Quantcast
44 days for not unlocking iPhone (Florida) - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: 44 days for not unlocking iPhone (Florida)

Default 44 days for not unlocking iPhone (Florida)

https://appleinsider.com/articles/19...warrant-debate

William Montanez should have known.
    Cocoa $12,000 per ton.

My Ride
    Boeing, Airbus

It's crazy.

If there is valid concern over a serious offence that would justify such a warrant (same extent as to what would be required to toss a person's house for evidence, for instance) then I can perhaps support this.

A minor marijuana offence (despite some archaic US laws regarding same) are not adequate justification, IMO.

Orwell's vision is becoming more and more rapidly true...

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Some phones offer a lock code that wipes the entire device back to OEM. If I was involved in anything, even grey - thats what phone I would be using.

My Ride
    Bicycle

It's been known that any border agent of every country can ask for this for like forever. For a company I used to work for, all staff travel on business travel outside of Canada would have to carry a burner laptop that has no local data of any kind, but that was before smart phones days so I'm sure that's not feasible any more.

You think physical device search is bad, wait til you hear about US request on social media access before granting VISA.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/02/u...ial-media.html

As a user of Android device, I have no question that governments (US and partners) has access to my google account and all data stored in it and probably already mapped it to my passport info and risk assessed based on geo location history .
    Last edited by Xtrema; 06-09-2019 at 11:23 AM.

If you have a phone with something incriminating on it, why would it not be very well hidden in the car when getting pulled over is a very real risk?

And for air travel or longer trips, if you're at all worried about this, just wipe your phone before you travel, and do an iCloud restore when you get to your destination.

If you have nothing to hide then it doesn't really matter - I would happily let an officer scroll through my phone if the alternative was 44 days in jail, he can look at work emails, dumb texts and memes for as long as he wants. Anyone with something serious to hide traveling with a 'loaded' phone or with sensitive information on it is an idiot as that is so easily avoided.

Complacency is the harbringer of disaster. Even criminals get lazy, they don't clear their caches at the end of the day, they don't delete messages as they get them, they don't create new accounts every week.
    Cocoa $12,000 per ton.

Quote Originally Posted by ZenOps View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Complacency is the harbringer of disaster. Even criminals get lazy, they don't clear their caches at the end of the day, they don't delete messages as they get them, they don't create new accounts every week.
    100% their fault then, in my opinion. If you're a lazy criminal, you deserve to get caught. They probably aren't very smart in the first place if they have chosen a life of crime haha.

Sure but. Security is supposed to be for the lazy and the fully aware. Noone can stay awake all the time, not criminals, not CEO's looking to keep the secret recipe of KFC.
    Cocoa $12,000 per ton.

The 'Wipe after XX unsuccessful login attempts' is a standard feature on iPhone, and I'm sure android devices as well.

It requires a measure of forethought, but keeping privacy intact isn't an insurmountable task. Backup your device before you travel, keep data stored at home, travel with fresh device. Don't need any random agent creeping your shit, whether or not you have stuff to hide.

As for social media//VISA considerations - just get rid of it. Aside the odd forum post on beyond, I haven't had any sort of social media for years. Don't need it, don't miss it, the world would be better off with mass social media abandonment.