Quantcast
"Kids these days" - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 73

Thread: "Kids these days"

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    Leduc, Alberta
    Posts
    253
    Rep Power
    0

    Default "Kids these days"

    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Scheer doesn’t stand for anything and his stated policies, where he even bothers stating them, make him Trudeau light but wearing a blue suit.

    He could run for the Liberals and no one would know the difference.

    He would likely be better for Alberta, but not in some substantial way to actually make a difference.

    Giant Douche vs Shit Sandwich 2.0 - the real loser is Canada

    I have next to no faith in the future of our federal government. I would actually prefer a majority BQ at this point if that was possible.

    Except I’m sure the Liberals will somehow spin it as scheer winning was tanatamount to electing the Nazis lol.
    I'm not sure we will ever see another leader to stand for anything. It's an unfortunate downside of politics. As the idiots of the world shift ever more left, the right needs to continue leaning further and further to the center(even full left in some cases), just to ensure they don't lose a bunch of core voter demographics. Young people are starting to become a lot more politically aware, but they don't know their own ass from a hole in the ground. And the Cons need to appeal to these kids.
    Last edited by Misterman; 06-21-2019 at 06:07 AM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    calgary
    Posts
    1,140
    Rep Power
    14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Misterman View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm not sure we will ever see another leader to stand for anything. It's an unfortunate downside of politics. As the idiots of the world shift ever more left, the right needs to continue leaning further and further to the center(even full left in some cases), just to ensure they don't lose a bunch of core voter demographics. Young people are starting to become a lot more politically aware, but they know their own ass from a hole in the ground. And the Cons need to appeal to these kids.
    It starts in schools and how kids are raised.
    They're raised to believe they are special and don't need to work hard to succeed.
    They don't have any grasp of Economics and the impact of debt (actually 90% of society can't grasp this concept).

    So when a government makes them a much better life with little effort, its no wonder why they vote the way they do!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Cruising the +15
    My Ride
    100% SAVAGE
    Posts
    6,103
    Rep Power
    26

    Default

    Guys, this is hilarious. Have we no been reduced to saying "kids these days" don't know to think and behave? Holy shit that's been a gripe for hundreds of years.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Technically the NE
    My Ride
    C63S + AT4
    Posts
    4,139
    Rep Power
    18

    Default

    Yea it’s not young people who are bankrupting our government with pension and medicare costs.

    Young people are just piling on more to the decades of entitlement that came before them.

    That’s just mixing up the symptoms with the cause.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

    If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    calgary
    Posts
    1,140
    Rep Power
    14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Guys, this is hilarious. Have we no been reduced to saying "kids these days" don't know to think and behave? Holy shit that's been a gripe for hundreds of years.
    It’s not the kids themselves. It’s the people raising them.

    Start teaching them some fundamentals from a young age and things will begin to change.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 1987
    Location
    SK
    My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)
    Posts
    2,907
    Rep Power
    41

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vengie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It’s not the kids themselves. It’s the people raising them.

    Start teaching them some fundamentals from a young age and things will begin to change.
    The idiots have, and things did change. And here we are.
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Cruising the +15
    My Ride
    100% SAVAGE
    Posts
    6,103
    Rep Power
    26

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vengie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It’s not the kids themselves. It’s the people raising them.

    Start teaching them some fundamentals from a young age and things will begin to change.
    Again, this is a thought that is hundreds of years old. Your grandparents said the same about your parents.....

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    calgary
    Posts
    1,140
    Rep Power
    14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Again, this is a thought that is hundreds of years old. Your grandparents said the same about your parents.....
    And yet we still don't teach kids about budgeting, the value of money etc... etc...

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.
    Posts
    6,225
    Rep Power
    24

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vengie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    And yet we still don't teach kids about budgeting, the value of money etc... etc...
    Two things that my high-school CALM class taught me in 2003. I can't help but laugh when I read this from people.

    I mean, CALM taught me to run a bloody business. How to budget. MATH taught me about interest rates.

    Anyway yea. Kids. Lazy. Etc.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    calgary
    Posts
    1,140
    Rep Power
    14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by A790 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Two things that my high-school CALM class taught me in 2003. I can't help but laugh when I read this from people.

    I mean, CALM taught me to run a bloody business. How to budget. MATH taught me about interest rates.

    Anyway yea. Kids. Lazy. Etc.
    I can tell you for a fact my CALM class did not in 07.
    Ours was cantered around getting into university.

    Not once did I say kids ARE lazy. Kids have been raised to be lazy.
    Video games and social media are slowly sapping motivation and drive from kids.
    Education systems aren’t equipping them with the skills necessary to survive in the real world.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    Calgmonton/AB
    Posts
    243
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vengie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    ...
    Video games and social media are slowly sapping motivation and drive from kids...
    Video Games have been around for about 35 years. So...
    Just sayin.

    Modern kids are still a bit of a shitty breed, but I think it's more complex than that.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    Leduc, Alberta
    Posts
    253
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Guys, this is hilarious. Have we no been reduced to saying "kids these days" don't know to think and behave? Holy shit that's been a gripe for hundreds of years.
    The worst part about saying "These kids have no respect and don't understand economics and debt, they all think they're special, etc" Is that people our age and older that supposedly know so much better, are the ones that raised these little fucktards.

    I know as a parent right now you're fighting the brainwashing of the school system that has them for more hours a day than you do. But you gotta take a certain amount of responsibility.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    Leduc, Alberta
    Posts
    253
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by A790 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Two things that my high-school CALM class taught me in 2003. I can't help but laugh when I read this from people.

    I mean, CALM taught me to run a bloody business. How to budget. MATH taught me about interest rates.

    Anyway yea. Kids. Lazy. Etc.
    I wouldn't say they "taught" it. They presented it, in a manner that would give you the ability to pass the simple test at the end. And by that point everyone has already been conditioned to not really think about or care about the material, just care about passing the test as that's all that matters.

    People are more a product of their environment than anything. Our grandparents were all stingy and cheap for the most part, because they experienced the depression. So it was almost engrained in them to save for a rainy day. Us kids raised by the baby boomers generation generally grew up with abundance. Back then you could drop out of highschool, hitch hike to Alberta, and be making 100k/yr in the next 5 years. So for a lot of us money wasn't anything we ever had to worry about.

    I grew up in a broke home regardless of the above, so the value of money became apparent to me at a young age. And I knew I never wanted to be short of it. That gave me really good work ethic, and a mindset to never rely on anyone else for anything.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Calgary/Alberta
    My Ride
    2011 Chrarger, 2018 F150
    Posts
    37
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Its that darn Rock and or Roll that is impacting these kids these days.







    Also get off my damn lawn

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.
    Posts
    6,225
    Rep Power
    24

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vengie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I can tell you for a fact my CALM class did not in 07.
    Ours was cantered around getting into university.

    Not once did I say kids ARE lazy. Kids have been raised to be lazy.
    Video games and social media are slowly sapping motivation and drive from kids.
    Education systems aren’t equipping them with the skills necessary to survive in the real world.
    So, again, I don't agree with you. I can say for a fact, as you say, that I learned how to run a business in CALM. I learned how to create a product, the basics of marketing it, how to cost it, build in a margin, allocate for taxes/expenses/etc.

    I made $400 in my grade 11 CALM class by selling freezies and nachoes to students as a project.

    I created a personal budget that had to factor in things like rent, utilities, etc.

    So, my experience directly contradicts yours (and those of many posters in here, it seems).

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePenIsMightier View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Video Games have been around for about 35 years. So...
    Just sayin.

    Modern kids are still a bit of a shitty breed, but I think it's more complex than that.
    What a stupid thing to say. How are modern kids a shitty breed? Is it because they have been raised in a technological and communicative environment that you don't really understdand? Is that what makes them shitty?

    What I see in "modern" kids:
    - Lower rates of violence and bullying
    - Better test scores and academic achievement
    - More entrepreneurs and self-actualized kids
    - A natural integration of technology into their daily lives

    Like, we've replaced Saturday morning cartoons with anytime-of-the-day video games - the products our stupid generation made, marketed, and GAVE these kis - and then turn around and say they're a shitty breed because they utilize the opportunities given to them?

    How old are you dude? lol

    Quote Originally Posted by Misterman View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The worst part about saying "These kids have no respect and don't understand economics and debt, they all think they're special, etc" Is that people our age and older that supposedly know so much better, are the ones that raised these little fucktards.

    I know as a parent right now you're fighting the brainwashing of the school system that has them for more hours a day than you do. But you gotta take a certain amount of responsibility.
    "Brainwashing". Hilarious, mate.

    Quote Originally Posted by Misterman View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I wouldn't say they "taught" it. They presented it, in a manner that would give you the ability to pass the simple test at the end. And by that point everyone has already been conditioned to not really think about or care about the material, just care about passing the test as that's all that matters.

    People are more a product of their environment than anything. Our grandparents were all stingy and cheap for the most part, because they experienced the depression. So it was almost engrained in them to save for a rainy day. Us kids raised by the baby boomers generation generally grew up with abundance. Back then you could drop out of highschool, hitch hike to Alberta, and be making 100k/yr in the next 5 years. So for a lot of us money wasn't anything we ever had to worry about.

    I grew up in a broke home regardless of the above, so the value of money became apparent to me at a young age. And I knew I never wanted to be short of it. That gave me really good work ethic, and a mindset to never rely on anyone else for anything.
    I disagree with your intro paragraph in its entirety: they "taught" budgeting, business basics, etc. in CALM. I still have the coursework in my basement (thanks to my mom leaving the country and donating all my old shit to me... yay). In CALM, in particular, I remember LOVING that class because I was making money in it. Maybe my teacher was an exception, as that class really shaped my thinking about budgeting, money, and how to earn more, and I couldn't disagree more with the people in here talking about how schools suck at teaching budgeting.

    In Math 20, I also went through a unit on budgeting. We did exercises on car loans specifically, focusing on interest rates and monthly payments.

    I don't disagree that the educational system can do better here. I also don't agree with the majority of posters in here running their mouths about how shitty our education system is and how crappy kids are.

    I'm 32. I graduated in 2004. It's not like my experience is atypical, or even new.

    Now, interestingly, I also am not sure I agree with your sentiments re: product of environment. The reason for this is because I can think of two examples of people who were raised in fine environments, by supportive and caring parents (that pushed them to do shit), that turned into total fucktards. Not even close to their parents in terms of thoughts, values, etc. What makes this interesting to me is that both of the people I'm thinking of were adopted. One of these guys I was effectively a second son to their parents.

    It's anecdotal for sure, but something that I think on every time the "nature vs. nurture" conversation comes up.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Cruising the +15
    My Ride
    100% SAVAGE
    Posts
    6,103
    Rep Power
    26

    Default

    By any statistical measure of human health, safety or happiness, the world has never been better. If you are having problems with "kids these days" I think you need to look in the mirror.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    269
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    That's great you had that experience in CALM... I can't say the same. But it was 15 years ago so who really knows. I can't remember anything from high school.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    Leduc, Alberta
    Posts
    253
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by A790 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So, again, I don't agree with you. I can say for a fact, as you say, that I learned how to run a business in CALM. I learned how to create a product, the basics of marketing it, how to cost it, build in a margin, allocate for taxes/expenses/etc.

    So, my experience directly contradicts yours (and those of many posters in here, it seems).
    I can say that my CALM class had absolutely zero content on anything to do with running a business. Yes it covered budgeting, but definitely not business. So he isn't the only one with an experience that contradicts yours.






    Quote Originally Posted by A790 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    "Brainwashing". Hilarious, mate.
    Hilarious in what way? Have you even been inside a school in recent years? All you have to do is take one look at what gets posted on the walls there to see it is a programming center for teaching kids to ignore realities and scientific evidence, to instead accept tried and failed concepts like Socialism, and pretending you can magically change your own gender. I don't think there is some grand master on high pulling strings to purposely brain wash the youth. But they are being brain washed regardless by teachers who don't know shit and inflict their flawed thinking onto their class through osmosis.


    Quote Originally Posted by A790 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I disagree with your intro paragraph in its entirety: they "taught" budgeting, business basics, etc. in CALM. I still have the coursework in my basement (thanks to my mom leaving the country and donating all my old shit to me... yay). In CALM, in particular, I remember LOVING that class because I was making money in it. Maybe my teacher was an exception, as that class really shaped my thinking about budgeting, money, and how to earn more, and I couldn't disagree more with the people in here talking about how schools suck at teaching budgeting.
    You can disagree all you want due to your anecdotal reasoning. Doesn't change reality for everyone else. It's great that you had a lucky experience of having a great teacher by the sounds of things. Unfortunately that does not describe the majority of teachers, and therefore the majority of students.

    Quote Originally Posted by A790 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    In Math 20, I also went through a unit on budgeting. We did exercises on car loans specifically, focusing on interest rates and monthly payments.
    My math20 in 1998 did not include anything on budgeting. CALM class was the only place we "learned" anything like that. The only other class that covered budgeting was Math24, for kids too stupid or unmotivated to apply themselves at regular math. They figured if these were the future burger flippers of the world, we better at least teach them how to balance a checkbook.

    Quote Originally Posted by A790 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm 32. I graduated in 2004. It's not like my experience is atypical, or even new.
    Except that based on the experience of others, it kind of is.

    Quote Originally Posted by A790 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Now, interestingly, I also am not sure I agree with your sentiments re: product of environment. The reason for this is because I can think of two examples of people who were raised in fine environments, by supportive and caring parents (that pushed them to do shit), that turned into total fucktards. Not even close to their parents in terms of thoughts, values, etc. What makes this interesting to me is that both of the people I'm thinking of were adopted. One of these guys I was effectively a second son to their parents.
    Sure if you want to take things out of context and go full anecdotal again, then I can absolutely see how you'd find fault in my statement. I could apply my own anecdotal evidence in the fact that my brother is a homeless meth addict despite being raised by the same parents. But that doesn't really jive with society as a whole and what the numbers seem to say.


    In any sense, before we go too far down this Red Herring rabbit hole. This is a federal politics thread. And fact of the matter is that the Right needs to appeal to younger voters, who are statistically very left leaning. So the Right is in a bit of a pickle.
    Last edited by Misterman; 06-21-2019 at 09:48 AM.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    Leduc, Alberta
    Posts
    253
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Oh great, so somebody took the post still relevant to the politics thread, and split it into this dumpster fire conversation that peeled off.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Victoria Park
    My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom
    Posts
    3,399
    Rep Power
    18

    Default

    I don't even remember anything from CALM other than doing some bullshit Mavis Beacon type of exercises for extra credits.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. kids these days...

    By sandman in forum Street Encounters
    Replies: 29
    Latest Threads: 10-13-2003, 11:49 PM
  2. Kids These Days...

    By spyderman in forum General
    Replies: 8
    Latest Threads: 09-10-2003, 07:06 PM
  3. What's Happening to kids these days...

    By tommy1223 in forum General
    Replies: 14
    Latest Threads: 08-06-2003, 09:42 PM
  4. Kids these days...

    By Zephyr in forum General
    Replies: 10
    Latest Threads: 07-08-2003, 07:14 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •