pulling trailers or hauling tones of stuff. Maybe the odd dump run or moving house holds. Truck will stay within the city 95% of the time as we mainly drive the X1 on road trips. Again I know nothing about trucks, nor have I owned one, so I need some suggestions.

So far there is a 98 Tacoma w/ 129k on the clock. Wants $8.2k for it. Drove really nice and pretty much as I expected. Lifted slow go-cart. The frame went through the rust recall and there weren't any leaks or surprises underneath. Timing belt done @ 120k. Some of the bushings looked worn, but then again its a 1998. Engine bay looked mint.

Tomorrow I'm going to look at a 2005 Tundra SR5, w/ 290k. Asking $7k. Tones of "front end" work and other recent maintenance. I'd say the two are on-par for recent work done.

I know these are two completely different trucks, but besides the obvious size difference, should I go with one over the other? Any other brand/model I should look at?

My Ride
    Canyonero

I'd go for the '98 taco all day long, particularly if it's just your 'round town beater and do it all rig. Drive it for a few years and sell it for 10.

edit: it's also worth stating that an '05 Tundra won't have any real meaningful interior improvement over the taco. And it's got another 100+k on it. no brainer.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I hate the feel of the tundra. Taco is pretty much perfect for your use, but check smaller trucks from other brands too. Sounds like you have no need of a half ton or larger.

My Ride
    Nissan x2

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Sounds like you have no need of a half ton or larger.
    Essentially no. However having the extra cab room available would be an advantage over the single cab of the Taco. Plus adults can actually sit in the back of the Tundra. It's like buying a house without kids, then having two and realising you need more bedrooms.

My Ride
    2007 4Runner

Care to send me the details or ad for the 98 Tacoma as I'd be interested in this myself.

My Ride
    Nissan x2

Quote Originally Posted by Kjonus View Post
    Care to send me the details or ad for the 98 Tacoma as I'd be interested in this myself.
    https://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/...rce=ios_social

My Ride
    Nissan x2

Original tundra deal fell through.

Found another 2005 however going through a walk around video looks like frame has some rust on it. Thoughts?

Attachment 89632

My Ride
    A4/Tundra

Most of the first gen tundra frames will need a good look. Hard to tell but looks like surface rust. Check the spare tire carrier (drop the tire), gas tank straps and front cross member. Mine requires yearly wire wheel and rust proofing to keep up with it.

Any other questions on the truck, let me know. 290k is nothing for these if maintained.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Any 2005 truck would have some surface rust on the frame. Super hard to tell from pics if it's more than that or not.

Once you are past 10 years and 200k, brand reputation matters a lot less than the history, records and conditions of the individual truck. Crawl around under a few of em and you'll see some big differences.

Do Toyota's of that age have hour meters? Tha6s something I like in the gm trucks, can help get a picture of the life its lived.
    Last edited by ExtraSlow; 03-01-2020 at 11:29 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Nissan x2

Quote Originally Posted by idriveabox View Post
    Most of the first gen tundra frames will need a good look. Hard to tell but looks like surface rust. Check the spare tire carrier (drop the tire), gas tank straps and front cross member. Mine requires yearly wire wheel and rust proofing to keep up with it.

Any other questions on the truck, let me know. 290k is nothing for these if maintained.
    This one is sitting at 256k, at Wilkie Ford in case you are wondering. I'm not too concerned about surface rust, i can take a wire brush to it and throw on some sealer. Carfax shows gas tank straps were done a few thousand ago. From all the walk around vids it looks pretty good.

It's almost 4 hours away so I'd like to know it's nothing serious.

My Ride
    A4/Tundra

See if they will take it to Toyota for frame inspection. Otherwise, looks good, limited model with sunroof is nice. Mine has 325k on it but runs great (after heavy maintenance work)

Weak points/typical maintenance:
    -rear axle seals, diff breather clogs up
    -LCA bushings and seized cam bolts
    -LBJ, recommend oem only
    -Timing belt, bearings and WP, every 100k
    Last edited by idriveabox; 03-01-2020 at 01:38 PM.