Quantcast
Looking for feedback on 2000 Lexus LS400 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking for feedback on 2000 Lexus LS400

Default Looking for feedback on 2000 Lexus LS400

I was looking at buying a car to drive around town in and eventually it will be something that my 16 year old will get to drive. I came across a 2000 LS400, body is in decent shape, typical rust by the rear wheel well, but engine and the transmission felt strong, currently has close to 190k kms. I have owned Toyota’s before but not a Lexus, I’ve heard all about the bulletproof 1UZ’s in this thing but otherwise, zero experience or feedback on them. Would like to know if anyone has driven one before, thoughts on the car?
    Last edited by Clever; 05-23-2019 at 07:07 PM.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

I believe the airbag rear suspension needed replacing (on average) after 15 years or 300,000 kms - or something to that effect if equipped.

I was looking at these vehicles for myself - very good value. There should be no major issues with these cars - except owner-related (eg. neglect).

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Yup, facelift ucf20 is just great. What options? Only real concern would be if it’s still on factory air... but so many cheap coil overs available it’s not a huge deal.

Great cars. Besides the telescoping steering wheel failing, not a whole lot besides basic maintenance to do. The uz3 has a few more hiccups with the variable timing. But not an issue with the 20. Nothing else in that segment is nearly close to being a good buy for that vintage... maybe a Q45... which does have a touch more power and a LSD... but i’d still take the Lexus over it

We didn’t really talk much about options, but I did notice that telescopic steering wheel. I’ll probalbly make an offer. The car was washed today, but it definitely needs a thorough cleaning.

Pics from the owner:

Attachment 86127

Attachment 86128

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Doesn’t look like it has enough buttons for an “ultra lux” ...so probably on springs, so not a whole lot to worry about. Can’t remember if those still have a chain or a belt for timing. If belt, it’s close to being due for service, which usually means you replace the water pump at the same time which is about a $1500 service, but then good to go for over another 100k kms

My Ride
    changes every year

I have the 2001 LS430 and have heard nothing but good things about the 400. I opted for the 430 for more options and I like the styling better.

Absolutely hands down the quietest and comfiest car I've ever driven. I daily drive it about 150km a day and it's at almost 290k and still runs like new.

They should have a t belt, mine has a t belt, so I assume that should too. Listen to @ercchry he is the one that made me buy mine lol

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

That leather after 20 years looks better than some American cars after 2.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Fun fact: all Lexus leather is coated with (pvc?) plastic... except the ultra lux LS cars, which is real, full blown leather

My Ride
    Turbo stuff

They are stupidly ridiculously reliable, and also nice to drive albeit a bit of a snooze. Also they sound great with an exhaust. 190k is just barely broken in, I see them regularly with 400k.

It's a v8 lazyboy recliner.

My Ride
    Turbo stuff

I put nitrous on my buddy's LS400 a few years back. It was quick! With 100 shot it went 13.7@102mph

My Ride
    958.2 Cayenne Diesel

Love that it is the last year of that body type. I had an SC400 for some time with that motor and it was great. Very reliable vehicle overall as expected. The engine was super refined and made the perfect sound on acceleration. Fuel mileage isn't great as you would expect - also, Premium fuel which sucks. Great color combo on the one you are looking at. A good wash, polish and wax will make it look great, as would a good interior clean.

One thing that did cause an issue was the starter. Its mounted in the valley of the motor so required a huge amount of labor to replace. They do go bad, so something to prepare yourself for... Nothing tragic but not fun.

The traction control is quite good and manages the car well in the Winter with good tires. If you have the nakamichi stereo, it sounds really fantastic.
    Originally posted by arian_ma
    your stomach is full of sulfuric acid

Thanks for the input everyone! Going to pick it up later today.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil4Speed View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Love that it is the last year of that body type. I had an SC400 for some time with that motor and it was great. Very reliable vehicle overall as expected. The engine was super refined and made the perfect sound on acceleration. Fuel mileage isn't great as you would expect - also, Premium fuel which sucks. Great color combo on the one you are looking at. A good wash, polish and wax will make it look great, as would a good interior clean.

One thing that did cause an issue was the starter. Its mounted in the valley of the motor so required a huge amount of labor to replace. They do go bad, so something to prepare yourself for... Nothing tragic but not fun.

The traction control is quite good and manages the car well in the Winter with good tires. If you have the nakamichi stereo, it sounds really fantastic.
    The car looked good when I test drove it yesterday, just need the interior cleaned out. The rust on the rear quarter section is pretty bad unfortunately, eventually getting that fixed but for now, it will be the timing belt, the water pump and the front brakes I will be sorting out first.

Quote Originally Posted by ercchry View Post
    Fun fact: all Lexus leather is coated with (pvc?) plastic... except the ultra lux LS cars, which is real, full blown leather
    I thought all ultra premium 2's are all real leather. I know my gen 3 rx with ultra prem 2 is real leather, and my old 08 IS350 which had ultra prem 1 (prem 1 is sometimes the highest) was real leather too. My new 18 IS350, Lex abandoned the whole real leather thing to be sustainable and shit.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sentry View Post
    I put nitrous on my buddy's LS400 a few years back. It was quick! With 100 shot it went 13.7@102mph

Freight train!!!! Adios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Disoblige View Post
    Arash reminds me of Mar but I can't tell which one is more stupid.
    Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE View Post
    Yeah well I wonder how they get the soft flowing caramel inside the Caramilk bar but you don't see me making a god damn thread about it. Slap your wife Baygirl, straighten him out.

My Ride
    *The First*

I was looking for one of these years ago and all I could find was the Toyota RHD thing. Smelled like an ashtray and was on bags.
    Ended up with a 560 SEL so it was great but SO many of the features didn't work. She was a thirsty couch, too!

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by BokCh0y View Post
    I thought all ultra premium 2's are all real leather. I know my gen 3 rx with ultra prem 2 is real leather, and my old 08 IS350 which had ultra prem 1 (prem 1 is sometimes the highest) was real leather too. My new 18 IS350, Lex abandoned the whole real leather thing to be sustainable and shit.

- - - Updated - - -
    Another fun fact: all of my Lexus knowledge ends in about 2004

But it would make sense that all the ultra lux packages get you the good leather... my LS430 was just so nice to sit in, suede headliner too

My Ride
    Turbo stuff

Quote Originally Posted by ThePenIsMightier View Post
    I was looking for one of these years ago and all I could find was the Toyota RHD thing. Smelled like an ashtray and was on bags.
    Ended up with a 560 SEL so it was great but SO many of the features didn't work. She was a thirsty couch, too!
    Celsiors smelling like JDM cigarettes is a selling point IMO

Picked it up yesterday late in the afternoon and spent most of the night cleaning it, it was filthy. Found an untouched OEM first aid kit under the driver seat, that was pretty cool. But so far I’m loving this thing. A bit of a wobble when going over 100kms I’m thinking control arms might need replacing.

Attachment 86139

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sentry View Post
    Celsiors smelling like JDM cigarettes is a selling point IMO
    Mine did not have a smoke smell but the inside of the windows were caked with a clear sticky residue, not sure what it is.

Beautiful and congrats. More pics please!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Disoblige View Post
    Arash reminds me of Mar but I can't tell which one is more stupid.
    Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE View Post
    Yeah well I wonder how they get the soft flowing caramel inside the Caramilk bar but you don't see me making a god damn thread about it. Slap your wife Baygirl, straighten him out.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Probably not control arms... these things are ultra sensitive to being hub centric... start with that, then check brake rotors

Quote Originally Posted by BokCh0y View Post
    Beautiful and congrats. More pics please!!!

Will do once it stops raining, paint needs work and back end by the wheel wells have bad rust spots, so pics will be front end mostly

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast