Quantcast
How much did you spend on a engagement ring? - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

View Poll Results: How much did you spend on an engagement ring?

Voters
128. You may not vote on this poll
  • <5k

54 42.19%
  • 5-10k

33 25.78%
  • 10-20k

26 20.31%
  • 20-30k

6 4.69%
  • >30k

9 7.03%
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: How much did you spend on a engagement ring?

Quote Originally Posted by 88CRX View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I did not spend much as that’s not her style at all but I’m sorry those man made ‘diamonds’ are silly. Might as well get a cubic zirconium
    What's "silly" about speeding up the natural process of the earth? It's no more silly than spending more money for the same over inflated piece of coal just because it got dug out of the ground instead.

The irony of CZ is that the way you can tell it's fake, is because it is TOO perfect. "Hey this thing is bigger, brighter, better color, and nicer in every way than this other diamond. Definitely don't want that, it's a fake" At least with a CZ you only pay it's true value. A real diamond is worth about the same, but costs 8000% more because marketing.

As for OP. It's an unfortunate societal expectation that we have to spend money on these things. But since we have to, might as well get the best price and value. So whatever your budget is, go to bluenile.ca You won't get cheaper anywhere else. Prices jump up quite a bit as soon as it is above 1.0 carats. Getting a .96 carat will save money, and nobody would know the difference.

I can't believe there is guys that bring their girl ring shopping. It's good to get a barometer for what cut and style she likes, but no way does she ever need to know what you spend on a ring.

Quote Originally Posted by mzdspd View Post
    I spent a lot of time researching diamonds (cut, clarity, color etc) and how to choose one. I think this really helped me overall when it came to choosing a diamond that looked very nice without spending a huge fortune.
    Ditto. No sense getting a clarity better than what the human eye can see for imperfections. Her GF's aren't carrying loupes around in their purse to inspect rings under scrutiny. And color just good enough to not see yellow. Staying under that magical 1 carat weight. But splurging a bit on good cut. All things to keep the cost down but still get something that looks great.
    Last edited by Misterman; 06-19-2019 at 07:04 AM.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I'm impressed with the seven guys (so far) that spent >30k. Buncha big swingin dicks in here.

My Ride
    TDi

Brought my wife ring shopping with me and let her design exactly how she wanted. Living with her for 3 years and together for 8 years at the time so there wasn't much to hide as far as asking her the big question. My wife definitely has more expensive taste, but then again, so do I..

Never a bad thing to see Justin @ Gem by Carati.. even to just get some information. Guy's helpful and helped me make my custom ring, which the wife gets a ton of compliments on.
    GO FLAMES GO!

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    I'm impressed with the seven guys (so far) that spent >30k. Buncha big swingin dicks in here.
    Or just really p whipped

My Ride
    2020 Subaru Forester Sport

My wife told me she will kill me if I spend a ton of money on this crap, all she wanted was platinum. This was 11 years ago but just looked up the bluenile order and it was a Princess .47-Carat Diamond set in platinum band and was $1604. A total of $3500 was spent, which included basic platinum wedding bands. I told her that someday in the future I will get her a bigger ring. She works as a nurse and can't wear anything protruding as it would rip the latex gloves, so last year for our 10 year anniversary we went to Gems by Carati and she picked out a new ring which she wears every day matched up to her wedding band. Think it's like 8 or so inset diamonds. She loves it, was only $2200 or so, and she can wear it every day. I was ready to spend a ton more, but that's what she wanted so that's what I spent. Wife doesn't like too many fancy things, she has a few small things like Channel and Louis Vuitton wallets but those were gifts back in Japan (their gift giving culture between co-workers is insane btw), and I bought her a Tory Burch purse once for her birthday because she liked it and I actually liked it too and surprised her with it.

My ex on the other hand...kept telling me that she expected a ring that was $20k.....I always laughed it off back then as this was when I was still a broke University student, well I can tell you I am glad I dodged that bullet. She also wanted a Burberry wallet which I did get her, but it was $$$ for a broke student, should have been my warning sign. Anyways, glad that didn't work out and I found someone who doesn't care about the money. We are still friends and see each other once in a while, and the sucker she got married to did end up spending over $20k on a ring...and that things looks god awful, it's so unproportional for her small hands. When I saw it I laughed on the inside for the poor guy.

My Ride
    This and that.

Quote Originally Posted by eblend View Post

My ex on the other hand...kept telling me that she expected a ring that was $20k.....I always laughed it off back then as this was when I was still a broke University student, well I can tell you I am glad I dodged that bullet. She also wanted a Burberry wallet which I did get her, but it was $$$ for a broke student, should have been my warning sign. Anyways, glad that didn't work out and I found someone who doesn't care about the money. We are still friends and see each other once in a while, and the sucker she got married to did end up spending over $20k on a ring...and that things looks god awful, it's so unproportional for her small hands. When I saw it I laughed on the inside for the poor guy.
    Yup. Had one of those. Repeatedly said she wanted a 3 carat (minimum 2 carat) $50K+ ring. Unfortunately was in love and she was the 'dream' girl so didn't care and would have probably even bought her one. But definitely dodged that bullet. Especially the reason for us splitting up was because she wanted to be with someone who was a doctor instead as they made more $ on average...of course that was never said but wasn't hard to figure out. lol. Hurt like hell at the time but a big time blessing in disguise!
    Last edited by shakalaka; 06-19-2019 at 10:49 AM.

My Ride
    Silverado

I bought in the US while the dollar was at par in 2013. Basically was 60% of the price that was at jewels by Maxime. Not that I would buy anything there after some early experiences

My Ride
    Mazda 3

Quote Originally Posted by Misterman View Post
    What's "silly" about speeding up the natural process of the earth? It's no more silly than spending more money for the same over inflated piece of coal just because it got dug out of the ground instead.

The irony of CZ is that the way you can tell it's fake, is because it is TOO perfect. "Hey this thing is bigger, brighter, better color, and nicer in every way than this other diamond. Definitely don't want that, it's a fake" At least with a CZ you only pay it's true value. A real diamond is worth about the same, but costs 8000% more because marketing.
    "CZ" and lab grown diamonds are not the same thing.

How do you guys determine price? What you paid for it? I know this is how much you spent but had this discussion recently.
    What if you purchased a ring for 10k and ended up seeing a similar ring with similar specs or better for 6k at another store. Does it become a 6k ring and vice versa?
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

Quote Originally Posted by ????? View Post

How do you guys determine price? What you paid for it? I know this is how much you spent but had this discussion recently.
    What if you purchased a ring for 10k and ended up seeing a similar ring with similar specs or better for 6k at another store. Does it become a 6k ring and vice versa?
    They all become worth half the value in no time. The best part of the diamond scam is when they give you the certificate saying the value of your ring is actually 50% more then you paid.

As for OP. It's an unfortunate societal expectation that we have to spend money on these things. But since we have to, might as well get the best price and value. So whatever your budget is, go to bluenile.ca You won't get cheaper anywhere else. Prices jump up quite a bit as soon as it is above 1.0 carats. Getting a .96 carat will save money, and nobody would know the difference.

I can't believe there is guys that bring their girl ring shopping. It's good to get a barometer for what cut and style she likes, but no way does she ever need to know what you spend on a ring.

Ditto. No sense getting a clarity better than what the human eye can see for imperfections. Her GF's aren't carrying loupes around in their purse to inspect rings under scrutiny. And color just good enough to not see yellow. Staying under that magical 1 carat weight. But splurging a bit on good cut. All things to keep the cost down but still get something that looks great.

It’s not certain individuals that are saying a lab grown diamond is worth less, it’s the entirety of Earth’s population. Natural Diamond prices are not going to significantly drop in our lifetime, however, lab grown diamonds are already dropping in price significantly. Whether you agree or disagree that is just facts. Now you can argue the merits of purchasing a natural diamond vs. saving money on a lab grown, however, that does not change that natural diamonds are worth significantly more money both to purchase and on resale.

At the end of the day a big/better quality diamond is a status symbol, that’s it. It’s a woman showing off that either her family has $, or a lot of debt buying that ring. Why do some of us wear $10,000+watches? I’m sure very few guys actually care about the mechanisms and how accurate timing is, they wear it as a status symbol because for practicality reasons a $100 watch can do just as well if a job. Same thing goes with people buying base model luxury cars instead of a Toyota/Honda...some people want the Mercedes/bmw symbol even if there is no significant performance differences in the base models compared to other brands.

My Ride
    ute

Got married when I had no money. Score!

