Quantcast
Mistake to buy a gas powered vehicle these days? - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Mistake to buy a gas powered vehicle these days?

My Ride
    V8s

Quote Originally Posted by spikerS View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

[COLOR="silver"]- - - Updated - - -[/COL
    maybe, but I am sure they were working on it before the investment into Rivian, and they already have test mules out in the wild...again, I don't think it would be all that crazy. Like I said, late 2020 is probably really ambitious, but I would be surprised if it wasn't released in 2021 as a MY 2022.
    Doesn't matter what they do with the truck, there probably won't be battery technology good enough for long distance towing, and there won't be charging tech/infrastructure built to make up for the frequent charging required. We're at least a few years from a usable (for actual truck things, not just driving to your office downtown) electric truck, imo.

My Ride
    N/A V8, TTV6, DOHC N/A V6

The EV F-150 isn’t a great idea yet.

The hybrid is money in the bank! 136L fuel cell and a tuned 3.3NA for hybrid use would be great.

For towing you’re still looking pure gas. However, a diesel hybrid is something manufacturers need to investigate in the F-150.

Hello 30mpg city.
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age."

-H.P. Lovecraft

My Ride
    2021 Zonda CRV

Im on the opposite side of this. I don't think ICE vehicles are going to be obsolete anywhere soon or in the near future.

If you take the entire production processes of mining, transporting, processing and producing electric vehicles its not as green in comparison to ICE vehicles.

Automation may work on new cities bases on a grid system. But I don't see it happening unless the automated industry agrees on a uniform code where they can communicate with other cars to calculate telemetry, a communication system with traffic signals and smart roads. I dont see that happening for a while, the best the city councillors can do is build a airport tunnel that goes nowhere. Then you have issue of weather too. I don't see a automated vehicle going up the hill on 14th street when it snows.

Then you have unions. They see this coming, they are going to strike as they don't want their workers laid off. Hell we can't even get the Oyster card style tap and pay on the transit system here. What chance do we have of automation..?

Electric vehicles and gasoline have almost the same energy density. The problem with the electric vehicles and batteries is that the fuel not mobile. You are confined to your city. Which is not a bad point. But there are other issues.
    If I drive in the middle of nowhere and I run our of gas, I can still fill up. You can't do that with a electric vehicle. What about police and ambulance..? When there are multiples emergencies, do they stop and say wait. We have to recharge for a hour..?

We have disasters here, fire, flood, hail etc. What happens when there is a power outage and your car is low on charge and its -25c..? What about the guy who comes to fix the electrical station if his car has run out of electricity..?

Here is a example. Back in the late 90's protesters blockaded refineries in the UK because the price of fuel was too high. Petrol stations closed as they ran out of gas.
    This was all fine and dandy until the implications started to hit hard. Police, Firetrucks were impacted. More importantly nurses and doctors. They could not get to hospital. THey were asking if they could go to the head of the lineup as they could not get to work.

Now flip the scenario to electric. Its even worse.

How will automated vehicles work in places like India where people just refuse to obey traffic laws and you have cows in the middle of the road..? There is still a massive market for non automated and gasoline vehicles for a loooooong time.

Then there is possibility of marriage and our society breaking down.
    Supposing you ate a dodgy spicy chicken vindaloo the night before and in the morning you get the shits.. Combined with a heavy snowfall the night before and there is a powercut.

Name:  91107794-shock-face-of-asian-man-head-shot-.jpg
Views: 262
Size:  37.2 KB

You toilet stops flushing, you cant get a plumber out as there as his electric truck needs charging. The kids are screaming and crying because the toilet is getting filled with poo and they can't flush.

You wife is pissed at you and decides to file for divorce because you can't deal with shit. Cholera and Typhoid run rampant because of a lack of flushing water.
    Name:  Angry-wife.jpg
Views: 263
Size:  72.0 KB
    You cant get to hospital as Ambulances and emergency services are dealing with other emergencies and they have run out of charge.
    SO you run to the hospital with your child.

Name:  article-2522054-1A08A44900000578-768_634x461.jpg
Views: 264
Size:  70.9 KB
    Only to realise there are no doctors as they can't get to the hospital. The whole province transcends into apocalyptic chaos, people burn cars trying to stay warm.

Rachel Notley see's this as a political opportunity. She decides to shave her hair, change her name to Furiosa and jumps into a big rig towards the Alberta legislature to seize power.
    Name:  tumblr_p6fea2DN7P1qjqvdqo1_400.jpg
Views: 262
Size:  63.4 KB

Kenny gallantly gives chase down highway 2 and tries to stop her. The whole chase becomes the movie Mad Max but with snow.

Name:  maxresdefault.jpg
Views: 270
Size:  66.7 KB

Yeah... we are screwed.. I just don't see automation and electric happening soon.

Im off to make some afternoon tea...

As with all things look at what is the limiting factor. For vehicles in Calgary, its not the vehicles themselves - its the parking. What will exacerbate things is the idea that not every indoor spot has a NEMA high amp plug at disposal, and outdoor that much rarer.

Parking lots will have to do at least some revisions to run power cabling to be able to plug in cars. 1500 watt standard outlets will probably not cut it for many people. Although Alberta does tend to have rough electrical plug ins as block heaters as a good headstart on other cities.
    Cocoa $10,000 per ton.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-18-2019 at 04:53 PM.

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

I’m all for things that improve fuel efficiency whether it be EVs or advancements in ICE technology.

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

Honestly, as soon as automated taxi's become widely adopted, my days owning a car are over. They're too fucking expensive to sit around doing nothing 98% of the time. Would rather take that capital and apply it elsewhere.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-18-2019 at 04:53 PM.

My Ride
    Model 3 Performance

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    Guess internet replaced that haha. Who needs to go out and see shit when you have Instagram?
    Is that number also influenced by immigrants? I realize that teens aren't getting their licenses right away at 16 like when we were young but 26 seems pretty high.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by heavyD View Post
    Is that number also influenced by immigrants? I realize that teens aren't getting their licenses right away at 16 like when we were young but 26 seems pretty high.
    Our generation were fed the idea that if you wanna fuck, you need a car.

Now all you need is Tinder.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

I got my learners the day I turned 16 because I wanted out of the house and go places with friends. Is this not the case anymore?

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by revelations View Post
    I got my learners the day I turned 16 because I wanted out of the house and go places with friends. Is this not the case anymore?
    It was never the case with Asian families. Now I stay to see Caucasian kids are staying home well into 20s as well unless they leave home town for school.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

It's not. My brothers kids all took years, although they all did eventually get them.

I got my learners within 1 week of turning 14. Both parents said if I wanted to go anywhere I needed to drive them there.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Quote Originally Posted by Xtrema View Post
    It was never the case with Asian families. Now I stay to see Caucasian kids are staying home well into 20s as well unless they leave home town for school.
    Im talking about going to hang with friends - movies, diners, etc. Also sporting events to play.

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    It's not. My brothers kids all took years, although they all did eventually get them.

I got my learners within 1 week of turning 14. Both parents said if I wanted to go anywhere I needed to drive them there.
    Yea same - we had one car at the time so it meant lots of pickups and dropoffs if the car was to be used.

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

I got mine days after I turned 14, and my full licence in that same timeframe at 16.

My oldest daughter turned 14, and I keep poking her to get her learners, but she is in no rush...
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

My wife's sister is graduating high school next week. Doesn't even have her learners, less than no interest in driving.

Her younger sister is a few years younger though and I am sure will have hers within weeks of being legal.

There are a lot of messed up kids these days.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by spikerS View Post
    My oldest daughter turned 14, and I keep poking her to get her learners, but she is in no rush...
    do you drive her places?

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

honestly, she doesn't go far. She is an introvert and prefers to be alone most of the time. So if she goes anywhere, most of the time it is with us, so yes, we drive her.

I imagine it might be different if she had a vibrant social life...
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

I couldn't wait that long. I wanted my full license on my 16th birthday, so got my learners on my 14th birthday just to be ready.

And Tinder still doesn't help kids get laid when they live at home. I had no problem getting tail without Tinder at 16, the issue was needing somewhere to take them. Car it was. I would imagine that should still hold true? But I guess when kids are struggling to figure out which bathroom to use, sex becomes much more difficult waters to navigate.

As far as OP. We are WAY off of EV supremacy. Gasoline vehicles(When did we start using the acronym for In Car Entertainment synonymously to mean Internal combustion engine btw?) are here to stay for a long time. Even if they could figure out the logistics problem of EV's and get a charge time down to what it takes to fill up with gas, they still would need massive infrastructure improvements to the electrical system. Hell they already have rolling blackouts in some places just from the spike in A/C usage in summer months. How the hell are they going to deal with all those people simultaneously charging their batteries? Also, we are still depleting a natural resource for EV's to be possible. At what point do we become screwed because there isn't enough metals left to keep creating batteries? I'd speculate that could happen faster than we would run out of gasoline/oil. Unless we get space mining figured out sooner than later.

My Ride
    GR Supra MT, MK8 Golf R

I think ICE cars are safe for years to come. I personally can’t see myself getting into a fully electric car until something like the Tesla Model 3 Performance has the build quality of a car costing $50K, let alone $85K and of course it actually costs $50K (in today’s dollars). I don’t see that happening for 5-10 years at least.

We’re definitely living in a golden age of the ICE now, the average joe can afford a car with 650+HP

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast