Quantcast
What's a cheap, intriguing US destination to visit? - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: What's a cheap, intriguing US destination to visit?

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Been there twice now to do all the tourist things and generally hang out, and I did not find it expensive. Accommodation, rental car, food, etc. was all on par with most other places I have been in the USA. It was actually one of the cheapest international trips I've ever been on, flight/car/hotel was under $1000 for a week which is similar to Florida pricing. We even got offered an extremely cheap upgrade to a Corvette, which was complete garbage, but fun for the week.
    How is SD cheap if it's the same price as going to Florida?

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

If $1000/wk all in isn't cheap, then what is?

My Ride
    Ford F150

I'm going to Nashville today. I'll report back on how intriguing and cheap it was.
    I can eat more hot wings than you.

Quote Originally Posted by suntan View Post
    How is SD cheap if it's the same price as going to Florida?
    How is under $1000 for good flights, car, and a good hotel not cheap by any definition for a whole week? Florida is one of the cheapest places to go in the USA and SanDiego was the same price, which makes it very cheap. You can't even go an hour away to Banff for a week for under $1000 most times of the year and that is JUST hotel.

I looked at going to Florida again this September, and direct flights to Orlando (WJ), Car, and hotel (2-bedroom fully appointed condo with kitchen at a place I've been before) was $830/pp for a week. International travel doesn't get any cheaper than that really. Hard to believe they are even making money on prices like that.

What international destinations have you been to for a week or more where direct flight/car/good hotel was well under $1000/pp?
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 07-11-2019 at 10:49 AM.

My Ride
    Axis powers

I really enjoyed Yellowstone, also if you get some free space on the roads, it's an awesome driving experience
    Sig nuked by mod.

My Ride
    93 240sx SE, 17 Infiniti Q50S, 2008 Highlander

Compton
    Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

My Ride
    TRD Pro

Quote Originally Posted by CompletelyNumb View Post
    I'm going to Nashville today. I'll report back on how intriguing and cheap it was.
    Please do! My Wife and I are looking to go in the fall. Flight prices are all over right now...

My Ride
    has 3rd party insurance

Quote Originally Posted by dj_rice View Post
    Compton
    I did go to the watts towers in a mini cooper LOL

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

If you are up for an adventure - we spent 2 weeks (for work) sitting around getting paid to swim/seadoo/knee board in Baxter Northern Minnesota while our equipment was stuck in customs.

https://www.google.ca/flights?lite=0...p:2.CAD.132096

We stayed at the rental cabins (fucking pimp) and explored the MANY lakes in the area.

This is the link to the LODGE but you dont have to stay there (they sub out homes in the lakeshore like Airbnb

https://www.grandviewlodge.com

This was early Sept. btw- still very warm (30c).
    Last edited by revelations; 07-11-2019 at 04:09 PM.

My Ride
    6.2 / 690

Bakersfield, CA

My Ride
    Ford F150

Quote Originally Posted by R-Audi View Post
    Please do! My Wife and I are looking to go in the fall. Flight prices are all over right now...

Short term update:

The electric scooter rentals are totally awesome for touring around. Actual Uber rides are not cheap. More expensive than Calgary. Surge pricing is insane.

Food is on par with downtown Calgary prices. Liquor as well. Nowhere near as cheap as the last time I was in Texas for comparison. Great food though. BBQ has been great. Hot chicken is great.

Huge lineups in all the tourist areas. Lots of traffic. I've seen no less than a dozen bachelorette parties doing their rounds at bars.

We're here for a week playing tourist, I'll drop an all in cost when I'm done.

My Ride
    TRD Pro

@CompletelyNumb

Any updates on your trip??

My Ride
    Ford F150

@CompletelyNumb

Any updates on your trip??
    So, based on my numerous trips to other countries spanning over 10 years, Nashville ranks as "not a cheap destination". We could have done it cheaper I'm sure, but that starts to go into the "what can we sacrifice to save money" category.

Tallying it up:

$233 CAD - 13~ Uber trips (car)
    $78 CAD - e-scooter rentals
    $1200 CAD - AirBnB (near Belmont university)
    $660 CAD - flights
    $1600 CAD - Food, drinks, entertainment

So roughly $3800 for 2 people for 1 week.

Food and drink costs were on par with Calgary, much higher on Broadway ($13 USD for a single well highball). Heading down to the south or east Nashville was more affordable, but not my much.

We didn't drink more than 2 drinks each any night that we went out. We ate out every meal (wasted AirBnB kitchen, I know).

For entertainment, we got tickets to the Grand Ole Opry as well as hop on hop off bus tours to see what was out there. Everything else was simply walking into a honky tonk for some music. No cover charges anywhere. Strict ID checking everywhere.

Best BBQ was at Martin's. Best hot chicken was Haddie B's. Broadway has over 60 bars to check out, all with live music. Kid Rock's bar was loud as hell but fun.

Free [or cheap] whiskey, bourbon, and moonshine tastings everywhere. Do them.

Our AirBnB was booked well in advance, and was much cheaper than hotels at the time. However, 1 week before our trip i was alerted that WestJet had cancelled our flights and we needed to rebook, so we went 1 day earlier and grabbed a hotel. At that time I learned there were several hotels much cheaper than my AirBnB on last minute notice. Not sure I'd want to gamble like that however, as the city was fairly busy.

We used e-scooters to get around the majority of the time. $0.15/minute, and it was easy going in my mind. Uber trips were for nights out, or longer trips (like to the Opry).

If i were to go back, I'd probably lower my budget for accommodations and food. Cheap eats like Martins ended up being the best meals. I would also plan out areas I was likely to spend time in and just stay around there. I'd also pass on expensive shows at the Opry and stick to free small shows downtown. Doing all that would likely save me $900 on this trip.

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

Not USA but to compare with above

Went to Quebec City / Montreal 7 days 6 nights (red eye flight to, evening flight back)
    2 people totaled $3500
    $1200 Plane
    $650 Accom - > Cheapo AirBnB's.
    $1250 Eat (ok so we went overboard with the tasting menus... can totally eat for cheaper)
    $360 Transpo (rental car, train, taxi, 4 days of walking only)
    +Misc

My Ride
    TRD Pro

Thanks for the breakdown @CompletelyNumb
    Where were you seeing the cheaper hotels? Any area that would be better to stay in?

My Ride
    Ford F150

Thanks for the breakdown @CompletelyNumb
    Where were you seeing the cheaper hotels? Any area that would be better to stay in?
    Surprisingly I found a few near the Vanderbilt area which is centrally located. All through hotels.com "secret member prices" the week before. We stayed at the Hilton for 1 night cheaper than the airbnb.

Free [or cheap] whiskey, bourbon, and moonshine tastings everywhere. Do them.
    I'm headed down to Nashville in October, where are the free/cheap tastings? At like liquor stores or at bars?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2