I have helped several friends and coworkers find diamonds/rings now and the biggest thing that stood out to me was how much cheaper it was online from bluenile or similar. I remember going to Alberta Diamond Exchange and they straight up told us they were adding 15-20% to the cost simply because they had a brick and mortar store. Was looking at $9-10K diamonds there and ended up finding a bigger, better, more perfect diamond for $6500 at Blue Nile. The cost difference was quite shocking. Fast forward a few more years a friend of mine was shopping at Spence, and they couldn't even provide detail on the diamond (Depth percentage, etc.) - ended up ordering from bluenile again and saved about $4,000 compared to Spence. Unless a local store can match the online prices (or close enough) there is a ton of money to be saved, at least in my experience. Since diamonds are bought entirely on spec, it makes even more sense to go with an online option. The other thing I've noticed is that all anyone's friends care about is how many carats it is, so you can buy a pretty average diamond in a high carat for quite cheap, and you can't discern it from a more expensive diamond without a 10X loupe and a gemologist degree, so any money spent beyond that is probably going to be pointless for the vast majority of individuals.

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

Is lab grown beef real cow?

I dunno just seems lame buying a lab made diamond. If you don't want a diamond dug up from the earth I get it but the prices that Spence was peddling for a lab diamond was bullshit. Like I said, might as well go CZ if you don't need or want a real diamond.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-18-2019 at 05:13 PM.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

First marriage back in 2001, spent $10k on a ring when I was making $40k/year. Funny enough, bought it off @Justing dad in their original location at Lancaster building. 3 years later in the divorce, ex-wife complained that she could only sell the ring for $3k.

Now, no plans to get engaged or married again. I did buy a ring for my gf for her birthday a few years ago. Spent $5k on a 2 carat black diamond ring. She's a keeper.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Did someone say that they were? Wrong person quoted maybe?

The price you paid is the price you paid, not hard to figure that out. Are you trying to ask how to determine a rings value? Even if you get the cheapest option possible, you still have no value as it's only worth like 30% on the market if you wanted to sell it.

Quote Originally Posted by roopi View Post
    They all become worth half the value in no time. The best part of the diamond scam is when they give you the certificate saying the value of your ring is actually 50% more then you paid.

That's the price you go insure the ring for......................and then "lose" it in a few months.

My Ride
    Chevy Colorado ZR2

Really depends if you're with an asian or non-asian woman that watches a lot of reality TV.

But spend what you can afford, doesn't really matter what kind of rock unless yourself or your gf is picky.

Quote Originally Posted by Type_S1 View Post
    It’s not certain individuals that are saying a lab grown diamond is worth less, it’s the entirety of Earth’s population. Natural Diamond prices are not going to significantly drop in our lifetime, however, lab grown diamonds are already dropping in price significantly. Whether you agree or disagree that is just facts. Now you can argue the merits of purchasing a natural diamond vs. saving money on a lab grown, however, that does not change that natural diamonds are worth significantly more money both to purchase and on resale.
    You didn't mention lab grown diamonds value, you said they were silly. And all I said is they're no more silly than buying some worthless hunk of diamond that got dug out of dirt either. Your dirt dug diamond will be equally worthless on the used market.

As for natural diamonds not dropping in value in our lifetime, I'd say that's a guess at best. Climate conspiracy seems to be the driving factor for how everything gets done nowadays. Seems logical that an industry that uses excessive amounts of energy to achieve the same thing a lab can, will probably start to dwindle.

Quote Originally Posted by 88CRX View Post
    Is lab grown beef real cow?

I dunno just seems lame buying a lab made diamond. If you don't want a diamond dug up from the earth I get it but the prices that Spence was peddling for a lab diamond was bullshit. Like I said, might as well go CZ if you don't need or want a real diamond.
    Lab meat is real meat, not sure I'd say it's a cow?

I couldn't believe what they are trying to peddle these lab diamonds for. If you're going to pay the same price as a dirt dug one, then why not get the dirt dug one that people won't judge you for?

My Ride
    (0^oo^0)~

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    Got married when I had no money. Score!
    It's those bike shorts, I tell you. Those damn bike shorts.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Quote Originally Posted by finboy View Post
    $45 on a ring made by a local artist in the town her parents live in BC, using a lake stone that matches her favourite necklace. We are getting married in Hawaii with friends and family thanks to the savings on purchase cost. She’s a keeper as she couldn’t be happier with the choice.
    Thats almost exactly what we did .... eloped on a quiet north side (oahu) beach at sunset with a small group .... with our (cheap) rings from a local artist.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast