Quantcast
How much did you spend on a engagement ring? - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

View Poll Results: How much did you spend on an engagement ring?

Voters
128. You may not vote on this poll
  • <5k

54 42.19%
  • 5-10k

33 25.78%
  • 10-20k

26 20.31%
  • 20-30k

6 4.69%
  • >30k

9 7.03%
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: How much did you spend on a engagement ring?

My Ride
    TDi

Yikes, sounds like I spent too much haha. tbh I spent what I was comfortable with
    GO FLAMES GO!

My Ride
    LNF

I spent a lot of time researching diamonds (cut, clarity, color etc) and how to choose one. I think this really helped me overall when it came to choosing a diamond that looked very nice without spending a huge fortune.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Significantly less than $5k, though to be fair, it was still 2x my gross monthly salary at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by 403ep3 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yikes, sounds like I spent too much haha. tbh I spent what I was comfortable with
    You got married? Congrats fella!

My Ride
    This and that.

I didn't have a budget..pretty much whatever the wifey wanted. That being said, she's far from a person that likes to spend $ on jewelry so what she selected ended up being very reasonable in my books. Considering I spend $10K+ on things like watches I was fully ready to spend a double of that or something along the lines but it didn't even end up being $10K. Funny enough, that was 4 years ago and I've since asked her multiple times if she wants to upgrade to something more substantial and she says she doesn't need it or want it. Gotta love a woman like that!

My Ride
    GMC Sierra

I spent just under 4k, more than I'd like to spend, I think the money is better spent on a vacation or something similar, but she likes it and it looks nice. I actually enjoyed the buying process through Bluenile, comparing different reports and sizes and choosing your own rock.

I spent way too much, more then my car is worth, and worked out to about a month gross salary. I definitely took the stance that I wanted her to have the best and biggest ring out of all her close friends (I know, retarded) and unfortunately her friends husbands have deep pockets. Very shallow way to do things but the fiancé is extremely happy and gets comments on it every time she wears it.

My Ride
    18 Model S, 20 Macan S, 67 Camaro & 11 SLS

Spend what you are comfortable with, don't break the bank. If it's that important to her that you drop big money on a ring, then save the money and ditch the girl.

My Ride
    toyota MR2

3 Weeks pretax salary here. 1 Carat is around the size I think looks pretty good. So thats what we did.
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    Defender, Allroad

One thing I will say is that I did the research like you guys all did, and got top tier cut, colour and clarity and "sacrificed" on size. Looking back, I should have got an industrial diamond that is made for grinding wheels! Other than style, most people only care about size. If I wasn't so picky about having a flawless diamond, I could have easily double the size or more.

Quote Originally Posted by npham View Post
    One thing I will say is that I did the research like you guys all did, and got top tier cut, colour and clarity and "sacrificed" on size. Looking back, I should have got an industrial diamond that is made for grinding wheels! Other than style, most people only care about size. If I wasn't so picky about having a flawless diamond, I could have easily double the size or more.
    You did the right thing. I see rings with 2 carat+ rocks that have no shine and laugh to myself as it looks so horribly bad and you know all the guy/girl cared about was size and nothing else. Anyone that sees it knows it’s a cheap diamond and they don’t even look good.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Quote Originally Posted by npham View Post
    So long as the colour is good. My wife's friend got a huge rock that was noticeably yellow because her fiance cheaped out on the specs and went for size.

Hoo boy, that was over 30 years ago. Funny thing is she hasn't worn hers for over 10 years because she lost so much weight and we just haven't bothered to get them resized. Mine, squished it horribly some 5+ years ago, don't even know how I didn't notice it was being squished while it was on my finger, haven't bothered to have it fixed either. Certainly didn't spend no 5 figures on her ring but we did get a very good main diamond, dull diamonds just don't cut it.
    Will fuck off, again.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

For my ring, I spent $90 on the original. Lost it in cold lake water somewhere, the replcaement was $10 or less from amazon. For a daily-wear mans ring, I can't see the point in anything expensive. I bent my engineers steel ring pretty fast doing house repairs. Now it's oval, but still fits okay.

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

Firstly, congrats.

Second, if your woman has expensive tastes, remember that probably won't change throughout.

I spent 4k. My wife is petite, and a big diamond would have looked pretty gaudy imo anyway.

My wife doesn’t like to be flashy and she wanted a small diamond so she could wear it at work, we went with a smaller but higher end color and clarity, cost around 4K purchased from Birks. Her work policy changed and they were no longer allowed to wear rings, so last year I upgraded her ring as a surprise. The price of the second ring was more than double her first ring but store has a trade up program so I did that. She didn’t want to do it at first until she saw that it was the exact ring just a bigger stone.

I also wanted to mention those fuckers at Birks guilt tripped me to doing the trade up, I was looking for a watch for myself they started telling me about the trade up and boom I left with a new ring and no watch.

My Ride
    Bikes.Car.Truck

I just proposed to my gf a week ago and recently went thru the engagement ring process.

She had told me what she was interested in. Showed me pics of what she wanted. So I knew going in what she was looking for. I already knew her ring size.

So armed with all the info, I went to every jeweler in Red Deer. I kind of figured I'd be spending between 10k and 15k. I was comfortable with that.

Peoples, Paris, Ben Moss all sucked. I wasn't impressed. I ended up going to a family run jeweler recommended to me by a co-worker. They knew their shit and had the exact style of ring I was looking for. I just wanted the diamonds a bit bigger. So they custom designed a new one and shipped the diamonds in. They were loose stones and I had to go in and check them before they mounted them.

Whole process took about a month. I paid a total of $11,025.

Fiancee loves it. Exactly what she was looking for.
    Looking around
    Wondering what became
    Of what I once knew

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

"engagement ring" is pure marketing BS that both wife and I laughed at. You're getting married, you can then get rings for that purpose.

We both got cheap rings and spent the money on a home and renovations instead. The number of non-rich people that get into debt issues even before the wedding, is bizarre.

Jewelers deserve fuck all - unless of course you are rich and can piss money away like that.

My Ride
    F10M/F87/NA2/W220/V90/E46ZHP/SE3P/DC2

Quote Originally Posted by D'z Nutz View Post
    from this threaed. imo this is the right answer:

Quote Originally Posted by RX_EVOLV View Post
    I based my purchasing decision on the average size of her friends' rings. Ultimately she's going to be showing it to everyone and I want it to be at least comparable to everyone else's.

My Ride
    Faux X 4 Mall Crawler

$45 on a ring made by a local artist in the town her parents live in BC, using a lake stone that matches her favourite necklace. We are getting married in Hawaii with friends and family thanks to the savings on purchase cost. She’s a keeper as she couldn’t be happier with the choice.
    Last edited by finboy; 06-19-2019 at 01:52 AM.
    sig deleted by moderator, because they are useless

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast