Quantcast
Have you been laid off, or are you expecting layoffs? PART 9 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

View Poll Results: What is your current employment status since the beginning of 2015

Voters
80. You may not vote on this poll
  • I was laid off from what I thought was a long term job

5 6.25%
  • I was laid off from a job I had no intention of staying at anyways

2 2.50%
  • I'm still plugging away at my pre-recession job

42 52.50%
  • I willing switched jobs/careers or industries

14 17.50%
  • I was laid off or quit and haven't found meaningful work yet

5 6.25%
  • We're all fucked!

5 6.25%
  • Combination of the above / Other

7 8.75%
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Have you been laid off, or are you expecting layoffs? PART 9

My Ride
    Ford, Acura

Default Have you been laid off, or are you expecting layoffs? PART 9

When I first made these threads my intention was to do them quarterly for (what I thought was going to be) a short recession. We are now 4+ years into it with constant news about Canadian companies across all sorts of industries shutting their doors or significantly reducing staff. Its extended far beyond oil & gas and affects everything from hospitality to trades to manufacturing.

I thought it might be time to fire up a new thread as many things have changed since part 8. New provincial government, new federal bills, global upset, and skyrocketing municipal property taxes for small businesses. It sucks that its all doom and gloom but through misery I think we can realize that everyone has been impacted from the InRich ballers right down to the guys still rocking their CRX's from highschool in the 90's.

If your poll answer doesn't exist then feel free to comment. And as always share them rumors!

EDIT: As for me, I was rolling with what I thought was going to be a life long career but some pretty major company changes that were a result of the current market made it a pretty unhappy place to work (in my opinion at least). That paired with the fact that I felt tapped out in my current roll with little room for advancement had me looking elsewhere. We had a kid which was enough of a life shake up that I decided to take the plunge to a new career in the same industry. I am mostly enjoying it despite not knowing what the hell I am doing, but each day is once again a challenge and I am learning so much more than I have in the last 10 years. My wife, however, works for a massive company that put a promotion freeze on about a year into her employment and she is now 6 years into it completely underpaid and does't have the appropriate title for her responsibilities and the work they ask her to do. She's too timid to leave, but they also are fairly flexible so we made due for now.
    Last edited by schurchill39; 07-02-2019 at 07:11 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    ...Last thing I want is someone reading my posts and losing their cock over it...
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugarphreak
    Meh, they all look like Jackie Chan to me
    Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    I'm generally cute.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

After 17 years at the same company, I finally left 2 months ago. Workload had doubled, hours got worse, and their idea of compensation was laughable. New job pays less, but hours are far better, and stress is way down.

My whole industry is by and large unaffected by the recession. There's an extreme lack of qualified people, and most millenials leave the industry once they realize they can make more money turning wrenches on cars, than airplanes. So that's leaving a large age gap for us.

You think airfare is expensive in Canada now? Just wait until Air Canada and Westjet have to start paying aircraft techs and pilots the same wages the US has started to, just to keep people.

My Ride
    06 S2000

I weathered most of the recession decently well. I finally lost my contract position in the fall of 2017. I spent a few months off, then found project work for the spring/summer of 2018, for a reduced rate. The project got extended, but I was frustrated with the constant travel/living out of a suitcase. I walked away from the renewal offer in the fall, and spent a month working for tirebob at the north Urban X location. My previous boss offered me another contract, but at a demoted position and another reduced rate. I took the 6 month contract, and right around the time they offered a renewal, I got offered a full time position in another industry (outside oil and gas).

I opted to take the full time position to finally get out of O&G. It's another pay cut, but at this point, I'm pretty happy to be at a place that's challenging, where I'm learning new things, and I'm not _directly_ affected by the constant pressures of the O&G industry. I'm taking home around 60% of what I used to make.
    Quote Originally Posted by heavyfuel View Post
    That's why I just say I have a 4" dick and lift weights to make up for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    My car sounds like shit.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Let’s see...

Started a masters degree because I was bored at work

Quit to pivot into a different industry a couple months later

Quit that after a year to focus on school and took a couple of months off work

Started contracting back for an E&P, supposedly part time, but it’s been full time since day one with no shortage to do. Been here since with my role really evolving through time and really liking it.

Finished my degree and now get to have a bit of a life.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

Company owned by big American firm closed up shop at the end of 2017.

Started private firm doing same work in Early 2018. Been pretty good so far, but its very cyclical.

My Ride
    '73 Buick, '03 Ruckus, '18 Tundra

I was in a secure position for the past 10 years, recession hit. Hours massively increased and compensation didn't. Direct supervisor refused to hire anyone for 2 years leading up to me leaving. Quality of life towards the end of my employment was just terrible. Transitioned to a contractor role versus a supplier gig and it's been fantastic. Way less corporate, similar role, similar pay but much less stress and unpaid OT. Very happy so far in the first 6 months

My Ride
    changes daily :D

I thought I had my perfect job; until the owner of the small car dealership I worked for decided to shut down the business. I bounced around for a bit, working different jobs to keep the money coming in. been at a desk job the last 2.5 years now, and not really liking the settings/hours/structure. my current position isn't going anywhere, but doesn't leave much for advancement opportunities. starting my search for something different but unsure of where that will end up. the wife is still in oil and gas, she has switched companies 2 times since 2011.

Did a Masters degree in 2014 when things started to go south, finished the end of 2017 hoping things would be better - WRONG. ROI on the degree has been minimal thus far. Company I've been with for 13 years was bought by another EPCM firm, huge restructuring, had to apply for current position, beat out everyone clearly. Hate the new job, not what was sold to me and am doing easily 60-70 hour weeks with no raise in the past 3 years. Extreme high stress job. Not a lot of work out there for senior management positions out there, but have been looking a lot. Considering moving out of Calgary to either BC or Ontario for work now as can't sustain this high stress job, work life balance is shit.

Ultimate goal, go back to HK and drive a small bus. Corporate life is not worth it.

Bunch of buddies left and got into trades instead, said much better work/life balance and better job satisfaction.
    Common items like others have said, have noticed increase in workload, hours, stress since the downturn, while standard of living has gone down. 1 person doing a 3 person job is what it's like now.
    Last edited by BokCh0y; 07-02-2019 at 10:29 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Disoblige View Post
    Arash reminds me of Mar but I can't tell which one is more stupid.
    Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE View Post
    Yeah well I wonder how they get the soft flowing caramel inside the Caramilk bar but you don't see me making a god damn thread about it. Slap your wife Baygirl, straighten him out.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by BokCh0y View Post
    Ultimate goal, go back to HK and drive a small bus. Corporate life is not worth it.
    https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/109...hong-kong-bus/

Quote Originally Posted by Xtrema View Post
    Hahahaha.
    Yeah well I wonder how they get the soft flowing caramel inside the Caramilk bar but you don't see me making a god damn thread about it. Slap your wife Baygirl, straighten him out.

I'd encourage Beyonders in a tight spot to take a step back and remember that you're still in the early stages of the game. Maybe it's the end of the first period, plenty of time to figure out what you want to do, whether it's O/G or otherwise.

Plenty of time to change companies, roles, sectors, cities, etc.

Go network out of your comfort zone. There's a monthly AI meetup... go just to check things out. Plan to grab at least 1-2 coffees with people on the outer rings of your network each week. Ask for intros that could be interesting.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-18-2019 at 05:20 PM.

My Ride
    is faster than yours

Did a Masters degree in 2014 when things started to go south, finished the end of 2017 hoping things would be better - WRONG. ROI on the degree has been minimal thus far. Company I've been with for 13 years was bought by another EPCM firm, huge restructuring, had to apply for current position, beat out everyone clearly. Hate the new job, not what was sold to me and am doing easily 60-70 hour weeks with no raise in the past 3 years. Extreme high stress job. Not a lot of work out there for senior management positions out there, but have been looking a lot. Considering moving out of Calgary to either BC or Ontario for work now as can't sustain this high stress job, work life balance is shit.

Bunch of buddies left and got into trades instead, said much better work/life balance and better job satisfaction.
    Common items like others have said, have noticed increase in workload, hours, stress since the downturn, while standard of living has gone down. 1 person doing a 3 person job is what it's like now.
    Then how come you always seem so relaxed??

Quote Originally Posted by never View Post
    Then how come you always seem so relaxed??
    Because my dick is big.

My Ride
    Silverado

Because my dick is big.
    Username does not check out

My Ride
    Bikes.Car.Truck

Westridge Cabinets is finished. Bankrupt. Large amount of people affected in Red Deer. Girlfriends friend got lucky as she was laid off in March with severance and got another job in the same industry quickly.

A redditor uploaded a pic of the notice on the door.

https://imgur.com/a/1qSOIlD
    Looking around
    Wondering what became
    Of what I once knew

My Ride
    V8s

Quote Originally Posted by 16hypen3sp View Post
    Westridge Cabinets is finished. Bankrupt. Large amount of people affected in Red Deer. Girlfriends friend got lucky as she was laid off in March with severance and got another job in the same industry quickly.

A redditor uploaded a pic of the notice on the door.

https://imgur.com/a/1qSOIlD
    "Westridge has been the frontrunner kitchen cabinet company in the building and construction industry in Alberta for 37 years..."

Given the context, I'd say that's pretty unlikely.

Quote Originally Posted by cjblair View Post
    "Westridge has been the frontrunner kitchen cabinet company in the building and construction industry in Alberta for 37 years..."

Is there any company that doesn't advertise themselves as the best, #1, most trusted, first choice, etc.? Even when bankrupt this company is still touting that haha. Any time I read that I automatically assume it to be false.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Quote Originally Posted by Tik-Tok View Post
    After 17 years at the same company, I finally left 2 months ago. Workload had doubled, hours got worse, and their idea of compensation was laughable. New job pays less, but hours are far better, and stress is way down.

My whole industry is by and large unaffected by the recession. There's an extreme lack of qualified people, and most millenials leave the industry once they realize they can make more money turning wrenches on cars, than airplanes. So that's leaving a large age gap for us.

You think airfare is expensive in Canada now? Just wait until Air Canada and Westjet have to start paying aircraft techs and pilots the same wages the US has started to, just to keep people.
    That sounds like typical aviation - pay less in a new position. Are you making 20$/hr yet? lol

Also, if wages start creeping up the larger operators will just sub out more of the work to the lowest bidder in 2nd world countries - like AirCanada has been doing for decades by closing their MRO facilities in Canada .

Large aircraft are designed/built with maintenance in mind so that any work to be done is already allocated for as far as contractors. Gone are the days of endless troubleshooting with most large new ships.
    Last edited by revelations; 07-10-2019 at 09:04 AM.

My Ride
    Bikes.Car.Truck

Quote Originally Posted by cjblair View Post

Yah I got a good chuckle out of that too. Maybe there was a time when that was true. But not recently.
    Looking around
    Wondering what became
    Of what I once knew

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast