Manitoba man jailed after killing home intruder - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Manitoba man jailed after killing home intruder

My Ride
    Ford F150

Default Manitoba man jailed after killing home intruder

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manit...cing-1.5165442

tl;dr

Intruder "enters" a residence, stabs the occupant in the head while they're sleeping. Occupant wakes up, fights intruder, and ends up getting a hold of the knife and stabbing the intruder to death. Sentenced to 5 years for manslaughter.

Cases like this are always tough. If someone's trying to kill you (safe assumption when they break into your house and stab you in the head), odds are your adrenaline is pumping and you're not about to stop fighting to assess the current level of danger every half second to be sure you don't overstep your legal rights. You're scared to death and someone is there to kill you. You react.

Maybe this is where I'm far too right wing, but I think breaking into a house and assaulting the occupant is an immediate forfeiture of your right to live.
    I can eat more hot wings than you.

My Ride
    '73 Buick, '03 Ruckus, '18 Tundra

5 years seems very steep for this. But 13 stab wounds and kicking the then dead body does seem excessive.

I also have my doubts how cognitive the home owner was after being stabbed and then removing the knife from his head.

My Ride
    2011 lexus is250 awd

I'm going to have to agree with the OP.
    Canada needs to revise those laws. People can't be afraid to defend themselves if someone breaks into their home armed.
    Why do we want to protect people like that anyways? They're the pond scum of society, I don't think people are going to say something like "Joe passed away when he broke into buddies house and the home owner shot him. He was a good guy".

My Ride
    Jeep of Theseus

Quote Originally Posted by Asian_defender View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't think people are going to say something like "Joe passed away when he broke into buddies house and the home owner shot him. He was a good guy".

And yet, from the article:

They remember their brother as a funny, caring man.

"He was a happy person," said Benn. "He was very funny.… A great guy."

My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)

If someone breaks into your home, let alone tries to kill YOU, you can kill them. Period. Full stop. The fact that is illegal disgusts me.
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-18-2019 at 04:58 PM.

good reason not to talk to the cops when they arrive after you've defended yourself in your home. It's crazy a guy who's on the brink of death gets a 5 yr sentence for defending himself in his home.

I'll point out the obvious here. First nations are treated differently when it comes to trials/court. Just look to gerald Stanley the white farmer who kills a thief in his yard and gets acquitted.

Guess we know who had the better lawyers between the 2.

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

"That's our brother. His life is gone now because of Dakota."

They remember their brother as a funny, caring man.

"He was a happy person," said Benn. "He was very funny.… A great guy."

"He was always outgoing," said Bunn's brother, Nicholas Benn.

Guys, he was a great guy though

My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)

Quote Originally Posted by Disoblige View Post
    Guys, he was a great guy though
    Some may even go so far as to describe him as "chill". Especially now.
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

He should have got drunk and hit the guy with a cement truck, he would have got a slap on the wrist at most.

The fact that you have to wait for the intruder to act first in a freaking home invasion is insane (with or without the head stabbing), but welcome to Canada folks.

My Ride
    This and that.

This is why I don't usually like picking juries unless I feel like I have no other choice. They rarely ever fucking get it right. We recently won a second degree murder case on 'defence of others' argument (like self defence) where our client shot and killed a guy he thought was stabbing his brother with a sword (or something like that). At first look you'd think, knife/sword vs gun can't fall into the ambit of self-defence but that in itself isn't always the case even though usually yes as that would be considered excessive force for the argument of self-defence. But each situation is case specific. The law in general when it comes to self-defence and defence of others area is way too ambiguous and all over the place. I don't know the particulars of this case but terrible that the jury didn't find self-defence when the situation is looked at holistically and on top of that the judge drops a 5 year hammer. Hell, we've had clients get less than that for much worse manslaughters and second degree murders more than a few times.
    Last edited by shakalaka; 06-07-2019 at 02:10 PM.

Time to derail: Anyone else thinks there are gigantic gaps in this story? If you sneak into a house, get the first stab to the head on the other guy in first - and then lose spectacularily…. Well, lets just say that to me this sounds less probable than Buzz landing on the moon.
    0.5 gram microsd delivered by 12,000 pound combustion vehicle and driver.

Quote Originally Posted by ZenOps View Post
    Time to derail: Anyone else thinks there are gigantic gaps in this story? If you sneak into a house, get the first stab to the head on the other guy in first - and then lose spectacularily…. Well, lets just say that to me this sounds less probable than Buzz landing on the moon.
    the guy didnt have money for a good lawyer and hes first nations. That about sums it up. If he was white he would have been a hero like the farmer from Saskatchewan and he would have had $400,000 raised in a go fund me to get the best lawyer possible.

Yeah, the survivor can make any story he/she wants. The dead tell no tales. The more probabilistic scenario is: Two men have a real grudge. One man invites other to his residence and thwacks him and them stabs himself to try and make a "double win" out of it (gets rid of grudge, gets sympathy and maybe a gofund me)

Doesn't work that way in Canada. More often that not if there is only one survivor and one clear death then its jail.

BTW: Khadr was clearly in the right because the US solider specifically travelled thousands of miles (with deadly intent, as he was paid to be.) and simply lost the fight. Noone suggests Khadr lured that specific US soldier to his doorfront. The US soldier got on a plane with his own volition, picked up a gun with his own volition, and pointed it at Khadr - under his own volition.

Yup. I can imagine one of the neighbors might have had a camera with footage showing them both entering at the same time, which would definitely mean - Lured murder, the guy should have got 20 years... Remember criminals, every spot in the city probably has 14 cameras on it.
    Last edited by ZenOps; 06-07-2019 at 03:00 PM.
    0.5 gram microsd delivered by 12,000 pound combustion vehicle and driver.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

There is a lot more going on than simple home defense here:

" found a knife-wielding intruder in his room and — not knowing who the person was — chased him into the hallway."
    Its the chasing and then house fighting combined with 13 stab wounds,. Chasing is not self defense anymore. This has been shown time again in Canada.

Also these two knew each other and had bad history already.

Also, likely that one or both had criminal records.

Also, events on First Nations reserves always have other factors that the average North America person doesent have to deal with - for eg. the assailant had free access the dwelling.

Also, what the fuck does "awoke to a "feeling of being stabbed" in the head" mean? Was he stabbed or not?
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is NOT the case of a family man defending himself at home, against an unknown assailant.

Had the defendent simply shot the knife-wielding intruder in their room immediately, rather than give chase - it would have likely been a non issue as far as the police go.
    Last edited by revelations; 06-07-2019 at 05:22 PM.

guy in okotoks shoots a fleeing thief stealing change and has charges dropped.
    Farmer in sask shoots a kid in the back of the head and has charges dropped.
    First nations man gets stabbed in the head, fights for his life and goes go jail for 5 years for killing the intruder.

Makes you wonder.

My Ride

- Okotoks was a ricochet/warning shot
    - Sask was an accidental discharge (or was it the gun was bumped and fired itself?)
    - FN person CHASES DOWN AND STABS a person he knew, in a common dwelling area.
    Last edited by revelations; 06-07-2019 at 06:17 PM.

My Ride
    6.7 CUMMINS, E50 AMG

There is no reliable evidence to determine when Mr. Pratt had possession of the knife [but] it is certain… that he did become the aggressor and go beyond what was necessary to defend himself," he added
    Because he came into my house and started stabbing me with a kife while I was in bed? Kill that mother fucker because he will do it again.
    Machining, Fabricating, Welding etc.

they didnt live in the same house revelations. You might want to give the article another read. Regardless if the guy goes to jail for attacking someone who was fleeing his home then the same standard should have applied to the guy in okotoks. Ricochet or not he shot at someone fleeing his property.

In sask the kid was shot in the back of the head.....

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by gwill View Post
    they didnt live in the same house revelations. You might want to give the article another read. Regardless if the guy goes to jail for attacking someone who was fleeing his home then the same standard should have applied to the guy in okotoks. Ricochet or not he shot at someone fleeing his property.

In sask the kid was shot in the back of the head.....
    Again, on FN reserve land, many of them have free access to each others homes. Maybe you should read the article:
    he was welcome in the house where the attack occurred, based on testimony by Pratt's mother-in-law, who owned the home.
    There is no expectation of privacy and none is usually given. Having an uninvited neighbour pass out drunk on your couch is perfectly normal. One on-reserve FN home I was in had fucking grass growing inside on the carpet as animals came and went through an open door.

Again, a ricochet from a warning shot (not INTENDING to kill) in Okotoks

Again, an AD means you lacked intention to kill.

----------------------------

In Canada we cannot shoot or stab fleeing intruders. Having said that - there have been cases where a jury has found in favour of the defendant in these instances but these are not typical and can vary based on many factors.
    Last edited by revelations; 06-07-2019 at 06:43 PM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast