Quantcast
Mistake to buy a gas powered vehicle these days? - Page 7 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: Mistake to buy a gas powered vehicle these days?

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-18-2019 at 05:01 PM.

My Ride
    SL550, P100DL, F-450, FIAT

Quote Originally Posted by Sugarphreak View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    True... but if you can afford a Tesla model X... you can just as easily afford a charter helicopter. If I put myself in the shoes of the relatives they are trying to impress... one second while I get into character. Hmmmmmmm I entered the stupid home lottery every year and never won..... Ok, I'm there: I'd be far more salty over them showing up in a helicopter than an trendy electric toy car.

I guess you can do 0-100km hero runs from every red light to piss off the wannabe local ricers though. I can understand it from that perspective.

I regularly drive between Vancouver and Calgary... generally if you leave early it isn't so bad the rest of the way. I find if you leave too late, the entire trip is garbage.

Aside from that road construction mess where they were resurfacing the road a few years ago, it has been pretty clear every-time I've gone.

Really the biggest issue is complacent drivers that just tail along behind super slow moving RV's... they make it much harder to quickly pass in single lane areas. Probably growing steadily worse with more people using autopilot.

For people that want a nice relaxing chill out drive... take a Greyhound. You can even recline and sleep all you want. Better for the environment, easier on your pocket book, and it removes a bunch of people who don't want to drive themselves off the road and out of my way.

The odds of being decapitated by Tesla autopilot are statistically higher than Vince Lee being back on a Greyhound anytime soon.... so that is hardly an excuse anymore.
    Someone seems sours again

Quote Originally Posted by Misterman View Post
    I think you're the 2nd person to mention Kamloops in the same breath with Sicamous. What are you guys doing? Driving all the way to Edmonton, then going west on yellowhead till you link up with the Coquihala to come south? Kamloops is an hour and half drive on the other side of Sicamous. Or is this a tongue in cheek comment to joke that there is basically nowhere to pass until you get to Sicamous? Or did you mean Revelstoke maybe?
    When leaving Calgary you pass through Sicamous to get to Kamloops ( or in my case Scotch Creek )
    Professionally Retired

My Ride

If I could afford a helicopter and the copoius amounts of training needed I would probably do that. Sadly, that is not the case.
    Professionally Retired

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

Quote Originally Posted by KPHMPH View Post
    Someone seems sours again

When leaving Calgary you pass through Sicamous to get to Kamloops ( or in my case Scotch Creek )
    The roads on the North side of the lake are prime as long as you avoid pissing anyone off.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Really the biggest issue is complacent drivers that just tail along behind super slow moving RV's... they make it much harder to quickly pass in single lane areas. Probably growing steadily worse with more people using autopilot.

For people that want a nice relaxing chill out drive... take a Greyhound. You can even recline and sleep all you want. Better for the environment, easier on your pocket book, and it removes a bunch of people who don't want to drive themselves off the road and out of my way.

The odds of being decapitated by Tesla autopilot are statistically higher than Vince Lee being back on a Greyhound anytime soon.... so that is hardly an excuse anymore.
    This sounds too much like Zenops line of reasoning.

Who the fuck wants to take Greyhound to the Shushwap? Youre going to walk around? the fuck? What about kids?

What the fuck is the point of passing people on the #1 in the summer (single lane road) when you just end up behind ANOTHER RV/truck right away?

I used to have a crotch rocket and I made it my business to pass the world on that road. Guess what? All the people I passed, would pass me again when I was busy getting gas after riding like a dingis.

Lesson learned.

My Ride

Let me put it this way. I have been driving that road for 4 years and the drive it boring if you drive slow, fast, aggressive, passive, lovely or spirited. I have to drive that road regardless and having the AI take over and take a huge amount of stress really does help. Instead of getting to the lake exhausted I get to the lake ready to go. Until you have it you honestly don’t know what I mean.
    Professionally Retired

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Charter helicopters are not that much though

You will lose more in depreciation per year on that Tesla for the next 5 years than a half dozen annual charter helicopter trips.
    So how many helicopter trips from Alberta to BC can you take for the price of a P100D?

Since they are so cheap.

I think you are stretching bud, and I dislike Tesla’s and self driving as much as anyone
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    18 Model S, 20 Macan S, 67 Camaro & 11 SLS

Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    Sounds fair that the 110 is free if it’s included in your fees, but I don’t really get why they had to spend 30k in upgrades and accommodations for you? Seems odd unless somehow electric car quick charging was explicitly included in the condo fee? That’s the only thing that stands out as a head scratcher.
    Not just for me, they want to set it up so that they could accommodate any other owners wanting to do the same thing.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

I’ve done Calgary to Kamloops and back twice now with the Mercedes semi autonomous system, for the boring parts of the drive it’s nice to let the car do all the work. So I do get where he’s coming from. Throw me on the 1A to Banff and I’m doing all the driving myself.

It’s no different than my day to day commute. Let the car drive itself on the long straights in traffic where there’s no opportunities to pass without driving like a dick, as well as bumper to bumper shit that just frustrates me under my control. Mentally, it’s definitely less stressful, and stop giving a fuck about others doing dumb shit on the road.

Honest question for killramos, do you enjoy being in control in say bumper to bumper traffic jams and other situations where you’re not moving forward and stuck in a train?
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My favorite part is that little windy stretch before Golden... such a fun set of corners. However, it has been at least 10 years since I got to have some fun through it. Early in the morning, late at night... I can never catch a break. Some stupid asshole always has to do 15km/h through there. Sigh.

The worst thing they ever did was make that road safer... it was a lot more fun when it was more dangerous, and little old ladies stayed away
    Time for you to take a driving vacation in the 100 Mile House area, the land of twisty paved two lane goodness.
    Will fuck off, again.

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    My least favorite part of that drive is the years of cock teasing signs that talks about twinning highway 1 between Kamloops and the Alberta border.
    At least they're finally working on it now.

KPHMPH has a place in Kamloops. It's a different conversation. It's not all about you.
    Great for him. Usually if people start a separate conversation about driving the opposite direction in a reply to an already existing conversation, they will clarify that. My apologies that I haven't been here long enough for it to be common sense that a member here owns property in Kamloops. Even though I didn't reply to him, and specifically replied to the guy saying Calgary to Sicamous, which doesn't involve Kamloops at all.

- - - Updated - - -

True... but if you can afford a Tesla model X... you can just as easily afford a charter helicopter. If I put myself in the shoes of the relatives they are trying to impress... one second while I get into character. Hmmmmmmm I entered the stupid home lottery every year and never won..... Ok, I'm there: I'd be far more salty over them showing up in a helicopter than an trendy electric toy car.
    Well with this kind of reasoning, why drive a car on the street with the minions at all? I mean if you can afford a Tesla, you can obviously afford a 100acre property and a build a private race track on it.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Honest question for killramos, do you enjoy being in control in say bumper to bumper traffic jams and other situations where you’re not moving forward and stuck in a train?
    Not like you are allowed to do something else while you sit there.

To be fair I’ll probably pony up for the extra sensors etc. in my next car just cause I like gadgets. Hard to say whether or lot it’s just a gimmick until I try it long term. Until then I maintain a healthy level of skepticism.

But those transportation pod concepts that you just sit inside while it ferry’s you around, that is what I take offence to.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Whats funny is that the #1 highway will be twinned from Golden to Kamloops right around the time autonomous vehicles come of age.

They would be useful right NOW as once the road is twinned, it will be much more interesting to drive for sure.

My Ride

1335$ an hour is the charge out rate for below. So... conservatively about 120 hours of flight time.

https://www.valhallahelicopters.com/...pter-charters/

And proof that helicopters will make people more salty than a Tesla....
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbc.ca/amp/1.5162811

As final proof... killramos is usually pretty laid back about spending copiously, yet I start throwing around the cheap price of helicopters and even he gets a little sour on it.

I've driven it regularly for about 20 years

If you are feeling worn out by Kamloops, you are doing it wrong. I too vacation in the Okanagan, I usually have a fantastic drive out and am ready to go when I arrive.

Everyone is different of course... I just don't buy that autopilot (of any kind) is any good for long road trips. IMO it ruins it.

So do automatic transmissions... but that is an argument for another thread!
    Well fuck, I’m clearly living my life wrong.

*proceeds to charter a helicopter to mcDonalds for my morning ice coffee*
    Professionally Retired

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 ... LastLast