Quantcast
Motorcycle suggestion - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Motorcycle suggestion

My Ride
    This and that.

Default Motorcycle suggestion

Been itching for another bike having sold my Moto Guzzi at the end of last season. What do you guys think of the 2014 Yamaha Bolt? I am looking at either that or a 2013 Kawasaki Ninja 650 (w/ ABS). I know completely different but the way Bolt is done up looks sick. I was thinking had a cruiser (Moto Guzzi) last so time to with it up to a sport bike but still confused.

Nothing wrong with either bike, but they are two different rides. Where did you spend most of your time riding with the Guzzi? City, highway? Are you the type of rider who likes to be cool on the bike, or is the bike a tool for Adrenalin rushes?

My Ride
    Bikes.Car.Truck

Just do what I do.... buy them both.
    Looking around
    Wondering what became
    Of what I once knew

My Ride
    This and that.

Both is not an option lol have a wife that I have to answer to even for the one. Saw the Kawi today and for a sport bike it’s super comfortable and you sit relatively upright. Bolt is out of town so can’t see it in person but I guess I can imagine what a cruiser like Bolt would ride like. I’ll use it for occasional city driving and small errands so nothing extensive. I guess I am gonna sleep on it tonight and see what I feel like tomorrow or in the next few days.

My Ride
    Unit 91 come in 91

Be a man and buy a Harley

My Ride
    *The First*

Quote Originally Posted by Shlade View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Be a man and buy a Harley

My Ride
    V8s

Quote Originally Posted by ThePenIsMightier View Post
    Exactly my thoughts

Buy the 650r. Or an MT-07. Also with your intended usage, a supermoto is probably a great fit... you should look at a couple if you haven't yet.

My Ride
    Unit 91 come in 91

Quote Originally Posted by ThePenIsMightier View Post
    Haha exactly

My Ride
    Ram 1500, '68 Camaro, S14

I wish I was shorter so I could ride a supermoto haha. I look like a knob on dirt bikes

I hear ya! I wish I was taller or had longer legs so I could comfortably ride a lot of bigger dirt bikes.

My Ride
    This and that.

I don't like dirt bikes plus I am not short either so don't want to look funny. Started looking at Harley's now. Wanted to keep it as low priced as possible but you jerks don't help! There is a 3rd R6 option also available for a 2009 with low kms. I know all over the place with this stuff. For Harley's I like the stealth looking ones, matte etc. But I don't want to spend too much, wanted to spend $5K or less but for a Harley will stretch to $7K-$8K max.

My Ride
    Non Baller Vehicles

I loved my 650R, was a fun ride without being too hardcore...IIRC they're only a fraction slower 0-60 than the ZX6R

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Bolts are basically Yamaha's attempt at creating their own version of the Harley Sportster, so there's a lot of design similarities between them. I was pretty much set on getting a Bolt as my second bike a few years back but I ended up going with a Sporty just cause there's soooooo much more aftermarket support and the model's been around for over 60 years so there will always be tons of parts so it's easy to customize it the way you want. I don't think they even had forward controls for Bolts when I was looking at them back then. I'm sure it's better now though.

The stock airbox on those Bolts are bulky and really got in the way when I was test riding one. I'd imagine for someone taller like you, they'd be even more uncomfortable.

If you're dead set on one, see who is still carrying old stock. I remember one dealership here still had like a 2 year old model one time they were trying to unload for $6K before taxes.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Standard bike choices:

- street (fighters, sport, etc.)
    - cruiser (harley, honda etc.)
    - single (motard, enduro, etc.)
    - touring (sport, goldwing-esque)

Defintely avoid the Harley POS machines. If it has to be a cruiser - go with an all blacked out Honda or other, cruiser. Mod accordingly.

The singles are not good for highways - but great for streets.

The sport touring models are a great compromise for the person who wants comfort but agility.

Last edited by revelations; 07-07-2019 at 01:46 PM.

My Ride
    2019 JLU /Triumph T120 Bonnyville

I have a 2013 650, and I honestly think it's a lot of fun. Have taken it to Vancouver and back, stable at 130 KM/h, fairly comfortable and nimble. A lot of fun in turns. It's more upright than a sport bike (Ninja 600) because it's labeled as a sport touring. I chose it because of the leg/foot position being underneath my body more than out front like the Bolt. Even when I sit in chairs my legs don't find the 90 degree at the knees comfortable. I do know others that don't like my bike for that exact reason, so that is something to for sure consider, especially if you are planning on doing longer rides.

My Ride
    ute

Quote Originally Posted by shakalaka View Post
    Both is not an option lol have a wife that I have to answer to even for the one. Saw the Kawi today and for a sport bike it’s super comfortable and you sit relatively upright. Bolt is out of town so can’t see it in person but I guess I can imagine what a cruiser like Bolt would ride like. I’ll use it for occasional city driving and small errands so nothing extensive. I guess I am gonna sleep on it tonight and see what I feel like tomorrow or in the next few days.
    So NOW your wife decides to step in on these things?

My Ride
    This and that.

^Haha she ALWAYS steps in - I just know how to press my luck and how far to push her. And the line of, 'you'd rather me do this or hookers and blow', seems to help a bit. At least in my head. Haha.

Thanks for the input everyone. I've always liked Harley's so definitely not something I want to ignore. Ever since I had my accident on the GSXR 1000 I started liking cruisers more. That being said I am not completely opposed to the idea of a crotch rocket again but the kind of riding I do, I don't think I would use them to their full potential.

So here are the current options I've negotiated so far that I can really go for either...currently leaning towards the HD but that can change as yesterday at this time I was leaning towards the Kawi (HD wasn't even an option). Haha.

2013 Kawasaki EX650 (w/ABS) - 2500 kms - $4500
    2012 Kawasaki EX650 - 3500 kms - $4000
    2014 Yamaha Bolt - 8500 kms - $5000
    2009 Yamaha R6 Raven Edition - 13000 kms - $5300
    2013 Harley Davidson Iron Sportster 883 - 5300 kms - $6300
    2017 Harley Davidson Street Rod 750 - 60 kms (new) - $8300

So far leaning roads the 883 as it seems to be the best deal. The Street Rod is best looking - matte grey and the 883 isn't blacked out like I like but perhaps something I can do later I guess.

EDIT: Can someone who's knowledgeable about Harley's explain to me the difference between different 883 versions? I see some 2014's (or 13's) listed at $6500 and some at $9500 (with similar mileage etc.). But some (usually pricier ones) look way nicer, stealthier than the cheaper ones. Some have XL833N in the name and some don't. They are all supposed to be 883's but some I find appealing to me and some I don't and usually the ones I find appealing are more expensive. Sure some have mods but if that's the only thing then I rather get the cheaper one and mod it myself or something. Not sure if I am missing on something else at all. Perhaps the person who put me to Harley's @Shlade can chime in....lol
    Last edited by shakalaka; 07-07-2019 at 05:44 PM.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

So that's a no for bookers and blow with me then?

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

So here are the current options I've negotiated so far that I can really go for either...
    I feel the Honda Shadow should be on this list too and to a lesser extent the Yahama V-Star.

EDIT: Can someone who's knowledgeable about Harley's explain to me the difference between different 883 versions? I see some 2014's (or 13's) listed at $6500 and some at $9500 (with similar mileage etc.). But some (usually pricier ones) look way nicer, stealthier than the cheaper ones. Some have XL833N in the name and some don't. They are all supposed to be 883's but some I find appealing to me and some I don't and usually the ones I find appealing are more expensive. Sure some have mods but if that's the only thing then I rather get the cheaper one and mod it myself or something. Not sure if I am missing on something else at all. Perhaps the person who put me to Harley's @Shlade can chime in....lol
    Generally speaking, modern Sportster models either come in 883cc or 1200c. And from there, the only real differences between the models are parts and accessories, ie: different sized tanks, different seats, more black hardware vs more chrome, suspension, forward vs mid controls, wheels, etc. The Iron you are looking at just has a lot of black hardware.

My Ride
    This and that.

Quote Originally Posted by D'z Nutz View Post
    I feel the Honda Shadow should be on this list too and to a lesser extent the Yahama V-Star.

Generally speaking, modern Sportster models either come in 883cc or 1200c. And from there, the only real differences between the models are parts and accessories, ie: different sized tanks, different seats, more black hardware vs more chrome, suspension, forward vs mid controls, wheels, etc. The Iron you are looking at just has a lot of black hardware.
    I only put the ones on the list that are actual available options so far. What's a good deal on a Sportster 883? I see some 2009's asking $6500 and some 2013's willing to sell for $5800? Are they the same bike...why the discrepancies? Do the blacked out ones typically cost more from the factory as well? Is that why they are more expensive in the used market? I found another 2014 883 with 2700 kms that I can get for just under $6K. Seems like a good deal to me but not sure. Problem again being it's not blacked out version just all chrome which for some reason makes me feel like it's for old people lol.

I even started looking at Moto Guzzi V7 (or newer) Racer's again. I kinda regret selling mine last year, it was a sick looking bike. Could go for a non-chrome tank version this time.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast