Quantcast
Calgary Goldhunt - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 76

Thread: Calgary Goldhunt

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    calgary.ab.ca
    My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon
    Posts
    7,304
    Rep Power
    23

    Default

    Did you have to have a ticket to win the prize? Seems like once reddit starts posting all the clue info your revenue would drop off pretty quick

  2. #22
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Calgary,AB
    My Ride
    2013 Toyota Highlander Sport
    Posts
    734
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    yes you cant claim unless you have a map /and or clues

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Edmonton/Calgary
    My Ride
    AM - V
    Posts
    4,110
    Rep Power
    22

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ercchry View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Did you have to have a ticket to win the prize? Seems like once reddit starts posting all the clue info your revenue would drop off pretty quick
    Even so my understanding is that all the revenue is generated pre-hunt. As in they don't release any clues until all the maps/tickets have been sold. So sell, sell, sell before the scheduled date when the hunt is supposed to begin. Then they don't care who leaks what information. I am talking for the business' perspective - not the individual 'hunters' of course. Don't care about that shit. lol.

    EDIT: Just read that even after the clue announcement they were still selling maps/tickets. So yea theoretically clue leakage would be an issue but you just make it so that whoever is claiming a win has to have the ticket and map in order to get verified. That should take care of that.
    Last edited by shakalaka; 06-05-2019 at 02:47 PM.

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    Treg/B7
    Posts
    198
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    I don't think this idea is finished. Everyone is already saying they hope they or someone else does another one soon. It is gambling and everyone that played the first would play again. I would think the second go around would actually have more momentum. To your point the more clever the idea the more free PR you get.

    This is similar to me as the selling a house contest. For 20 dollars to enter a letter on why you should win. It could in theory pay for the house two times over.
    Last edited by Rarasaurus; 06-05-2019 at 02:47 PM.

  5. #25
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    calgary
    My Ride
    The SHBARUS
    Posts
    2,256
    Rep Power
    18

    Default

    What's to stop an acquaintance of the organizer to find the treasure before any legit player can?

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    calgary.ab.ca
    My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon
    Posts
    7,304
    Rep Power
    23

    Default

    You wouldn’t need a whole lot of capital to get this off the ground if you’re preselling tickets and offering a “certificate” for the prize, you’d have a large enough redemption window to use the ticket proceeds to payout the $100k... also if sales are not high enough you can also refund tickets and walk away

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Edmonton/Calgary
    My Ride
    AM - V
    Posts
    4,110
    Rep Power
    22

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ercchry View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You wouldn’t need a whole lot of capital to get this off the ground if you’re preselling tickets and offering a “certificate” for the prize, you’d have a large enough redemption window to use the ticket proceeds to payout the $100k... also if sales are not high enough you can also refund tickets and walk away
    That's also a great idea.

    These guys though actually buried a chest full of Gold and Silver coins worth $300K sounds like from the articles. There's a picture of the Edmonton family that found the chest with it. Fuck the more I think about it, the more I wanna do it. Haha.

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Calgary, AB
    Posts
    1,818
    Rep Power
    19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shakalaka View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That's also a great idea.

    These guys though actually buried a chest full of Gold and Silver coins worth $300K sounds like from the articles. There's a picture of the Edmonton family that found the chest with it. Fuck the more I think about it, the more I wanna do it. Haha.
    No they buried a chest with a certificate in it that is used to claim the prize.

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Cruising the +15
    My Ride
    100% SAVAGE
    Posts
    6,103
    Rep Power
    26

    Default

    Aglc is for sure going to step in am regulate these things. Just like those "writing contest can win a house" deals. Government won't leave it alone for long.

  10. #30
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta
    My Ride
    (maah raahde)
    Posts
    5,719
    Rep Power
    26

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Aglc is for sure going to step in am regulate these things. Just like those "writing contest can win a house" deals. Government won't leave it alone for long.
    They stepped in to investigate the house contest but in the end deemed that wasn't anything they needed to be involved in.

  11. #31
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Edmonton/Calgary
    My Ride
    AM - V
    Posts
    4,110
    Rep Power
    22

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by roopi View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    No they buried a chest with a certificate in it that is used to claim the prize.
    Ah cool. That's even better then like mentioned above. Don't even need the damn cashflow to begin with.

  12. #32
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    Treg/B7
    Posts
    198
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Apparently AGLC said since it is a competition it is not gambling and they do not need to be involved. Probably similar for house contests. Their FAQ on the site also says they will stop selling tickets when they get to 1% of city population. That's around 13k tickets in Calgary if they could sell out or $5-600g in revenue.


    Time for a beyond win a Jeep "competition'.

  13. #33
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Edmonton/Calgary
    My Ride
    AM - V
    Posts
    4,110
    Rep Power
    22

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Aglc is for sure going to step in am regulate these things. Just like those "writing contest can win a house" deals. Government won't leave it alone for long.
    Yea I read AGLC said it's nothing they need to be involved in or required to regulate/approve.

  14. #34
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Cruising the +15
    My Ride
    100% SAVAGE
    Posts
    6,103
    Rep Power
    26

    Default

    I'm betting they change thier tune. Regulators gotta regulate
    126005898312-warren-g-regulate_music_video_ov.jpg

  15. #35
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    YVR
    Posts
    4,954
    Rep Power
    22

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm betting they change thier tune. Regulators gotta regulate
    126005898312-warren-g-regulate_music_video_ov.jpg
    lol well done man. So random.

  16. #36
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Calgary, AB
    Posts
    1,818
    Rep Power
    19

    Default

    Won by someone who came from Edmonton to look for it:

    https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/edmontoni...sure-1.4452984

  17. #37
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta
    My Ride
    E46
    Posts
    249
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by spikerS View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I was one of those that hid one of the cards, and it was a TON of work to get it to try and make it work seamless. I don't remember who won the one I hid, but it worked out pretty well in the end. I was busy monitoring my hunts progression that I never found out how the others did theirs.
    That was me! Had a blast driving around the city with the gf at the time. Thought everything was clever and well done.

    TL

  18. #38
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Parked in Baygirl's garage.
    My Ride
    2019 F150 Lariat 3.5L BOOST!
    Posts
    4,117
    Rep Power
    19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Little Dragon View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That was me! Had a blast driving around the city with the gf at the time. Thought everything was clever and well done.
    Oh yeah, it was you, i totally forgot! Thanks for the kudos.

    and just like @BerserkerCatSplat said, I, too, would do it again in a heartbeat.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

    Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

  19. #39
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta
    My Ride
    (maah raahde)
    Posts
    5,719
    Rep Power
    26

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by spikerS View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Oh yeah, it was you, i totally forgot! Thanks for the kudos.

    and just like @BerserkerCatSplat said, I, too, would do it again in a heartbeat.
    I was thinking about that the other day too. That was a lot of fun and if I had known BCS was going to do his clues the way he did, I wouldn't have made mine so straight forward haha

    https://forums.beyond.ca/threads/353...-Hunt-DOWNTOWN!

  20. #40
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Victoria Park
    My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom
    Posts
    3,399
    Rep Power
    18

    Default

    Link to Scavenger Hunt for reference:
    https://forums.beyond.ca/threads/353...nd-my-2nd-gift

    Beyond's 20th in 3 years!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Calgary, need your help.. (University of Calgary question)

    By MidnightSpecial in forum Campus Chat
    Replies: 79
    Latest Threads: 02-11-2009, 11:23 AM
  2. FS: Calgary Flames & Calgary Stampeders Tickets

    By slick2404 in forum Event Tickets / Attraction Passes
    Replies: 0
    Latest Threads: 10-29-2008, 02:16 PM
  3. Calgary's MLA's raise and Calgary's increase property tax

    By Daxin in forum Society / Law / Current Events / Politics
    Replies: 16
    Latest Threads: 04-02-2008, 03:39 PM
  4. Calgary's MLA's raise and Calgary's increase property tax

    By Daxin in forum Society / Law / Current Events / Politics
    Replies: 3
    Latest Threads: 04-02-2008, 02:39 PM
  5. Calgary rebicyclist of Calgary AD

    By Kritafo in forum General
    Replies: 3
    Latest Threads: 03-14-2008, 08:33 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •