Quantcast
Weeds and Voles in the lawn - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Weeds and Voles in the lawn

Default Weeds and Voles in the lawn

Anybody have any suggestions in how to get rid of those Yellow flowered weeds ? Tried some of the weed kill from Home depot, Didn't help.

Sprayed weed kill on the weeds still no luck. Any suggestions on the Brands/ weed Kill that may possibly Help.

Also seeing some holes on the lawn, Possibly Volves, Any tips on how to get rid of them ? Thanks

My Ride
    '14 Taco

Voles - mouse traps. I've been putting a hurt on the ones in our lawn in the last few weeks, and havent had a new hole since

Quote Originally Posted by Brent.ff View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Voles - mouse traps. I've been putting a hurt on the ones in our lawn in the last few weeks, and havent had a new hole since
    This.

A Vole is a glorified mouse, and they love peanut butter.

My Ride
    13 AUDI A4, 14 TUNDRA SR5, 12 VW GOLF TDI

I used to spray PAR3 on my property now that I have kids playing on the grass all the time, I just go out and pull them out one by one using weed puller.

My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX

Quote Originally Posted by apkking View Post
    Anybody have any suggestions in how to get rid of those Yellow flowered weeds ? Tried some of the weed kill from Home depot, Didn't help.

Sprayed weed kill on the weeds still no luck. Any suggestions on the Brands/ weed Kill that may possibly Help.

Also seeing some holes on the lawn, Possibly Volves, Any tips on how to get rid of them ? Thanks
    They are dandelions, use killex from Rona - get the version that attaches to your hose, do this on a day it doesnt rain before or after use. Reapply in a couple of months.

Quote Originally Posted by vengie View Post
    This.

A Vole is a glorified mouse, and they love peanut butter.
    Apples work good as well. I was catching 4-6 per day for a week straight with just with apples. Many times there would be 2 in one trap.

My Ride
    V8s

What kind of traps did you guys use for the voles? I can't use classic traps because I have two dogs that are often in the backyard, and I'll definitely be pulling the traps off their tongues if I use regular ones haha.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by cjblair View Post
    What kind of traps did you guys use for the voles? I can't use classic traps because I have two dogs that are often in the backyard, and I'll definitely be pulling the traps off their tongues if I use regular ones haha.
    Put normal ones under some kind of cover?

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    Put normal ones under some kind of cover?
    or put a metal fence around it. About 1' diameter would do with a wood spike to keep it secured.

Quote Originally Posted by cjblair View Post
    I had great success with this trap https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/c...3615p.html#srp and using the glue boards https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/c...0889p.html#srp

In my backyard, I could not find the entry points where the voles were. I see the trail where they munch the grass and I would place the traps beside the plant bed where the tracks begin. I have 2 traps that I rotate around. I've been using them since 2016, 1st year got 20 voles, 2nd year around 10, last year 3. This year so far seen no tracks (usually see couple after winter's thaw) so haven't deployed traps yet. Another step I took was spaced out the plants and shrubs I had in my yard as previous owner kept things really tight so now more open space and less hiding spots for the voles, bonus is plants grow better with spacing.

My Ride
    fairlady tt

With those damn dandelions use a shop vac to suck them up, the worst thing to do is try and kill them with a mower especially if you leave the cuttings on top of you lawn.

My Ride
    V8s

Quote Originally Posted by Ariakas View Post
    I had great success with this trap https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/c...3615p.html#srp and using the glue boards https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/c...0889p.html#srp

In my backyard, I could not find the entry points where the voles were. I see the trail where they munch the grass and I would place the traps beside the plant bed where the tracks begin. I have 2 traps that I rotate around. I've been using them since 2016, 1st year got 20 voles, 2nd year around 10, last year 3. This year so far seen no tracks (usually see couple after winter's thaw) so haven't deployed traps yet. Another step I took was spaced out the plants and shrubs I had in my yard as previous owner kept things really tight so now more open space and less hiding spots for the voles, bonus is plants grow better with spacing.

So update, vole season has started. Saw a track over the weekend and deployed my trap. I used a different bait this time, bought those cheapies at Buck or Two for 2 bux (get 4 traps). Wasn't expecting much but wanted to try something cheaper than buying the original sticky bait from Crappy Tire. Got 3 voles in 2 days so happy with result.

Name:  voles.jpg
Views: 227
Size:  50.1 KBName:  trap.jpg
Views: 235
Size:  51.6 KB.

I have a dozen or so of the old version of these and they work wonderfully as they are reusable (and safer to deploy). A dab of peanut butter is all that you need. I swear the first traps I bought caught a dozen voles/mice since purchasing them. If only I was vigilant enough to mark the traps with paint every time they killed one of these bastards.

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/c...7965p.html#srp

EDIT - these are the exact ones https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/wilson-...SABEgIoXvD_BwE

This was another solution I had in mind as well.

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/t...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

In my case (as would be yours), the presence of voles was symptomatic of a much bigger issue. Of course if you have longer grass and weeds then there will be more activity and the solution is to mow your grass more often... but we determined they wanted shelter underneath our concrete because the slab poured was quite thin and you could dig underneath easily.

After we did our trapping to control the population last year in the fall, we trenched out the grass/dirt under the concrete by the front staircase, about 8 inches or do, put some metal screening wire and slathered on some quikrete concrete to create a wall and extend the depth of how deep they'd have to dig to get under there. So far it has worked (knock on wood) and they haven't dug any holes in our yard over the winter or spring. It was quite an effort, but we felt it was worth it. Funny thing is, they went to our neighbors and dug under there.
    Last edited by Smokem; 06-20-2019 at 11:55 AM.

My Ride
    '73 Buick, '03 Ruckus, '18 Tundra

That Giant Destroyer stuff worked for me and the voles i had underneath my concrete walk way/steps. It's nasty shit though, don't have the kids and pets around once it's lit. Make sure the area you are "smoking" is well sealed otherwise it just all pours out and doesn't do anything.

I would catch a vole every two days then i gassed two days in a row under my stairs. Not one vole since.