Quantcast
Mistake to buy a gas powered vehicle these days? - Page 6 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Mistake to buy a gas powered vehicle these days?

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Man, the EV infrastructure setup in 220-240 countries is so much better.

We got screwed with 120v.

My Ride
    18 Model S, 20 Macan S, 67 Camaro & 11 SLS

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Of the early Tesla owners I know, overkill for home charging was the mistake that everyone seems to make early on, buying dual chargers in early cars etc. You really don't need uber fast charging at home, as you're typically at home for 10h+ a day. More than enough time to charge for daily driving, even in the worst of winter. Fast charging also decreases the life of the battery, so it's better to charge at the slowest rate at home to match your driving patterns.

There's pretty much 0 need for supercharging speeds at home.
    You're right, I've never drained the battery low enough that it's not fully charged when I wake up.

Quote Originally Posted by Sugarphreak View Post
    Yeah that is pretty sweet

How much was it to install the panels though? Did you see a big bump in your monthly dues?
    Panels were 20k I think for the condo building. Came out of the reserve fund, I think. It was actually a bit of a pain to get done, had to get my lawyer involved and threaten to sue the condo corp (yes, I'm loved by the 65+ yr olds in my building aka BOD). Then to run power to my spaces was $1460.00, including the cost for the permit.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-18-2019 at 05:03 PM.

My Ride
    VW R32 Turbo

Quote Originally Posted by Jlude View Post
    You're right, I've never drained the battery low enough that it's not fully charged when I wake up.

Panels were 20k I think for the condo building. Came out of the reserve fund, I think. It was actually a bit of a pain to get done, had to get my lawyer involved and threaten to sue the condo corp (yes, I'm loved by the 65+ yr olds in my building aka BOD). Then to run power to my spaces was $1460.00, including the cost for the permit.
    Interesting. Is there precedence for forcing a condo board to provide the charging to a tenant with an EV?
    Originally posted by sputnik
    Cell providers are the next Blockbuster video stores.

My Ride
    *The First*

My house came with a 240V outlet already in the garage, but that's about the only thing I find tempting about a fully electric vehicle.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Quote Originally Posted by cam_wmh View Post
    Interesting. Is there precedence for forcing a condo board to provide the charging to a tenant with an EV?
    Yea I don’t really get why they are on the hook for someone buying a Tesla?
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    SL550, P100DL, F-450, FIAT

For long road trips? In that scenario why wouldn't you just fly?

Wanting your vehicle in the place you’re going to be would be a big one.

I’m out in the Shuswap a decent amount of time in the summer and it’s nice having my vehicle out there.

I can definitely say not having to touch the steering wheel from Calgary to Golden really takes A LOT of stress off the trip out to Kamloops.
    Professionally Retired

My Ride
    18 Model S, 20 Macan S, 67 Camaro & 11 SLS

Quote Originally Posted by cam_wmh View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    Yea I don’t really get why they are on the hook for someone buying a Tesla?

Electricity is included in our condo fees. I have a 110 plug next to my stalls which I started using, then the property manager started bitching at me and threatening to unplug my car from that 110v plug for a variety of reasons, none of which made any sense and were quickly proven to be BS. There were literally 10 cars in our parking garage with trickle chargers plugged in (snowbirds) or people who were plugging in their block heater (in a heated garage?) but she had a problem with my unauthorized usage of power. That's the main reason I got my lawyer involved, and I was too busy to deal with the nonsense anymore.

They also tried getting me to sign an insanely one sided condo corp bylaw amendment that essentially made me liable if anyone in the building had electrical issues.

They didn't have a clue what they were doing, I had to tell them how much they needed to charge everyone monthly.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Quote Originally Posted by Jlude View Post
    Electricity is included in our condo fees. I have a 110 plug next to my stalls which I started using, then the property manager started bitching at me and threatening to unplug my car from that 110v plug for a variety of reasons, none of which made any sense and were quickly proven to be BS. There were literally 10 cars in our parking garage with trickle chargers plugged in (snowbirds) or people who were plugging in their block heater (in a heated garage?) but she had a problem with my unauthorized usage of power. That's the main reason I got my lawyer involved, and I was too busy to deal with the nonsense anymore.

They also tried getting me to sign an insanely one sided condo corp bylaw amendment that essentially made me liable if anyone in the building had electrical issues.

They didn't have a clue what they were doing, I had to tell them how much they needed to charge everyone monthly.
    Sounds fair that the 110 is free if it’s included in your fees, but I don’t really get why they had to spend 30k in upgrades and accommodations for you? Seems odd unless somehow electric car quick charging was explicitly included in the condo fee? That’s the only thing that stands out as a head scratcher.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Very interesting thread. Have to admit I'm in the Camp of Hesitation about a full EV fleet and autonomous vehicles in Alberta any time soon (or my lifetime if I'm being honest). Came across this article today about KLM's new V-Plane design with its project leader stating, "We cannot simply electrify the whole fleet, as electrified airplanes become way too heavy and you can't fly people across the Atlantic on electric airplanes -- not now, not in 30 years," Vos said." Different vehicle certainly but combustion engines are going to be around for awhile yet.

I have to wonder if the shipping industry via barge would benefit most from EV; certainly a huge pollution emitter.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    Touareg, Cayenne, 944s

Quote Originally Posted by msommers View Post
    I have to wonder if the shipping industry via barge would benefit most from EV; certainly a huge pollution emitter.
    Interestingly, there's been a move back towards sails (rotor sails and kite sails). I wonder if we might start seeing more hybrid ships, but admittedly I don't know much beyond the headlines.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-18-2019 at 05:03 PM.

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by JustinL View Post
    Interestingly, there's been a move back towards sails (rotor sails and kite sails). I wonder if we might start seeing more hybrid ships, but admittedly I don't know much beyond the headlines.
    Thats not likely - the shipping business is slowing down vessels as water drag is the biggest factor - increases at the cube of speed. The newer, giant, 2 stroke engines with regen, are some of the most efficient internal combustion systems ever built.

Apparently the kite method works on smaller vessels, but the cost of deployment and the mechanical headaches have not yet been worked out.

I definitely wouldn't enjoy that, road trips are about the experience for me... sitting like a lump of meat for 5 or 6 hours while your car does all the driving sounds awful.

If my goal was to go to the Shuswap and skip the drive, I'd rather fly in and rent a car. More convenient, quicker, and certainly a lot less expensive than a self driving car.
    Well you spend 1 hour at least in airport, 1 hour flight to Kelowna, then 30 min waiting for and grabbing bags, then another 30min to an hour getting your rental car, then a 1.5 hour drive to Sicamous. So all in you spend 4.5-5 hours sitting like a lump in an airport and then a boring rental car, to avoid sitting like a lump in an autonomous car for 5 hours.

Driving used to be a really enjoyable part of the trip when you could drive 140km/h the whole way because there wasn't much else for traffic on the road. But now that it's bumper to bumper traffic all summer, and cops over enforcing everything, it's no longer enjoyable to just set the cruise at 100km/h and zone out till you arrive or hit the ditch, whatever happens first.

My Ride

I definitely wouldn't enjoy that, road trips are about the experience for me... sitting like a lump of meat for 5 or 6 hours while your car does all the driving sounds awful.

If my goal was to go to the Shuswap and skip the drive, I'd rather fly in and rent a car. More convenient, quicker, and certainly a lot less expensive than a self driving car.
    You have not done the Calgary to Sushwap commute in the summer then. #1 is a rolling traffic jam of trucks, RVs and construction.

You arent going much faster than the slowest unit, past Golden until close to Kamloops. Yes there are passing sections, but you just end up behind ANOTHER turtle.

Might as well put it in autodrive and just chillout while the AI deals with the traffic,

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

The 1 to Shuswap is either a complete shitshow or smooth sailing. I find it nicer to take my truck these days and cruise at the speed limit than be in my car passing people endlessly as quickly as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by revelations View Post

You arent going much faster than the slowest unit, past Golden until close to Kamloops.
    I think you're the 2nd person to mention Kamloops in the same breath with Sicamous. What are you guys doing? Driving all the way to Edmonton, then going west on yellowhead till you link up with the Coquihala to come south? Kamloops is an hour and half drive on the other side of Sicamous. Or is this a tongue in cheek comment to joke that there is basically nowhere to pass until you get to Sicamous? Or did you mean Revelstoke maybe?

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by Misterman View Post
    I think you're the 2nd person to mention Kamloops in the same breath with Sicamous. What are you guys doing? Driving all the way to Edmonton, then going west on yellowhead till you link up with the Coquihala to come south? Kamloops is an hour and half drive on the other side of Sicamous. Or is this a tongue in cheek comment to joke that there is basically nowhere to pass until you get to Sicamous? Or did you mean Revelstoke maybe?
    KPHMPH has a place in Kamloops. It's a different conversation. It's not all about you.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-18-2019 at 05:02 PM.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

I regularly drive between Vancouver and Calgary... generally if you leave early it isn't so bad the rest of the way. I find if you leave too late, the entire trip is garbage.

Aside from that road construction mess where they were resurfacing the road a few years ago, it has been pretty clear every-time I've gone.
    My least favorite part of that drive is the years of cock teasing signs that talks about twinning highway 1 between Kamloops and the Alberta border.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 ... LastLast