Quantcast
Are e-scooters going to replace bikes? - Page 11 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Are e-scooters going to replace bikes?

My Ride
    rally pig

LOL

Not even that bad. This was pretty common in Lebanon when I visited last year:

Name:  76F97144-211B-48E2-9A63-35708ECFC4BF.jpg
Views: 402
Size:  46.4 KB

My Ride
    The SHBARUS

Quote Originally Posted by taemo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    LOL
    You don't grab someone's boobs from behind like that.

My Ride
    2018 Civic Si coupe

Quote Originally Posted by taemo View Post
    LOL
    Crazy pic
    I didn't notice there was a 3rd person at first, that's bonkers haha.

My Ride
    4x4

Haha, looks like a lot of the videos of Asia I've seen - family of 4-5 on those ebike-scooters.

My Ride
    Edge

Here is an interesting article on the not-so-green e-scooters:

"The paper found that scooters do produce about half the emissions of a standard automobile, at around 200 grams of carbon dioxide per mile compared with nearly 415. But, crucially, the researchers found in a survey of e-scooter riders in Raleigh, North Carolina, that only 34% would have otherwise used a personal car or ride-sharing service. Nearly half would have biked or walked, 11% would have taken the bus, and 7% would have simply skipped the trip.

The bottom line: roughly two-thirds of the time, scooter rides generate more greenhouse-gas emissions than the alternative. And those increased emissions were greater than the gains from the car rides not taken, says Jeremiah Johnson, an engineering professor and one of the authors of the paper.

The electricity used to charge the vehicles is one of the smallest contributors to the product’s emissions. Fully half come from the raw materials and manufacturing process, which the researchers estimated, in part, by disassembling a Chinese-made Xiaomi M365 scooter, a model that Lime and Bird are known to use."

https://www.technologyreview.com/s/6...=pocket-newtab

Quote Originally Posted by duaner View Post

"The paper found that scooters do produce about half the emissions of a standard automobile, at around 200 grams of carbon dioxide per mile compared with nearly 415. But, crucially, the researchers found in a survey of e-scooter riders in Raleigh, North Carolina, that only 34% would have otherwise used a personal car or ride-sharing service. Nearly half would have biked or walked, 11% would have taken the bus, and 7% would have simply skipped the trip.

The bottom line: roughly two-thirds of the time, scooter rides generate more greenhouse-gas emissions than the alternative. And those increased emissions were greater than the gains from the car rides not taken, says Jeremiah Johnson, an engineering professor and one of the authors of the paper.

The electricity used to charge the vehicles is one of the smallest contributors to the product’s emissions. Fully half come from the raw materials and manufacturing process, which the researchers estimated, in part, by disassembling a Chinese-made Xiaomi M365 scooter, a model that Lime and Bird are known to use."

For the most part, anything that is completely electric in Alberta isn't doing any favors for the climate anyway until we stop getting most of our electricity from coal.

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

Quote Originally Posted by AndyL View Post
    Haha, looks like a lot of the videos of Asia I've seen - family of 4-5 on those ebike-scooters.
    Name:  pakistan.jpg
Views: 374
Size:  30.0 KB

Thaco is offline sucks off little boys (ya, don't fuck with rage2 bitch!!!)
    My Ride
    Rage2

yeah but technically that increased efficiencies in your transportation could translate in to other benefits like more time to do other things. they could use that saved time to clean up litter along the river (hahah right?) then it'd be better for the environment.
    User title molested by Rage2.

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    It's not the size that matters, it's the taste it leaves in your mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

Quote Originally Posted by Misterman View Post
    No logic, thought, input, etc from cult member...

My Ride
    4x4

Quote Originally Posted by jwslam View Post
    Name:  pakistan.jpg
Views: 374
Size:  30.0 KB
    Name:  Family-on-a-scooter-in-vietnam.jpg
Views: 366
Size:  177.9 KB

Yeah, but if you go by that logic then spending 100 million kilograms of fuel to put a man on the moon was a really bad idea.
    0.5 gram microsd delivered by 12,000 pound combustion vehicle and driver.

Quote Originally Posted by ZenOps View Post
    Yeah, but if you go by that logic then spending 100 million kilograms of fuel to put a man on the moon was a really bad idea.
    But aren't you in the camp that says the whole man on the moon thing is a farce?
    Will fuck off, again.

My Ride
    4x4

Does the number even include all the fuel these juicers and the lime/bird local fleet use to maintain and charge these?

Just curious

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

This doesn't make sense to me. They're claiming that using the scooter creates more emissions than say a bicycle. But later they said the electricity used was actually one of the smallest contributors to the product's emissions and most of it comes from the raw materials and manufacturing to make the scooter. The same could be said for a bicycle though, those still take resources and emissions to produce the bike and to maintain.

In fact I'd wager the lime bikes see way more mileage than most peoples bicycles because they are constantly used. So when you spread out the environmental impact of building a scooter over the amount its used vs the typical bicycle that is only occasionally used, I'd presume the numbers are way closer.

Quote Originally Posted by speedog View Post
    But aren't you in the camp that says the whole man on the moon thing is a farce?
    I'm willing to entertain the idea it was simply a really bad waste of money that really only destroyed long term space exploration ambition, if it did happen - which I'm not saying it did.
    Last edited by ZenOps; 08-15-2019 at 09:50 PM.

Thaco is offline sucks off little boys (ya, don't fuck with rage2 bitch!!!)
    My Ride
    Rage2

Quote Originally Posted by AndyL View Post
    Does the number even include all the fuel these juicers and the lime/bird local fleet use to maintain and charge these?

Just curious
    i saw some guy riding one today that had 2 more stacked on the deck and he was standing on all 3, i assume a relocator/juicer using the scooter to work, it was actually pretty impressive that he didnt wipe out
    User title molested by Rage2.

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    It's not the size that matters, it's the taste it leaves in your mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

Quote Originally Posted by Misterman View Post
    No logic, thought, input, etc from cult member...

BTW: I have no idea where they get the idea that a 40 pound electric scooter is somehow more carbon emitting than a two ton car. Sure, it takes slightly more energy to refine aluminum than iron, but its not *that* much more per pound. Besides the fact that raw iron does have a much higher melting point than aluminum when you make it into a carframe. Arguably, aluminum is much more valuable in a recycled state. Lithium does take more energy than say a lead acid car battery to initially produce, but literally its five pounds. You would probably be carbon equal on the first two tanks of gas you have to burn in a car to get the same distance.
    Last edited by ZenOps; 08-17-2019 at 05:03 AM.

My Ride
    Fiesta ST

Quote Originally Posted by ZenOps View Post
    BTW: I have no idea where they get the idea that a 40 pound electric scooter is somehow more carbon emitting than a two ton car. Sure, it takes slightly more energy to refine aluminum than iron, but its not *that* much more per pound. Besides the fact that raw iron does have a much higher melting point than aluminum when you make it into a carframe. Arguably, aluminum is much more valuable in a recycled state. Lithium does take more energy than say a lead acid car battery to initially produce, but literally its five pounds. You would probably be carbon equal on the first two tanks of gas you have to burn in a car to get the same distance.

I’m sure it’s the fact that a car can do 200,000km+ over its life, which dilutes the initial manufacturing carbon emissions.

Almost half of the e-scooters emissions are attributed to the 'additional' vehicles being used to pick them up each night and re-distribute them, which isn't standard practice but what Raleigh does.

The other major share of emissions, 43%, comes from the additional fleet of vehicles needed to navigate around a city like Raleigh each day, collecting scooters strewn across yards and sidewalks, taking them to a central charging location, and returning them to spots where riders can find them.

Quote Originally Posted by blitz View Post
    I’m sure it’s the fact that a car can do 200,000km+ over its life, which dilutes the initial manufacturing carbon emissions.
    https://e360.yale.edu/digest/renewab...city-last-week

Sure, but how long does a scooter last? The electric motor inside a electric car can last 50+ years (noone knows for sure) The rough estimate is that you will have to replace a combustion car 7x for every one electric car (not including battery)

You do have to burn carbon to keep that car engine running, and there are plenty of places around the world that have greater than 50% electrical generation from hydro power. ICE engines convert 21% of power to movement, the rest to heat. It takes a proportionate 50x more energy to move 50x more mass (car to scooter). Literally the car should be using at least 5,000% more carbon to move a single human the same distance, assuming the scooter is fueled by coal electrical generation.

Everything compared to walking burns more fuel (as a vehicle) - that's not really an argument.

I don't know what certifications the professor has, but the numbers he are spewing are literally "man on moon" type numbers - Ridiculous.

https://www.thedrive.com/news/29317/...have-a-gas-car The man who pretty much owns the largest variance of combustion engine cars - weighs in.
    Last edited by ZenOps; 08-17-2019 at 11:04 AM.

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 ... LastLast