Quantcast
"Slow Down" Standing Signs in Residential Neighbourhoods - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: "Slow Down" Standing Signs in Residential Neighbourhoods

Default "Slow Down" Standing Signs in Residential Neighbourhoods

Long story short Trio of Helicopter Moms have put out the lovely Slow Down signs about 8 ft from their houses (they live on a bend so it isn't in the middle of the road as 8 ft would imply but still a nuisance). What is the legality behind this? I'm having trouble finding the bylaws with respect to signage on roads etc etc.

Is it really that big a deal.. no. Have the helicopter moms been absolutely a nightmare.. yes.

My Ride
    '73 Buick, '03 Ruckus, '18 Tundra

100% their BS sign cannot be on the road, at all. I went through this in Cranston (soccer mom capital of Calgary)

They can have it on their grass or driveway but that's it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ca_Silvia13 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    100% their BS sign cannot be on the road, at all. I went through this in Cranston (soccer mom capital of Calgary)

They can have it on their grass or driveway but that's it.
    Great to hear, on the flip side is there even anything you can really do about it?

My Ride

Practice chirping them? In my experience they were super entitled so when you chirp back with laws and facts it's a win win.

But seriously call Bylaw to come out and visit/set them straight.

Thaco is offline sucks off little boys (ya, don't fuck with rage2 bitch!!!)
    My Ride
    Rage2

you could probably call 311 as its debris on the road they'll come clean it up
    User title molested by Rage2.

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    It's not the size that matters, it's the taste it leaves in your mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

Quote Originally Posted by Misterman View Post
    No logic, thought, input, etc from cult member...

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Drive over it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ca_Silvia13 View Post
    Practice chirping them? In my experience they were super entitled so when you chirp back with laws and facts it's a win win.

But seriously call Bylaw to come out and visit/set them straight.
    I just avoid the conversations with them as the speed limit in their mind I was told is 10km/hr in front of their houses. I've also had the aggressive husband thrown at me so I just don't bother.

When I was 16/17 had access to a Durango quite a bit, we lived at the top of a cul de sac in Mckenzie. They used to put them just barely wide enough for the SUV to get through the entrance to the street with the intention to slow anyone entering down. Definitely destroyed 2 sets of them, had some pleasantries exchanged, they asked me to pay for them. Verdict was pound sand, they are not allowed to be on the street.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Can't stand entitled helicopter parents that can do no wrong. Other day after I got my car lowered, had cruise control set to 60 in a 60 zone in sport mode, so the car's farting here and there. Fucking dad stopped beside me at the light, yelled at me through the window, freaked my kids out then drove off. Told me the speed limit's 60 lol. Thanks tips.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Can't stand entitled helicopter parents that can do no wrong. Other day after I got my car lowered, had cruise control set to 60 in a 60 zone in sport mode, so the car's farting here and there. Fucking dad stopped beside me at the light, yelled at me through the window, freaked my kids out then drove off. Told me the speed limit's 60 lol. Thanks tips.
    haha yup, I got a double middle finger taking the turn in front of their house from the helicopter wife and then when I turned around to asked what the problem was she ran inside and her husband told anything me anything over 10km/hr in a residential is too fast. Also denied that his wife did any wrong doing. Now I have those stupid signs in the middle of the effin road lol.

Funny I was driving through Auburn Bay the other day and saw these EVERYWHERE. I couldn't believe how many people had them out. Nothing makes me want to speed up more than a soccer mom taking the rules of the road into their own hands.

Here's a thought - be a parent to your damn child and don't let them play in the middle of the street.

Had a similar thing happen to me, but in a school zone....after 9PM. Car was doing 25 Km/h so I naturally came up on them quite quickly because they were doing less than half the speed limit. These 2 ladies pulled over, got out, yelling and giving me the finger, I just pointed at my watch and kept driving.

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

Good to know they aren’t allowed on the road, I won’t feel bad if I accidentally run some over now.

I’ve had people yell at me for doing 35km/h on non signed residential roads before so I make a point of letting them know I’ll do 50km/h to spite them in the future.

Glad to know i'm not alone in this lol. The only difference is all three of them live 5 houses down so I have to deal with this for a long time lol

My Ride
    changes every year

To add to this, I live on a very short straight away to a stop sign. All the douches in the 2007 ram 3500s from the other side of the street come barreling down the road constantly.

Ok, so residential is 50(they are going much faster than that alot of times) but in an area with alot of kids, I feel like 30 is a reasonable speed limit.

No posted speed limit signs in my area, so it's not enforced, but really, aside from yelling and shaking my fist, what else can be done?

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

Haven’t seen these signs in our neighborhood yet but based on the Facebook group comments I’m sure they’ll be here in no time.

People want speed bumps added to our main collector road to slow people down. Lol

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by Twin_Cam_Turbo View Post
    Good to know they aren’t allowed on the road, I won’t feel bad if I accidentally run some over now.

I’ve had people yell at me for doing 35km/h on non signed residential roads before so I make a point of letting them know I’ll do 50km/h to spite them in the future.
    This is a lot of the arguments i have had because my cars are on the loud side. Simply asking to see the helicopter mom's radar gun usually takes whatever argument they have out the window. When they get snooty saying they are going to call the cops, i encourage it.

My Ride
    Silverado

idiots on both sides of this argument are going to be the reason we end up with 30 kph on residential roads.

My Ride
    (0^oo^0)~

There's a family living in my area that has these stupid fucking signs too. This idiot puts it out on the road about a meter off the sidewalk which bugs me a bit, but not enough to do anything about it but it really irks me when he doesn't move it back inside and his kids are nowhere in sight.

I've wanted to drive over that sign multiple times and have considered calling 311.

I just don't want to be "that guy" since his place is pretty much the first house coming into the circle so it's a high traffic area for sure.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by 03ozwhip View Post
    To add to this, I live on a very short straight away to a stop sign. All the douches in the 2007 ram 3500s from the other side of the street come barreling down the road constantly.

Ok, so residential is 50(they are going much faster than that alot of times) but in an area with alot of kids, I feel like 30 is a reasonable speed limit.

No posted speed limit signs in my area, so it's not enforced, but really, aside from yelling and shaking my fist, what else can be done?
    Try putting up Slow Down signs 8ft from your house. I heard that works.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Quote Originally Posted by 03ozwhip View Post

Nothing can or should be done because they aren't breaking any laws. Drivers should not be inconvenienced so parents can be lazy. Maybe their parents could not let their kids play in the street, or go outside with them and keep an eye on them? Maybe during times of the day with heavier traffic, play in the back yard. Kids in the area don't change the speed limit, it simply requires parents to do their job. There are houses very close to major roads in the city with kids living in them, imagine if people had to slow down because of it.

If vehicles are speeding significantly (above 50) then I am not sure what you can really do either other than constantly complain to the appropriate authority and maybe they will set up a speed trap one day.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast