132 76.30%
  • No

30 17.34%
  • I have that 'friend'

11 6.36%
Page 1 of 9 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Costco - do you?

Default Costco - do you?

Yeah, there's a similar thread some 11 years old but in that timespan a lot of Beyond members lives have changed - they've gotten married, maybe had kids, sprouted some grey hair, put on some chub, etc, etc.

So Costco, do you have a membership or not or do you go with a 'friend'?

We do not, haven't had one in 10+ years. As such I can not comment on shopping at a Costco including the experience, the prices and the quantities one has to buy. It also never crosses our minds to utilize that 'friend' as it's been so much not a part of our life.
    Will fuck off, again.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

We had a membership for a year, but spent so much on impulse purchases. Had "the friend" for a while too, but they have let thiers expire too.
    They have some great seasonal items, and if you are disciplined, you could save money, but the psychology of that place is amazing, which is why it's suck a profitable company.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

We go weekly, and by 'we' I mean my wife, because I can't stand going in there. Too much of a zoo. I will run in myself once in awhile for a big ticket item, mid-week when its "quiet".

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

I don’t have one and don’t have a friend.

My Ride
    79 Country Squire 95 Deville 09 Jeep JK

Have the Capital One Mastercard with my Costco ID on it. Almost always go there for gas esp. premium which is usually quite cheaper than anyone else in the SE (although lately the competition have either tightened up or Costco has raised prices).
    The key to Costco is don't grab a cart- just bring in a cloth shopping bag or two and limit yourself to what fits in the bag(s).

My Ride
    V8s

I voted friend, but we just get my parents or my wife's parents to buy specific things. Got our tv there, get our dog food, Tp and paper towel. That's about it.

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

I voted friend.

He gave me one of his old cards, i use it primarily for gas. However, they never check the photo on it, and about once a year we go in and make a purchase, usually something like a winter jacket.

It is a win/win though. He gets the credit for the gas purchases, and we get discounted gas. Go early in the morning, and there is virtually no lineups.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Quote Originally Posted by ianmcc View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The key to Costco is don't grab a cart- just bring in a cloth shopping bag or two and limit yourself to what fits in the bag(s).
    I check cocowest.ca on Tuesday, make a list of items on sale that I want or need, run in and grab only that (and anything on my shopping list), and go. No browsing for me. Just in and out.

I also only tend to go like 30 minutes before closing during the week or drive a little further to East Hills cause it's noticeably fewer people.

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Quote Originally Posted by spikerS View Post
    However, they never check the photo on it
    That's funny cause my Mastercard was sent to me with no picture on it. I always used it as-is and 9 times out of 10 they'd ask me for picture ID. Finally I got annoyed enough that I had my picture printed on it.

THIS they were okay with and I've never been bothered since.

Name:  IMG_20190615_092320.jpg
Views: 1212
Size:  29.7 KB

Thaco is offline sucks off little boys (ya, don't fuck with rage2 bitch!!!)
    My Ride
    Rage2

My wife has the second card from her parents membership since my mother in law never goes alone anyway, They have the premium one or whatever it is that they get cash back, we go there almost weekly so it definitely pays for its self
    User title molested by Rage2.

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    It's not the size that matters, it's the taste it leaves in your mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

Quote Originally Posted by Misterman View Post
    No logic, thought, input, etc from cult member...

I only shop at Costco, but I try to go mid week around 6:30ish and I don’t have any issues. Family of 4.

My Ride
    Ford F150

I buy the majority of my meats there. I track prices at other shops, and I check the RFD thread for Costco West. When a meat I eat goes on sale, I compare, and then go buy in bulk if it's a good savings.

4 hours of vacuum sealing on a weekend is less than fun of course.

We got some other occasional items, but we try to keep it to a minimum as it encourages over consumption of both food and random crap.

Family of two, i spend enough for a free executive membership each year.
    I can eat more hot wings than you.

My Ride
    (0^oo^0)~

We have a Costco membership and use it fairly frequently. Definitely for staples like chicken breast, dairy, and toiletries. Their meat lasagna is amazing so we splurge on that from time to time.

IMO their snacks are expensive since they're in bulk. It's just my wife and I so don't really need to buy a 36 pack of chocolate granola bars haha.

Other than that, we've picked up awesome stuff like BBQ covers for 20 bucks or some work shop lighting. Grabbed our M65 Vizio last holiday. She gets gas from there too so overall the Executive Membership works out for us.

Vote Costco for President

My Ride
    ute

Costco is amazing. Been an exec member for years. Costco has the buying power to buy bulk on the cheap...but they also have the buying power to get the best quality of stuff. Their chicken breasts for instance are the best out there. It's one of the reasons that Costco has a high income customer base.

You need to find the place where they can capture the quality tho. Their pre-made deli meals are generally excellent and worth going just for those often. Someone mentioned the lasagna, but the new tacos there are great. The meat pies, etc.

Basically if it doesn't exist on Amazon or at Costco, I don't buy it.

A semi-detached home from 89Coupe (hahahaha)
    My Ride
    A Gallardo from SDS (hahahaha)

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    Costco is amazing. Been an exec member for years. Costco has the buying power to buy bulk on the cheap...but they also have the buying power to get the best quality of stuff. Their chicken breasts for instance are the best out there. It's one of the reasons that Costco has a high income customer base.

You need to find the place where they can capture the quality tho. Their pre-made deli meals are generally excellent and worth going just for those often. Someone mentioned the lasagna, but the new tacos there are great. The meat pies, etc.

Basically if it doesn't exist on Amazon or at Costco, I don't buy it.
    There was an excellent feature on CNBC a few years ago about Costco. As you mentioned, because of the demographics and buying patterns of their shoppers (high income; high volume), Costco is considered a "grail" retailer - vendors are constantly lining up and applying to get their products on those shelves. As such, Costco is very selective about what products it carries and it shows - I cannot think of a single product I've ever bought that didn't meet expectations. And on the rare occasion something goes wrong, their return policy is unbeatable.

I caught another story recently that also said Costco has fixed or maximum margins (I don't remember the exact figure, but it was something silly-low, like 5%). So, between their huge buying power and lower-than-most-think-reasonable margins, the prices are usually unbeatable.

So, between all of that, and having 4 kids, we're huge Costco fans.

Many of their dress shirts are poor quality.

I've had the odd terrible food item - they had the most atrocious green beans for a while. Curiously that brand lasted longer than I would've thought.

But on the whole it's good.

I buy a fair bit of food there. I try to avoid other impulse buys. Its also a good place for kids presents, Lego, books, etc.
    I usually go a few times a month on a weekday morning when I am off work. Grab a 1/2 tank of gas and whatever chicken cut they have on sale that week. There are a few other staples I buy regularly as well like bulk mixed nuts.

Recently bought a weed puller that broke within the first 10 minutes of use. Easily returned the next week.

My Ride
    ute

I've never bought clothes at Costco. It's where formerly "cool" brands go in one last flameout with suburban mom's. I'm looking at you Seven jeans and Bench.

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    Costco is amazing. Been an exec member for years.
    I've been a member since the time there was only the 1 store near Sunridge mall. Fuck I'm old.

Most our food gets purchased there. Premium fuel is a toss up depending on if the Superstore close by is trying to compete with 7 cents off with the PC credit card. Bought my TV there this time around.

I honestly wish they would raise the membership fee so that it would deter more people. too many people there on weekends. We always get at least our Exec membership back each year.

If Costco carries it, I'll buy it from them even if it is more expensive because I know if I have an issue, they will take it back. I bought a PS3 from them for $600 and it died 3 months after the warranty. Sony wouldn't do anything for me. Costco took it back. They refused, adamantly refused to let me exchange it for a new one. They gave me a refund for the $600 and then made me purchase a new PS3 slim for $400. I was annoyed that they wouldn't simply exchange it. They basically paid me to use the PS3.

People obviously abused that enough for them to change their electronics return policy.

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Their tire service is pretty awesome too if you buy the tires from them. Patching, re-balancing, rotations all free for the life of the tire.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 ... LastLast