Quantcast
Donair spots in Beltline - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Donair spots in Beltline

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Well, it depends who you ask. For me, shawarma is more authentic middle eastern style, and again, for me, I always order the chicken at those places. Donair is a word I use to describe the "halifax style" donair, which I think of more as drunk/hangover junk food.

Sounds like I may be alone in thinking this way.
    Agree 100% here.

Donair is the processed spiced meatball thing that is shaved off, then put into a sandwich with sweet sauce and veggies (ideally just tomato, onion). The key thing is the processed donair meat and sweet sauce that makes it different than a shawarma.

Shawarma on the other hand is the non-processed meat (like chicken, lamb, beef) and then in the sandwich its usually a garlic type of sauce vs. sweet, and of course veggies too.

I suppose you could have a "donair meat shawarma" if you choose donair meat and add a bunch of veggies and garlic sauce, but to me a "donair" sandwich has to be sweet sauce with donair meat.

I'm Lebanese but certainly NOT an authority on this subject, so my opinion should be taken with a grain of salt.

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

How do people feel about Blowers and Grafton Halifax style donairs? I feel the value is terrible but it’s more of a “light” donair for me which makes it more enjoyable.

I am not a fan of Jerusalem personally, I find their ingredients aren’t the freshest when I go and they just don’t feel anything special. Cedars on Edmonton trail is probably still my top guy, and always super friendly too.

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Quote Originally Posted by sabad66 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Donair is the processed spiced meatball thing that is shaved off, then put into a sandwich with sweet sauce and veggies (ideally just tomato, onion). The key thing is the processed donair meat and sweet sauce that makes it different than a shawarma.

Shawarma on the other hand is the non-processed meat (like chicken, lamb, beef) and then in the sandwich its usually a garlic type of sauce vs. sweet, and of course veggies too.
    This is the definition I've always gone with. Not really a fan of shawarmas (mostly cause of the garlic sauce), but I love donairs.

Going back on topic, I got the donair not too long ago at Sharwarma Ave in Bridgeland and really liked it. It's not Beltline, but it's pretty close.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2