Quantcast
What's the best way to get a car that's a good deal? - Page 4 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: What's the best way to get a car that's a good deal?

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That's rough - I guess though if you're doing it for a living your sample size is going to be way higher, so you will see the full gamut. If you gave a deposit to someone that wasn't a dealer, and decided not to take the car, why would you be expecting it back? Either way it would be in writing, no?
    It’s almost always a case of giving a deposit on the agreement a vehicle doesn’t need anything has no damage etc and showing up to find considerable damage (usually hail or keyed panels that sellers try to convince you doesn’t exist or can be “buffed out” which flat out isn’t possible. This is why I mentioned back about using terms like “if the vehicle is as you described” and getting it in writing is always preferable. I always get a receipt for deposits as well. Unfortunately people think that can now just keep the deposit or we can take it (and either make no money or potentially lose money depending on what needs to be fixed) without negotiating on price or handing back the deposit. I always make sure I have a VIN in writing (usually a photo of their registration with their name also showing) before I ever give a deposit. I’ve also had to register liens for deposits that people refuse to return in situations like this in the past which is another reason I don’t like them. I’d rather send them a photo of the bank draft and receipts while I’m on the way there to prove I’m serious.

As for the stolen vehicle, it was a terrible situation where someone broke into a rural home and targeted someone away long term who wouldn’t know it was stolen for a period of time and wouldn’t be able to report it. They knew the vehicle had no liens so a lien search wouldn’t raise flags and were working in a ring with other people. All paperwork, ID, addresses etc matched up and they probably figured by the time the owner knew and reported it they would be long gone. Lucky for me they were stupid and showed up to post bail in a small town for an associate in a stolen vehicle, and RCMP recognized the vehicle and arrested them over a month before we found out we had bought a stolen vehicle.

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

Quote Originally Posted by D'z Nutz View Post
    That's an interesting take on it. I guess I fall into the latter category.

For me, I can't even begin to count how many times I've had buyers message me with "I'll take it!", "I'm interested!", and even "I'll come pick it up now" only to never hear from them again. I've just gotten to the point where I think everyone on Kijiji is flaky and until they show up with cash in hand, nobody is serious and the sale isn't final. It has nothing to do with me being a liar and everything with everyone else is full of shit. Hell, I don't even give out my phone number most of the time anymore cause they can contact me through Kijiji.

I think you are branching too far from a discussion on vehicle sales to just general items which is a whole different shit show. I hate selling items on Kijiji as everyone always has the same experiences as everyone else, there’s a million time wasters when you deal in cash sales. When I’m buying vehicles I’m showing up with a bank draft most of the time after sending a photo ahead of time to prove I’m serious, and I’m almost always requesting to meet at a bank of some sort.

My Ride
    (0^oo^0)~

Okay so another private G37XS just popped up in Edmonton. There was no phone # on the ad so I messaged him within the hour of the ad going up and I'm certain I was the first cause there were only 2 views when I reached out.

He's in Fort Mac at the moment so he asked to meet next Thursday. I told him I had funds ready to go and to make a deal on the spot pending test drive and a quick look at it. I also mentioned that I messaged him straight away since I wanted to be the first person to look at the vehicle.

I think that's all I can do at the moment. I haven't asked him to take his ad down and I'm sure he's already gotten a couple other messages.

Seller is out at the moment but we'll be chatting on the phone once he gets home from the Raptors game where I can ask him a couple more questions about the car. Feeling optimistic so far.

My Ride
    G37X

I'd make sure to look at 2012+ if you're going to be keeping it for a while. A potentially serious engine issue was fixed that year. If you have any questions about the car let me know.

My Ride
    (0^oo^0)~

Ah, this is a 2011.

My Ride
    *The First*

Quote Originally Posted by relyt92 View Post
    I'd make sure to look at 2012+ if you're going to be keeping it for a while. A potentially serious engine issue was fixed that year. If you have any questions about the car let me know.
    It's a VQ37VHR, isn't it? That thing has been in everything in the Nissan family for YEARS.
    What issue are you talking about and why 2011 and not 2014? Wasn't it the same from 2009-2014 or longer?
    Last edited by ThePenIsMightier; 06-15-2019 at 11:08 PM.

My Ride
    (0^oo^0)~

The VQ37 is reliable and as you said has been around forever. I did a bit more reading and I didn't catch it before, but the pre-2012's seem to have inferior oil gallery gaskets in the rear timing cover.

My Ride
    2013 Toyota RAV4

I'm in Edmonton and can take a look at the car if you want, before making the drive all the way up here. Send me a PM and we can work out some details.

Quote Originally Posted by D'z Nutz View Post
    That's an interesting take on it. I guess I fall into the latter category.

For me, I can't even begin to count how many times I've had buyers message me with "I'll take it!", "I'm interested!", and even "I'll come pick it up now" only to never hear from them again. I've just gotten to the point where I think everyone on Kijiji is flaky and until they show up with cash in hand, nobody is serious and the sale isn't final. It has nothing to do with me being a liar and everything with everyone else is full of shit. Hell, I don't even give out my phone number most of the time anymore cause they can contact me through Kijiji.
    I stopped giving out my number too lol

Quote Originally Posted by Twin_Cam_Turbo View Post
    I think you are branching too far from a discussion on vehicle sales to just general items which is a whole different shit show. I hate selling items on Kijiji as everyone always has the same experiences as everyone else, there’s a million time wasters when you deal in cash sales. When I’m buying vehicles I’m showing up with a bank draft most of the time after sending a photo ahead of time to prove I’m serious, and I’m almost always requesting to meet at a bank of some sort.
    You might not get the typical "ill buy it" or "ill take it now" replies when it comes to car sales but the BS is still there for most private kijiji transactions. My last 3 bikes were bought the same way as you though, found what i wanted, negotiated price and showed up purchased within the first meet(they were only a couple years old though so no need for inspection) and funny you do the photo thing too because i did that on my second last one, some younger guy was sick of negotiating with flakes so i texted him a pic of the cash and it worked lol

Quote Originally Posted by rx7boi View Post
    Okay so another private G37XS just popped up in Edmonton. There was no phone # on the ad so I messaged him within the hour of the ad going up and I'm certain I was the first cause there were only 2 views when I reached out.

He's in Fort Mac at the moment so he asked to meet next Thursday. I told him I had funds ready to go and to make a deal on the spot pending test drive and a quick look at it. I also mentioned that I messaged him straight away since I wanted to be the first person to look at the vehicle.

I think that's all I can do at the moment. I haven't asked him to take his ad down and I'm sure he's already gotten a couple other messages.

Seller is out at the moment but we'll be chatting on the phone once he gets home from the Raptors game where I can ask him a couple more questions about the car. Feeling optimistic so far.
    Nothing else you can do but wait. I would maybe send another follow up message in a couple days just to show you're serious.
    Went through almost the exact same thing on my last bike, I looked religiously for a solid 4 months and then one morning my unicorn came up(2013 ducati 1199 in white), i messaged the guy immediately but he already had 3 people to show and he was in edmonton. I told him i could be up by the weekend if they no showed but the ad was gone that day. kept checking kijiji and then all of the sudden it came back up about a week later, messaged him again and he said the buyers flaked. We made a verbal deal but we couldnt get our schedules aligned until the week after. I told him i'd give him a $500 deposit to hold it but he said he didnt need it which threw me off, i then asked him to take the ad off and he agreed but he didnt take it off, messaged him to take it off with no reply back for a couple days. He finally replied saying he was super busy and would take it off but again that didnt happen right away. I asked him for his full name for the bill of sale and he said he had one ready so now i was getting pretty worried that something was up. It was about 3 days before i was going up so i told him i needed his address at least to prove he was serious because i was about to book a hotel room and sure enough he wouldnt give it up, he told me he would give it to me when i got to red deer. At this point i was sure he was selling it to another person because i did lowball him. Saturday comes and im feeling pretty sick in the stomach that im going to get fucked but i wanted it so bad so i went. Got to red deer and texted him and no reply for a good 20 minutes which felt like hours lol I got his text and i was totally expecting him to say he sold it but he gave me his address. I was still worried that something was up but when i got there he right away explained that he was super paranoid about kijiji people which i didnt blame him lol
    and I did not have the only say in the matter (most people just want it done ASAP and don't care about quality).
    If anything we made a better decision because we had a consensus and were all on the same page.

My Ride
    (0^oo^0)~

Man that's quite a story haha. Just highlights what Twin_Cam_Turbo said about some people who won't trust anyone no matter what.

So the guy called me this morning as promised and we had a quick chat. The car is from Ontario, he's the second owner who bought it @ 70k km. Has done 3 oil changes and spark plugs, but no record of the rear timing cover gasket change. No rust or leaks as per his testimony. Garaged and winter driven. Says he owns 5 cars in Ontario and 4 cars in Alberta which was an interesting tidbit to hear.

Regardless, I reiterated that I have funds ready and if the car is as described, I just need to take a look at it in person and make the deal.

@got_mike33 Thanks for the offer brother! He's not back in town until next week so I may come up either way just to make a trip out of it. If things line up maybe we can go together.

Since it's fortunate that we have some time before he gets back to town, I asked him for the VIN number so I can do some more due diligence.
    Last edited by rx7boi; 06-14-2019 at 11:52 AM.

My Ride
    Chevy Colorado ZR2

I personally would not even bother if the vehicle does not have a full service record history.

3 oil changes and spark plugs does not paint a good enough picture on how it has been maintained.

It's an Ontario car, that's another red flag. Sounds like he's curbing cars. I won't even waste my time.

BC car, full service records, one owner sounds more pleasing.

Plus, think about when you resell the vehicle, you'd have a hard time without any solid maintenance records and history.

If the guy owns 9 cars he is almost for sure flipping them, which makes it very unlikely this is a sample you want. Just a hunch though.

My Ride
    (0^oo^0)~

That definitely stood out, but I also thought that maybe he had it for 2 years it wasn't quite a flip since he bought it at 70,000km and owned it until 87,000km.

Maybe I can pick it up for 17500 and flip it for 18500

Quote Originally Posted by jaylo View Post
    I personally would not even bother if the vehicle does not have a full service record history.

3 oil changes and spark plugs does not paint a good enough picture on how it has been maintained.

It's an Ontario car, that's another red flag. Sounds like he's curbing cars. I won't even waste my time.

BC car, full service records, one owner sounds more pleasing.
    I dont know much about infinitis but 87k km is a pretty new ride to have extensive service records no? What else do you do to a car that new other then oil changes and spark plugs if that.
    And obviously a one owner bc car with full records sounds more pleasing but beggers cant be choosers when it comes to used cars, if theres a ton of choices i would for sure take a 1 owner bc car over on ontario ride but he probably doesn't have that many options

That definitely stood out, but I also thought that maybe he had it for 2 years it wasn't quite a flip since he bought it at 70,000km and owned it until 87,000km.

Maybe I can pick it up for 17500 and flip it for 18500
    I wouldnt call that a flip car if he owned it for 2 years but its kijiji and there are multiple ways to hussle lol I fuckin hate and love kijiji
    and I did not have the only say in the matter (most people just want it done ASAP and don't care about quality).
    If anything we made a better decision because we had a consensus and were all on the same page.

My Ride
    G37X

Quote Originally Posted by ThePenIsMightier View Post
    It's a VQ37VHR, isn't it? That thing has been in everything in the Nissan family for YEARS.
    What issue are you talking about and why 2011 and not 2014? Want it the same from 2009-2014 or longer?
    It's not hugely prevalent, but the 2008-2011 VQ37VHR had a paper rear oil galley gasket, which was semi prone to failure. In 2012 they moved to a metal gasket which seems to have resolved it. Certainly not to say a 2011 or earlier car is likely to have issues, just a potentially expensive one to keep in mind. Outside that these cars are pretty darn reliable, I've had my 2012 for a little over 4 years and it's needed a wheel bearing and PS pump that were both covered under warranty, as well as a trunk repaint for rust while it was still under warranty for it.

My Ride
    *The First*

So the guy called me this morning as promised and we had a quick chat. The car is from Ontario...
    #ThankYou,Next.
    Consider its corrosion to be advanced by 4 years for every year it spent in Ontario.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

I have an 2002 Civic from Ontario - used as a DD - no rust issues. 250,000 kms now.

My Ride
    (0^oo^0)~

Thanks fellas. I have another exciting prospect lined up for this Friday. It's a local vehicle and it jumped to the top of my list so I contacted the Edmonton guy to let him know right away in case he had someone else that wanted to see it Thursday.

My Ride
    (0^oo^0)~

Well boys, time for an update. As per my last post, I finalized everything and picked up this beauty over the weekend:

2013 G37xS Coupe

Dropped it off with Rainer this morning for a full front Xpel film and ceramic coating. Was a bit stressful driving on Stoney this morning hoping I wouldn't pick up rock chips along the way haha.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Looks awesome!

Congrats
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 LastLast