Quantcast
"Kids these days" - Page 4 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4

Thread: "Kids these days"

Your income has very little to do with whether you're broke or not. Statistically speaking, teachers are just as broke on average as everyone else. Debt up to their eyeballs.

Maybe this can spin into an income thread now. 100k isn't great, certainly not "set for life". But coupling it with 9 weeks vacation makes it sound like a decent compromise.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Is that so? I would love to see your statistics on how teachers in alberta are “just as broke as everyone else”. And even if they are, they are broke with a far higher quality of life than average.

That still sounds like winning to me.

Even if they just pass on their own life experience, and teach all the kids in “calm” or whatever to become teachers. That’s putting them way further up the rung than “average”.

I swear people have a very skewed little bubble world where they have no idea what “average” is in this city. I have lots of friends who would consider landing a 100k a year job with 9 weeks vacation to be “set for life”. It’s all about perspective.
    Last edited by killramos; 06-24-2019 at 07:49 AM.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I have always been really impressed with the care and effort that most teachers put in. Only met one what was clearly coasting.

Also, hilarious, look at the related threads . . . .
    Name:  Kids These Days.PNG
Views: 287
Size:  10.6 KB

My Ride
    Silverado

Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    Just in the context of “broke ass teachers” that’s painting with a pretty large brush in Alberta.

My wife and her friends all get paid tons to teach. They are living it up.

Lol
    He must be conditioned to believe what the unions spew.

Is that so? I would love to see your statistics on how teachers in alberta are “just as broke as everyone else”. And even if they are, they are broke with a far higher quality of life than average.

That still sounds like winning to me.

Even if they just pass on their own life experience, and teach all the kids in “calm” or whatever to become teachers. That’s putting them way further up the rung than “average”.

I swear people have a very skewed little bubble world where they have no idea what “average” is in this city. I have lots of friends who would consider landing a 100k a year job with 9 weeks vacation to be “set for life”. It’s all about perspective.
    Here is a start

https://www.bankofcanada.ca/2018/05/...g-the-problem/

If you haven't heard of the growing debt issues in this country you must be living under a rock.

And how do you figure that if teachers pass on information for kids to get education for jobs that don't exist, that the kids will benefit? That's actually what the entire education system seems to be geared around already which is a big part of the issue.

Yes perspective is important. If you only ever made 40k/yr, then it would seem like 100k is a big deal. But in reality, the guy making 100k just has a few more square feet in his house, a little nicer vehicle, and goes to 4 star resorts for vacation instead of 2 star. But he still grinds away paycheck to paycheck like everybody else, and holds a lot more debt generally speaking.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by Misterman View Post
    100k isn't great, certainly not "set for life". But coupling it with 9 weeks vacation makes it sound like a decent compromise.
    Yes perspective is important. If you only ever made 40k/yr, then it would seem like 100k is a big deal. But in reality, the guy making 100k just has a few more square feet in his house, a little nicer vehicle, and goes to 4 star resorts for vacation instead of 2 star. But he still grinds away paycheck to paycheck like everybody else, and holds a lot more debt generally speaking.
    TIL 100k isn't a great income for a single person because we live beyond our means. That's the most millennial argument I've heard this year.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Here is a start

https://www.bankofcanada.ca/2018/05/...g-the-problem/

If you haven't heard of the growing debt issues in this country you must be living under a rock.

And how do you figure that if teachers pass on information for kids to get education for jobs that don't exist, that the kids will benefit? That's actually what the entire education system seems to be geared around already which is a big part of the issue.

I’ll try and use smaller words:

This time. Try backing up your actual statement of “teachers are just as broke as everyone else” rather than pointing to generic statements about Canadian debt levels.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

Teachers are a large enough group that normal distribution can't be avoided.

So yeah they're probably just as broke as the "average" Canadian.

So Misterman got his point right by accident.

I’ll try and use smaller words:

This time. Try backing up your actual statement of “teachers are just as broke as everyone else” rather than pointing to generic statements about Canadian debt levels.
    If you have some sort of inside information on how teachers magically don't follow the statistical norms of all other Canadians I'm all ears.

Quote Originally Posted by suntan View Post
    Teachers are a large enough group that normal distribution can't be avoided.

So yeah they're probably just as broke as the "average" Canadian.

So Misterman got his point right by accident.
    It's an accident that that is exactly what I said?

Them being teachers is irrelevant. It's simply because it's a large random group of people.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-18-2019 at 05:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by suntan View Post
    Them being teachers is irrelevant. It's simply because it's a large random group of people.
    Yes exactly. Thanks for reiterating.

My Ride
    (0^oo^0)~

Haven't read through the entire thread but I can say it's not necessarily how much you make but how much you keep. Only way to get ahead is to live off less than what you make but some people can't even seem to grasp this principle.

Misterman is technically correct in that no one is immune to poor spending habits including teachers which admittedly is a strange sample to make an example out of.

killramos is saying is that they can afford more to begin with. IMO the difference is that with a bigger shovel (income) you can get out of debt quicker and also build wealth quicker when/if you commit to it.

I think you both made some correct points. There's no shortage of people who were making mid 6-figures and basically went broke when O&G went tits up in Alberta because they spent every dollar they made.

I don't bother thinking about whether someone's well off based on what I see. You'll never know unless you look at their books in detail. If anything, I've learned from that wealth doesn't always show itself in the ways you think it does.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4