Quantcast
Looking for feedback on 2000 Lexus LS400 - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Looking for feedback on 2000 Lexus LS400

@ercchry

Good to know, I had an old 5 series that had the notorious “death wobble” due to the control arms/ bushings. The brakes and rotors are getting done ASAP, I’m just looking into viable upgrades. I got to drive it more this morning and it drives really well, I think the car was just neglected, but with some love, I’m thinking I’ll be keeping until it dies.

Edit:
    Also, does anyone know where I can find a hood support lift/shock locally, tried NAPA and they are back ordered.
    Last edited by Clever; 05-25-2019 at 04:08 PM.

Did you check out princess auto? I got replacement hood shocks there a while back. Even got a set for my box canopy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Disoblige View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Arash reminds me of Mar but I can't tell which one is more stupid.
    Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE View Post
    Yeah well I wonder how they get the soft flowing caramel inside the Caramilk bar but you don't see me making a god damn thread about it. Slap your wife Baygirl, straighten him out.

My Ride
    V8s

rock auto

Yeah Rock Auto it is for the hood supports, all the shops I’ve been to in the city are either out of stock or stopped carrying them. So today my son asked his shop teacher if they can do some work on the car for class, so they are doing an inspection later this week and replacing the brakes next week and whatever else they can fix on it. I will definitely look over the work they do on it, but if it saves me time from doing it well, why not?

Found an empty parking lot:
    Attachment 86168
    Attachment 86166
    Attachment 86165

My Ride
    958.2 Cayenne Diesel

Looks great, that emerald green is stunning on that car!

I saw two of these 1st gens on deerfoot into work today... I felt really jealous of the owners who looked like they were floating on a cloud. Wasn't there an ad that said that most people have a lower heart rate when they are in a Lexus LS vs a Mercedes/BMW? lol
    Originally posted by arian_ma
    your stomach is full of sulfuric acid

Simply put, beautiful. Drive that for a couple years then look for the 01 to 06 LS430.
    Quote Originally Posted by Disoblige View Post
    Arash reminds me of Mar but I can't tell which one is more stupid.
    Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE View Post
    Yeah well I wonder how they get the soft flowing caramel inside the Caramilk bar but you don't see me making a god damn thread about it. Slap your wife Baygirl, straighten him out.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil4Speed View Post
    Looks great, that emerald green is stunning on that car!
    Quote Originally Posted by BokCh0y View Post
    Simply put, beautiful. Drive that for a couple years then look for the 01 to 06 LS430.
    Thanks guys, got it up on a lift this afternoon and no leaks underneath, just a bit rusty. Also the wobble I mentioned is from the upper ball joint so that’s getting replaced with the brakes. I also called a few body shops for quotes for the rust repair as well, that’s something that I’m leaving to the pros, last time I tried using bondo was 20 years ago and failed at that back then.

My Ride
    AWD grandpa wagon

Quote Originally Posted by Clever View Post
    Thanks guys, got it up on a lift this afternoon and no leaks underneath, just a bit rusty. Also the wobble I mentioned is from the upper ball joint so that’s getting replaced with the brakes. I also called a few body shops for quotes for the rust repair as well, that’s something that I’m leaving to the pros, last time I tried using bondo was 20 years ago and failed at that back then.
    Can you please share or PM me when you find a shop willing to tackle the rust repair?

Quote Originally Posted by HiSpec View Post
    Can you please share or PM me when you find a shop willing to tackle the rust repair?
    Waiting to hear back from Screamin and MP Auto, I also contacted someone off Kijiji who was recommended by somebody I work with and I was quoted at a thousand to get both sides fixed, cutting, welding and bondo to finish plus re-paint, but I’m a bit skeptical on that since it is off Kijiji and not an actual shop.

Nice buy Clever. One of my favorite vehicles I've had back in the early/mid 90s was my Lexus LS400.

As an aside, these cars are tough as hell too, sort of like the 80s Volvos in a crash. I was driving from Calgary to Van in 1996 on the first weekend of Sept back then, freak snow storm hit, black ice came out of literally nowhere, it was sunny and perfect out one minute, and literally blowing crazy snow the next. Guy I was driving with (it was his LS400 not mine) said "dude, this has summer tires on it and they are HORRIBLE on ice", just as I come up on a semi jackknifed and a car literally going backwards in the lane beside it. I somehow threaded the needle through them, but ended up going backwards at 80kmh myself. I got it turned around, only to swap ends again (black ice), at least 3 or 4 more times. Realizing it was a losing proposition and I was coming up on more stopped/stuck cars on the road, I pointed the thing as best I could at the ditch which looked the shallowest. Went in nose first, about 65 or 70 degrees straight down at about 30 kmh, maybe more, I wasn't watching the speed, but we hit hard, and had to "hang" to drop down and get out. After we got towed out later, we fixed the damage just enough to be able to drive on the front end with some duct tape, and drove on to Vancouver, and then home to Calgary a few days later, and the car pointed straight as an arrow still. $15k damage total IIRC, but the frame/etc was still straight and fine, it was pretty much all cosmetic.

Again, very very tough car. When an LS400 for a great deal came up, I jumped on it, partially based on that trip - great highway cruiser, and very, very tough IMO.
    Last edited by Gman.45; 05-31-2019 at 12:33 AM.

My Ride
    V8s

Waiting to hear back from Screamin and MP Auto, I also contacted someone off Kijiji who was recommended by somebody I work with and I was quoted at a thousand to get both sides fixed, cutting, welding and bondo to finish plus re-paint, but I’m a bit skeptical on that since it is off Kijiji and not an actual shop.
    Highly recommend Screamin. They did a great job on rust repair on a G35 I had a few years back, for a very reasonable price.

My Ride
    958.2 Cayenne Diesel

Quote Originally Posted by Gman.45 View Post
    Nice buy Clever. One of my favorite vehicles I've had back in the early/mid 90s was my Lexus LS400.

As an aside, these cars are tough as hell too,...
    Wow, that sounds pretty intense for sure. These definitely need quality winter tires for our Winters however, I will say that the traction control system was far beyond its years. I remember driving at about 80 km/h on Ghost lake in the SC and you would hit a patch of snow which would push the car to the side for a moment going into a full out hard skid - but the TCS would pump the breaks so well that it would straighten out after a second or two. Much better than the other TCS systems of the time which would just restrict engine power.
    Originally posted by arian_ma
    your stomach is full of sulfuric acid

Quote Originally Posted by cjblair View Post
    Highly recommend Screamin. They did a great job on rust repair on a G35 I had a few years back, for a very reasonable price.
    So MP just came back and said they cannot do the repair, I'm still waiting to hear back from Screamin as they come highly recommended.

My Ride
    AWD grandpa wagon

So MP just came back and said they cannot do the repair, I'm still waiting to hear back from Screamin as they come highly recommended.
    Thanks!

So I heard back from Screamin and they will do the rust repair, I’m planning to stop by so they can see the rust in person and get a better idea of the amount of work that will be involved. I also spoke to a shop called Artisan auto, but they prefer to see the car before providing a quote.

On a side note, does anyone know how much Lexus charges to get keys cut and programmed? I called them today but their parts guy never called me back.

My Ride
    *The First*

Quote Originally Posted by BokCh0y View Post
    Did you check out princess auto? I got replacement hood shocks there a while back. Even got a set for my box canopy.
    Is this from measuring the ram and total length and knowing the spring rate? Or, can you go to a parts counter and give someone your make/model/year of vehicle?

Quote Originally Posted by ThePenIsMightier View Post
    Is this from measuring the ram and total length and knowing the spring rate? Or, can you go to a parts counter and give someone your make/model/year of vehicle?
    I took mine off, but if you measure the length of the hood support then you’ll know what size. I don’t think they can look it up via their “system”. They have a generic brand for $13, it came in 17’, 19’, 23’ (out of stock), 27’ last time I was at the south location.

Edit: They also carry the Stabilus brand for $29. Here is a pic give to you an idea:
    Attachment 86255
    Last edited by Clever; 06-05-2019 at 07:50 AM.

Instead of starting a new thread, I thought i’d post this here, can someone help me diagnose a problem with the car? It wouldn’t start this afternoon it would not even turn over, we boosted the battery and let it run for awhile drove for about 5 blocks and it dies while I’m stopped at an intersection. Boosted it again moved to the side of the road and I let it run for about 30 minutes, as soon i I shifted to drive it home, car dies. At this point I’m thinking alternator is fried. We leave the car for a few hours to do some errands and also so I can sort out towing then I realized the other day I had plugged in one of those round adapters for charging my phone and left it. We go back to the car boosted it again, let it run and this time I unplugged adapter and the battery held the charge. I was able to drive home parked on my driveway and left it running for another 30 minutes, shut the car off, started it and it ran fine. I did this a couple more times in the last 1.5 hours and it was fine. About 20 minutes ago I tested it again and the car wouldn’t start but this time it was making the clicking noise, so now I’m thinking it might be the starter. I also noticed that some random lights are on like the belt buckle lights but the light that illuminate by the shifter is dead. Could it be electrical?

My son and I fixed most of the issues this car had when we got it, I’m hoping someone can point us to right direction so we can try to fix it. Other than this power/ starting issue, and the rust that I had mentioned on my earlier posts, car runs great.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

I’d load test the battery to start.... then check the driver’s side fender... the main harness runs right above the wheel liner. Could be drooping and in turn rubbing on the tire which would cause weird electrical gremlins. But I wouldn’t read too much into the lights. Toyotas do throw up random unrelated lights when they have issues

My Ride
    *The First*

Quote Originally Posted by ercchry View Post
    I’d load test the battery to start.... then check the driver’s side fender... the main harness runs right above the wheel liner. Could be drooping and in turn rubbing on the tire which would cause weird electrical gremlins. But I wouldn’t read too much into the lights. Toyotas do throw up random unrelated lights when they have issues
    For the $100 of a new battery, I just started replacing those at Step-1 whenever electrical shit starts to crop up and OmG, it's made my life better. It's >75% the battery and even if you're wrong, it's not a big waste to get a new one with how hard our climate is on batteries.
    Please start there and eliminate the biggest variable in the while mix.
    Costco Kirkland batteries are excellent and CHEAP.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast