Quantcast
Patio cushions - waterproof cover vs deck box - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Patio cushions - waterproof cover vs deck box

Default Patio cushions - waterproof cover vs deck box

Recently bought a sectional for our deck and we're wondering what most people do for storing/protecting the cushions.

We bought a waterproof L shaped cover that covers the entire sectional and we were thinking of just keeping the cushions as-is on the furniture, cover it back up after use. Or, getting a deck box and storing the cushions after each use.

Is a deck box an overkill? If they are covered by the waterproof tarp it's essentially doing the same thing?

*we would bring them inside the house for the winter

My Ride
    TRD Pro

Deck box is way easier, and you can store them there in the winter. The often go on sale at Canadian Tire...I wouldnt leave the cushions out full time either...between the fading the the deterioration of the fabric its worth a few minutes to put them away.

outdoor fabrics are meant to be outdoors. Their meant to get wet and should be drying quickly.. why do you want to constantly be moving them all the time?

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Focus on getting high quality cushions and furniture and it’s nbd.

I got some cheap covers ( they get ruined by the sun anyways) and just leave my cushions on the outdoor furniture all year long.

You will never use the furniture if it’s a huge pia to set up and take down every time, like having to pull it out and shove it in a deck box.

Just my $0.02
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

A cover that is durable enough to last is probably as much of a hassle to move and store as the cushions would be. You'd end up with a deck box for that.

Baller move is to get genuine sunbrella fabric cushions.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    A cover that is durable enough to last is probably as much of a hassle to move and store as the cushions would be. You'd end up with a deck box for that.

I think that’s what we have, they are awesome. But it’s nice to have covers just for wetness. If it rains in the morning you can still use the furniture in the evening without wearing a bathing suit.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post

Was just gonna say.. All the fabrics are sunbrella. I think we'll likely try it out with no deck box and leave the cushions in place and just cover them up when not in use. Thanks for the input everyone.

My Ride
    Cayenne S, 335i Cab

We used to just use a cover but switched to a deck box last year and glad we did. It's so much easier than putting a huge cover on, keeps the cushions away from dust when not in use, stores them for the winter, and we can just grab a few cushions if it's just my wife and I out there. The box also doubles as additional sitting area or side table. I think we got ours only for ~ $160 from wayfair shipped. Very happy with the purchase.

Use 303's UV protectant products on the fabric and you shouldn't have any issues. We used it on our boat covers/vinyl, lawn swing covers, patio umbrella covers, etc. and they all looked like new even after years in the sun. If you don't want to have to maintain anything, then deck box, or ideally both.

What's worse IMO is wet/dirty cushions that everything sticks to, like leaves and other backyard debris. For that reason I would use a deck box anyway and just take them out when I wanted to use it.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

We use a deck box. As said, you can still use them immediately after a rainfall. I keep them in the deck box over winter too because then we can sit out there on a nice winter day as well, without having to dig them out from the basement.

if you have a good grade of fabric it should be drying quick(15min) after it rains and there is no need to cover unless your concerned about dirt. I'd be storing a good quality cushion in doors once winter hits just to make sure it lasts you 10 to 15 years.

Sunbrella name brand means nothing anymore as you can find sunbrella on sets at Walmart that wont last you one season. What matters is the grade of fabric and I can almost guarantee 99.9 % of people would never know this.

My Ride
    V167

good topic, was just thinking about this. We have a totally covered deck, protected from rain thankfully. The sun exposure part was my main concern.

Mitsu, is this the product you applied? http://www.foamdirect.ca/en/sprays-a...ric-guard.html

My Ride
    TRD Pro

A little support for the deckbox..
    I bought my patio set the same time that my parents did.. they spent significantly more than I did, and left the cushions out in the sun all summer, while mine were put away fairly regularly. Last summer they had to get all their Sunbrella upholstery redone, (holes, stains, bleached etc) while mine still looks perfect.
    Worth noting, getting new covers made ended up costing over 50% of what they paid for the full set!! I suppose having a full custom fit cover would do the same, but then you would also end up replacing the cover and having to find a place to store them in the winter.

Quote Originally Posted by nismodrifter View Post
    good topic, was just thinking about this. We have a totally covered deck, protected from rain thankfully. The sun exposure part was my main concern.

Mitsu, is this the product you applied? http://www.foamdirect.ca/en/sprays-a...ric-guard.html

No, but what you linked could be the same product given that it also shares the 303 branding and it also looks like 303 has changed their packaging/labels since I last bought some. I'm having trouble finding a link to exactly what I used. I assume it is this stuff though and it now has a "recommended by sunbrella" logo which I have never seen before:

https://www.costco.ca/303-Outdoor-Fa...100179876.html

303 in general is basically just a very high grade UV protectant with a silicone base, which is why it works so well for so many applications.

A semi-detached home from 89Coupe (hahahaha)
    My Ride
    A Gallardo from SDS (hahahaha)

Quote Originally Posted by R-Audi View Post
    A little support for the deckbox..
    I bought my patio set the same time that my parents did.. they spent significantly more than I did, and left the cushions out in the sun all summer, while mine were put away fairly regularly. Last summer they had to get all their Sunbrella upholstery redone, (holes, stains, bleached etc) while mine still looks perfect.
    Worth noting, getting new covers made ended up costing over 50% of what they paid for the full set!! I suppose having a full custom fit cover would do the same, but then you would also end up replacing the cover and having to find a place to store them in the winter.
    The cost for those covers sounds ridiculous!

We're currently shopping for new patio furniture and are leaning towards one set precisely because specific covers are available from the manufacturer... at the eye popping price of ~5-10% per piece... At 50%, I would definitely go for the deck box!

That said, our plan (or at least the way I see it going) would be to use the covers mostly when there's rain in the forecast or we'll be away for several days... I can't imagine putting on / removing covers can be anywhere near as cumbersome as piling all the cushions into a deck box (/boxes). Besides, the space saved by not having the storage box on the deck is better used for my outdoor bar!

For covers, AmazonBasics.
    We have a deck box for the pillows as they can blow around, but leave the seat cushions out.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    I think that’s what we have, they are awesome. But it’s nice to have covers just for wetness. If it rains in the morning you can still use the furniture in the evening without wearing a bathing suit.
    Quote Originally Posted by gwill View Post
    if you have a good grade of fabric it should be drying quick(15min) after it rains and there is no need to cover unless your concerned about dirt....
    Sunbrella name brand means nothing anymore as you can find sunbrella on sets at Walmart that wont last you one season. What matters is the grade of fabric and I can almost guarantee 99.9 % of people would never know this
    Whatever "grade" of sunbrella fabric my brother has at his cabin is amazing. Dries in 15 minutes like gwill says. Never put away all summer. Hasn't faded a bit in several years.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

My bigger concerns are with children, dogs, but mostly birds when not put away. For a few years we had a bad magpie problem in our back yard because of the raw food/bones we were feeding our previous dog. They'd sit on the backs of the chairs are just shit all over the cushions while antagonizing our pup away from his bone. Then they decided the cushions should be recycled and pecked at them bit by bit to use in their nests.

My Ride
    2013 C63 AMG , 2022 Acura RDX A Spec, 2005 BMW M3

i just ordered this for my patio stuff

also the extra $10 off
    https://www.rona.ca/en/marvel-outdoo...storeId=10151#
    2022 Acura RDX A Spec
    2013 C63 AMG Sedan
    2006 Nissan X-Trial
    2005 Bmw M3 vert
    2008 Ducati 848
    1977 Ford F150

My Ride
    Fiesta ST

Quote Originally Posted by Tik-Tok View Post
    My bigger concerns are with children, dogs, but mostly birds when not put away. For a few years we had a bad magpie problem in our back yard because of the raw food/bones we were feeding our previous dog. They'd sit on the backs of the chairs are just shit all over the cushions while antagonizing our pup away from his bone. Then they decided the cushions should be recycled and pecked at them bit by bit to use in their nests.
    You should have killed the magpies.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast