Quantcast
Looking for feedback on 2000 Lexus LS400 - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Thread: Looking for feedback on 2000 Lexus LS400

My Ride
    958.2 Cayenne Diesel

Quote Originally Posted by Clever View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Instead of starting a new thread, I thought i’d post this here, can someone help me diagnose a problem with the car? It wouldn’t start this afternoon it would not even turn over, we boosted the battery and let it run for awhile drove for about 5 blocks and it dies while I’m stopped at an intersection. Boosted it again moved to the side of the road and I let it run for about 30 minutes, as soon i I shifted to drive it home, car dies. At this point I’m thinking alternator is fried. We leave the car for a few hours to do some errands and also so I can sort out towing then I realized the other day I had plugged in one of those round adapters for charging my phone and left it. We go back to the car boosted it again, let it run and this time I unplugged adapter and the battery held the charge. I was able to drive home parked on my driveway and left it running for another 30 minutes, shut the car off, started it and it ran fine. I did this a couple more times in the last 1.5 hours and it was fine. About 20 minutes ago I tested it again and the car wouldn’t start but this time it was making the clicking noise, so now I’m thinking it might be the starter. I also noticed that some random lights are on like the belt buckle lights but the light that illuminate by the shifter is dead. Could it be electrical?

My son and I fixed most of the issues this car had when we got it, I’m hoping someone can point us to right direction so we can try to fix it. Other than this power/ starting issue, and the rust that I had mentioned on my earlier posts, car runs great.
    The clicking sound and no start is likely the starter. This was the only unexpected repair with my SC, and is relatively common with this motor. Unfortunately a bit expensive to fix as it sits in the valley of the motor.

Not sure on the electrical bit.
    Originally posted by arian_ma
    your stomach is full of sulfuric acid

My Ride
    2021 Zonda CRV

Quote Originally Posted by Clever View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Instead of starting a new thread, I thought i’d post this here, can someone help me diagnose a problem with the car? It wouldn’t start this afternoon it would not even turn over, we boosted the battery and let it run for awhile drove for about 5 blocks and it dies while I’m stopped at an intersection. Boosted it again moved to the side of the road and I let it run for about 30 minutes, as soon i I shifted to drive it home, car dies. At this point I’m thinking alternator is fried. We leave the car for a few hours to do some errands and also so I can sort out towing then I realized the other day I had plugged in one of those round adapters for charging my phone and left it. We go back to the car boosted it again, let it run and this time I unplugged adapter and the battery held the charge. I was able to drive home parked on my driveway and left it running for another 30 minutes, shut the car off, started it and it ran fine. I did this a couple more times in the last 1.5 hours and it was fine. About 20 minutes ago I tested it again and the car wouldn’t start but this time it was making the clicking noise, so now I’m thinking it might be the starter. I also noticed that some random lights are on like the belt buckle lights but the light that illuminate by the shifter is dead. Could it be electrical?

My son and I fixed most of the issues this car had when we got it, I’m hoping someone can point us to right direction so we can try to fix it. Other than this power/ starting issue, and the rust that I had mentioned on my earlier posts, car runs great.
    Before you replace the battery.
    Double check the condition of the connectors TO the battery. I had a similar issue. It was not the battery, just the connectors had partially disintegrated as the vehicle was so old. Then go from that.

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

Yup. Agree on checking actual terminal connections.

Also, it is always handy to have a battery charger/tender. Cheaper than buying a new battery if you maintain it well and it will give you indication on how well it holds a charge to see if you need a new battery or not.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

I had a 2001 Ford F250 that had similar issues - even after a brand new battery. Turns out the connectors to the battery were corroded internally and preventing proper post contact - a quick metal brush and some dielectric grease and it fired right up.

Thanks for all the replies, I’ll have a look after work.

My Ride
    958.2 Cayenne Diesel

Bumping up an old thread... but I have a neighbor who might be looking to sell his 98 or 99, LS400, original owner, black on black, nakamichi stereo etc, and of course... well maintained, always garage kept. Shoot me a PM if you are interested.
    Originally posted by arian_ma
    your stomach is full of sulfuric acid

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3