Quantcast
Riviera Maya in Mid September - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Riviera Maya in Mid September

My Ride
    (0^oo^0)~

Default Riviera Maya in Mid September

Hey all,

Wife and I are going to Mexico again in September. Went a couple years back and did ziplining, xelha, and a tulum pyramid tour.

Any other good excursions out there?

My Ride
    '15 Grand Cherokee Summit, '18 Golf R

Day trips I've done around there, in order of most enjoyable to least:
    Chichen Itza (self drive, get there right at opening, then visit various cenotes on the way back)
    Aktun Chen Cenote (self drive)
    Xel Ha (tour)
    Coba Ruins & Ek Balam (tour)
    Tulum (tour)
    Isla Mujeres (taxi & ferry)

Xplor is pretty good for a half-day. Ziplines, ATVs, Kayak though cave, etc. That may have been the ziplining you've already done.

Cozumel isn't far for world-class diving if you're certified.

Snorkel with Whale Sharks if it's in-season - I think that is more spring/summer though.

Note there is pretty much zero shade at Chichen Itza, so I wouldn't recommend going if it's particularly hot out. The various ruins are cool for 5 minutes and then you're just stuck in a giant tour group sweating your balls off for a few hours haha - each to their own though.

If you've done it all, I would put the excursion money into a better resort or a food-focused resort and just enjoy your time there.

My Ride
    (0^oo^0)~

We booked for 7 days at the Grand Bahia Principe Coba and it seemed to have pretty good reviews. It's still going to be within rainy season so hopefully it won't be too bad. It'll be hot as fuck and humid as fuck!

I haven't been ATV'ing in a while so that might be a good option. Probably keep our excursions short and sweet. I remember ATV'ing on the beaches in Cabo and it was a blast.

When we were in Thailand, we went on a kayaking tour and it was a shitty experience with my nerve damage and wife's lack of strength

Quote Originally Posted by rx7boi View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    We booked for 7 days at the Grand Bahia Principe Coba and it seemed to have pretty good reviews. It's still going to be within rainy season so hopefully it won't be too bad. It'll be hot as fuck and humid as fuck!

I haven't been ATV'ing in a while so that might be a good option. Probably keep our excursions short and sweet. I remember ATV'ing on the beaches in Cabo and it was a blast.

When we were in Thailand, we went on a kayaking tour and it was a shitty experience with my nerve damage and wife's lack of strength
    Just remember its about a 20-30 minute trek to the beach depending on when the golf cart comes so you will likely spend the whole day at the Tulum resort if you want to go to the beach.

The ATVs look like this and you're on a closed course/track but it's pretty fun with water to splash through and whatnot but nothing too crazy and they aren't "real" ATVs like you might have had on the beaches. They let you go around 2 or 3 times then you're cut off for the entire day.

My Ride
    (0^oo^0)~

Actually I think we did the Xplor + Xelha package together. I remember those ATV's, they were sad haha. Got a couple of pics snapped from hidden cameras for their photo packages.

Perhaps we'll try out some watersports like Wave Runners this time.

My Ride
    Pt Cruiser

If your into cock fighting I can get you in touch with some guys who put on an awesome event every Saturday outside of PDC.

Quote Originally Posted by lasimmon View Post
    Just remember its about a 20-30 minute trek to the beach depending on when the golf cart comes so you will likely spend the whole day at the Tulum resort if you want to go to the beach.
    Not from the Coba. Maybe like 5 min in the trolley depending what part of the resort you're in, and the trolley comes by every 5-10min. Maybe you're thinking of the Sian Ka'an which is the adults only across the highway?
    Last edited by Misterman; 05-21-2019 at 04:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Misterman View Post
    Not from the Coba. Maybe like 5 min in the trolley depending what part of the resort you're in, and the trolley comes by every 5-10min. Maybe you're thinking of the Sian Ka'an which is the adults only across the highway?
    From the time you walk out of your room till you arrive at the beach will easily be that. 5 min walk to trolley. Another 5 min walk to beach. 5-10 min wait for trolley. I've stayed at Coba once and Tulum a couple times.

Essentially what I was saying in case they didn't know was its a trek to the beach from Coba unlike a lot of resorts where you can sit at the pool and walk 20 meters to the beach.

My Ride
    Buffalo Truck & An Angry Kitty

Actually I think we did the Xplor + Xelha package together. I remember those ATV's, they were sad haha. Got a couple of pics snapped from hidden cameras for their photo packages.

Perhaps we'll try out some watersports like Wave Runners this time.
    I did 30 minutes on the Wave Runner this spring and let me tell you, it's nothing like rippin' doughnuts on a flat lake! I was pretty tired after about 10 minutes but once you're comfortable timing the waves you can catch some pretty crazy air.
    "Masked Bandit is a gateway drug for frugal spending." - Unknown303

My Ride
    (0^oo^0)~

Quote Originally Posted by BavarianBeast View Post
    If your into cock fighting I can get you in touch with some guys who put on an awesome event every Saturday outside of PDC.
    Thanks bro, will definitely keep that in mind!

Quote Originally Posted by Masked Bandit View Post
    I did 30 minutes on the Wave Runner this spring and let me tell you, it's nothing like rippin' doughnuts on a flat lake! I was pretty tired after about 10 minutes but once you're comfortable timing the waves you can catch some pretty crazy air.
    Awesome, I found an excursion that has both ATV and Wave Runners so we'll probably go with that one. I'll have to do a bit more digging because I really want to go ATV offroading on a beach instead of riding through a jungle behind some 45 year old lady driving like Miss Daisy.

My Ride
    (0^oo^0)~

So I just realized that whale shark tour season ends several days before we get there. Lots of tours end Sept 15-17 but we're getting there on Sept 18 which sucks.

Any recommendations on how I might find someone willing to take me out there?

So I just realized that whale shark tour season ends several days before we get there. Lots of tours end Sept 15-17 but we're getting there on Sept 18 which sucks.

Any recommendations on how I might find someone willing to take me out there?
    Talk to the locals on the beach. I dont think you will have a problem finding whale sharks if you're willing to pay for the private tour.