Quantcast
City finally puts an effort to curb street racing - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: City finally puts an effort to curb street racing

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Default City finally puts an effort to curb street racing

https://www.660citynews.com/2019/06/...ing-operation/

Pretty hilarious to see Barlow grow to the massive size that it is today since Race City closed down. Surprised it took this long to try and clean the area up. Heard from people that still go there that they've added a bunch of concrete barriers, and ticketing everything possible. If you have tinted windows, don't drive by.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Calgary police are several weeks into Operation Roadhammer, an initiative aimed at stopping illegal street racing and found it’s generally happening on the weekend in the southeast, and those involved are often young and inexperienced.
    It's too bad those young, inexperienced racers don't have somewhere legit to go and learn off the streets. Oh wait, we had one until the CoC shut it down.

Meanwhile the article below it is about "safe consumption sites"... how about one for racing?

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

It was nice to hear cops taking about Race City shutting down that caused this on the radio this morning.
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Some of the stories posted on reddit made it sound like most of the trouble makers (eg. peeling out in parking lot) were 17 year old kids in their parents vehicles - so, probably not the ones you would have seen in Race City ....

Also, if there were 'unsafe speeds' being driven - why not just stick up a couple of speed cameras in the common areas and then move them around?

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by revelations View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Some of the stories posted on reddit made it sound like most of the trouble makers (eg. peeling out in parking lot) were 17 year old kids in their parents vehicles - so, probably not the ones you would have seen in Race City ....

Also, if there were 'unsafe speeds' being driven - why not just stick up a couple of speed cameras in the common areas and then move them around?
    Cops were doing both. They're nailing cars outside of Timmy's in the racing areas, and they were ticketing everything imaginable in the lot to disperse the crowd.

You must've forgotten about Secret Street, there were so many 17 y/o's in parents cars there with permission slips to run the 1/4 haha.

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

I used to hang there most weekends the past 2-3 years and it was just getting ridiculously out of hand in so many ways. Fights, insanely loud music, garbage everywhere, dilapidated unsafe vehicles travelling at high speed in crowded areas, people stunting, drugs, Jeep people having fires fight in the middle of the parking lot on the pavement. This place really did need to be cleaned up. There was zero respect for the land, for other people or for the law.

I’ve never even been to where they race but I’ve heard all sorts of shit from that side too.

My Ride
    2011 Chrarger, 2018 F150

I thought Barlow was shut down years ago but last year I was coming home from after visiting family and wanted a coffee. Drove up to the Tims on barlow and seen all of these vehicles revving engines and the odd one doing a burnout. My car has a few mods but it seemed a lot of teenagers (you could tell which ones drove their parents cars) and a few folks near the back that looked like they were in their 50's. Grabbed my coffee and laughed at a punk trying to do a burnout but launched his car instead. Glad I made it out of there.

While I don't street race, I thought the whole point of street racing was to pick random spots to do racing so you can avoid the cops?

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-18-2019 at 05:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Twin_Cam_Turbo View Post
    There was zero respect for the land, for other people or for the law.
    That's certainly the impression i get on Monday morning. Pull in there for a coffee or lunch and there's tire marks everywhere, chunks of rubber and wire, but the annoying thing is the property damage caused. It's tearing up the asphalt pretty badly. The concrete barriers they put in cut the parking lot space in half, which really sucks if you've got a work van or something and just want to get in there to buy some food...
    dv/dt

My Ride
    2011 Chrarger, 2018 F150

I am waiting for some trucks to arrive with chains and move the concrete blocks around.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by Sugarphreak View Post
    There is 1000 to 2000 cars a night? Wow... I mean if this isn't just made up propaganda garbage, that is pretty crazy
    I don't doubt those numbers. I drove by a couple of years ago and it was fucking massive how many people were there.

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Quote Originally Posted by zieg View Post
    That's certainly the impression i get on Monday morning. Pull in there for a coffee or lunch and there's tire marks everywhere, chunks of rubber and wire, but the annoying thing is the property damage caused. It's tearing up the asphalt pretty badly.
    Sounds like a buster kept someone out of handcuffs.

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

Quote Originally Posted by Homerrca View Post
    I am waiting for some trucks to arrive with chains and move the concrete blocks around.
    This happened on day one.

My Ride
    V167

My Ride
    LNF

Quote Originally Posted by nismodrifter View Post
    "Codey Knudsen poses with his GMC truck, which he thinks has about 500 horsepower. But in the absence of somewhere legal to race it, he's not sure just how fast it really is."

Who writes this stuff

When I had that stupid modded Subie I went down to Tim's on 61st one Saturday night, I have never in my life seen more idiotic and disrespectful behavior and such an overall pathetic scene I swear that night set the ball in motion for me to give up the modded vehicle crap and paved the way to experiencing the freedom to not let a vehicle full of overpriced parts define me.

Said it before, "motor" and "sport" don't belong in the same sentence.

Quote Originally Posted by heavyfuel View Post
    When I had that stupid modded Subie I went down to Tim's on 61st one Saturday night, I have never in my life seen more idiotic and disrespectful behavior and such an overall pathetic scene I swear that night set the ball in motion for me to give up the modded vehicle crap and paved the way to experiencing the freedom to not let a vehicle full of overpriced parts define me.

Said it before, "motor" and "sport" don't belong in the same sentence.

Motorsports can still be a great time. You just have to go where there is actual motorsports going on, and not a bunch of teenagers hanging out in a parking lot.

It was the same thing here in Edmonton with the 780 meets at United Cycle. I remember someone from the Viper club wanted to meet up for a cruise a few years back, said to meet at some Tims. I pulled up and unknowing to me it was a 780 meet. Hundreds of shit box cars parked there revving like idiots. I immediately see some retard trying to do a front wheel burnout in his moms Ford Fusion. I left immediately told buddy he could come find me elsewhere. No way was I parking a Viper anywhere near that shit show.

Quote Originally Posted by Misterman View Post
    Motorsports can still be a great time. You just have to go where there is actual motorsports going on, and not a bunch of teenagers hanging out in a parking lot.
    That's fair, but I remember my own mindset when I was in that Fast & Furious wannabe stage of my life and I don't miss it one bit.

I don't think it's a healthy scene at all, legal or not.

That's fair, but I remember my own mindset when I was in that Fast & Furious wannabe stage of my life and I don't miss it one bit.
    Stealin' truck loads of DVD players and sourcing Spoon engines overnighted from Japan?

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Any "scene" is unhealthy when taken to extremes. Just look around your gym. 1/2 those guys are using steroids to build muscle for the sake of vanity, not because they actually need to use them.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast