Quantcast
Why do people talk about how many km they get on a tank?! - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Why do people talk about how many km they get on a tank?!

Quote Originally Posted by 370Z View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Genuinely curious why some people talk about how many km they they get on a tank.

Drives me nuts because every car's gas tank is a different size. My wife's Juke gets maybe 400 km but it's only a 40 liter or so tank, my old Pathfinder gets about 550 but it's an 80 liter tank.

Was there a time in the olden days when all gas tanks were the same size?

This is even worse, my mother in law likes to ask "How much does it cost to fill up?"... what a goddamn stupid thing to ask.
    Might have something to do with people wanting relevant information? What do I care about MPG? I don't want to do math to figure out how far my vehicle can go. And I'm not in some nerd competition with friends or family to see who has the most fuel efficient vehicle.
    Last edited by Misterman; 06-05-2019 at 06:16 AM.

My Ride
    Buffalo Truck & An Angry Kitty

It's all about the range. We used to have a CR-V and while it was a great little car to boot around the city in it had a small fuel tank and would only get 450 KM on the highway, I hated that. Two of the vehicles in our house now exceed 700 KM highway range so that means only one stop between here & my furthest normal driving destination. You can't make good time if you're always pulling over for fuel.
    "Masked Bandit is a gateway drug for frugal spending." - Unknown303

My Ride
    Silverado

Cause range matters. If I had to pick between a 70L tank and. A 120 L tank who wouldn't pick the bigger one? I just drove from Regina to virden and back and it was nice that only had to fill the rental before I returned it.

A coworker bought a diesel f350 with a 80L tank and he gets like 350km range when towing. The 120L version would go almost 600, which is reasonable enough that you're not stopping in every town.
    I don't know why your friends would use range of discussing fuel economy..
    Last edited by dirtsniffer; 06-05-2019 at 06:40 AM.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

I’ll derail the thread.

Name:  41706C13-A4EC-45B5-9868-3F39A069A6AF.jpg
Views: 293
Size:  46.6 KB
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    *The First*

I still remember the erections I would get dreaming about getting over 1,000km per tank on the first generation TDI's... Too bad I couldn't afford one at the time. I'd probably still have it. Half a million kilometers and a crusty steering wheel due for a third replacement.

My Ride
    changes daily :D

in addition to also hating trying to figure out gas mileage, I also don't care enough about the price of gas to worry about saving a buck or two when I fill my tank. my best friend always talks up Costco as the only place to get gas because it is cheaper than anywhere else, but i'm not about to start wasting time out of my day to drive farther than I have to for gas.

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

Quote Originally Posted by Sugarphreak View Post
    Movement is survival.... I feel bad for people that can only go 400km or so. The zombie horde will catch you and consume your family.
    That's only valid assuming everyone runs at 100% full all the time. In reality there are NE drivers who fill up $20 at a time after the light goes on.

My Ride
    4Runner

Quote Originally Posted by infamous View Post
    in addition to also hating trying to figure out gas mileage, I also don't care enough about the price of gas to worry about saving a buck or two when I fill my tank. my best friend always talks up Costco as the only place to get gas because it is cheaper than anywhere else, but i'm not about to start wasting time out of my day to drive farther than I have to for gas.
    Only reason i gas up at costco is to fill up on premium since it seems to be cheaper than anywhere else

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

But really I’m annoyed my truck only has a 96L tank. Sometimes I only get 350-400km range when towing into the wind. If only slip tanks weren’t so pricey and didn’t eat up box space.

My Ride
    06 S2000

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    I think the average person cares way more about how far they can go between fill ups for the convenience factor, rather than how much it costs to fill up, as that ends up being a totally insignificant cost for most unless you do a ton of driving in an extremely inefficient vehicle.

If someone is bragging about it or something though, they probably just don't understand how mileage calculations work haha.

The dumber question is "how much does it cost to fill up", because the answer is exactly the same on a per liter basis as everyone else aside from the slight price difference in fuel grades.
    Pretty much this. What the range of the tank is, essentially means "How often do I need to go to gas stations?"
    Quote Originally Posted by heavyfuel View Post
    That's why I just say I have a 4" dick and lift weights to make up for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    My car sounds like shit.

Quote Originally Posted by infamous View Post
    Oh man, I hear people getting hard ons over 3 cents difference and going out of their way. Like fuck that, that's less than 2$ of savings on the average car. I probably should use Costco myself, it's a 10 cent per liter savings, and it's directly on my path of travel every day. Mainly I just refuse to go because I can't collect credit card points there.

My Ride
    LNF

Truck owners are probably the worst for this.. "My truck gets 1200k to a tank.. It is better on fuel than your truck that gets 700k to a tank.."

Also seems like most truck owners exaggerate their mileage.. Somehow half the people I know with trucks are getting <10 L/100k with their KM to a tank..

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

My brothers ex wife would drive their truck like a drunken sailor and get 14mpg average plus 1 speeding ticket a month.

I borrow the vehicle and get 18mpg on average (mixed driving).

Even with the same vehicle, the gas tank range can vary considerably.

My Ride
    (0^oo^0)~

Personally I like to know mileage and how efficient other cars are just because it's a fun tidbit for myself. Way too many variables (driving habits, city/highway, etc.) though.

My weekly schedule is pretty routine so knowing how many KM's I typically get is just added info. Other than that it's pretty moot; if I'm empty, I have to fill up.

My Ride
    V167

miss my TDI's. I think my record was 1440km on a tank. Calgary -> Kelowna, drove around Okanagan -> return trip to Calgary.

My Ride
    Indian Scout

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    I think the average person cares way more about how far they can go between fill ups for the convenience factor, rather than how much it costs to fill up, as that ends up being a totally insignificant cost for most unless you do a ton of driving in an extremely inefficient vehicle.
    A friend of mine who's a Western Canada account manager for Snap-on just 'upgraded' from a fuel-efficient SUV to a massive pickup. He does a ton of driving in a (now) extremely inefficient vehicle.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Quote Originally Posted by nismodrifter View Post
    miss my TDI's. I think my record was 1440km on a tank. Calgary -> Kelowna, drove around Okanagan -> return trip to Calgary.
    Holy f*ck that's incredible!

The highest I've ever gotten out of my 4R was ~600Km. I think I had a tail wind and was going downhill to get that high 80L tank
    Ultracrepidarian

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-18-2019 at 04:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by msommers View Post
    Holy f*ck that's incredible!

The highest I've ever gotten out of my 4R was ~600Km. I think I had a tail wind and was going downhill to get that high 80L tank
    That area is mostly 90-100km speed limits (or way less if a camper is in front of you) if I am not mistaken, which helps quite a bit with economy.

We took a TDI Golf to Colorado and back and we got 1100 or so KM to a tank at 80-90MPH average so I could definitely believe 1400km at more efficient speeds and especially if you ran it down to the low fuel warnings.

The Civic is OK but definitely not as good as the TDI. It'll do over 800KM on the highway which is somewhere around 5.5L/100km and about 600km with city/mixed driving. Some people claim to get over 1000km to a tank on the highway but I would never run it that low.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Agreed that driving 90-100 makes a dramatic difference in Fuel economy. Less wind and rolling resistance, and puts most cars at a substantially lower RPM. Going faster is really an exponential penalty.

High rpm at 120-130 is a big part of why my C63 never gets good highway mileage(10.5L/100+). I bet the new 9-MCT’s Get way better highway mileage.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast