Quantcast
Indochina - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Indochina

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Default Indochina

Have people used the store here in Calgary for measuring or checking out the fabrics? The brand has expanded to casual shirts/chinos which I really like, prices seem good but I have no idea what their quality of construction or materials is like.

I know they were really popular here for suits for good value but for dress shirts, how have they held up? They have what seems "standard" vs. "premium" but I can't find out what that means since material weight doesn't appear to dictate it.

Lastly, for people who have used the store, do you pick up there or DHL shipping only? Is customs/duty/tax predictable?
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

I don't know about casual shirts, but they have had chinos forever. I have Indochino "chinos" from a 2012 wedding party I was in. Quality was good, the material was very heavy - too heavy, in fact, for a wedding in the Bahamas haha.

I switched from Indochino to Huey Lam for dress clothes, the quality and fit is better IMHO and I like that they have a body scanner for perfect measurements. Indochino served me well for many years though, exact same quality as off-the-rack non-custom stuff that cost 2-3x as much.

I haven't used Indochino since they got a brick & mortar store in Chinook, but just having someone else to measure you properly probably makes a big difference.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

How much are dress shirts from Huey Lam? Better quality how? Cheers!
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

Quote Originally Posted by msommers View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    How much are dress shirts from Huey Lam? Better quality how? Cheers!
    I think they are $70. The material was noticeably better quality, the collar and buttons were quite a bit better (stiffer and thicker), collar was wider, the button holes and the strip that the buttons are attached to are reinforced, and he sewed in elbow pads onto the inside for me for free (I blew out my elbows in about half of my old Indochino shirts as they slowly wore thin over the years). I guess there aren't that many ways in which you can improve a shirt since the bar is pretty low, but it was a better product than any of my Indochino shirts.

Similar deal with the pants - the waist band area was just built better and had more structure to it. Zipper/buttons were better quality, belt loops reinforced better, etc. The pants are more expensive though - I think $170.

He has a 3D body scanner that takes 750 measurements (you stand in a little booth in your underwear for a bit haha) and then he confirms the more important ones by hand, so you don't really have to worry about waiting weeks for clothes that don't fit. He's also a tailor so if the clothes arrive less than perfect he can fix them on the spot without dealing with returns/remakes and waiting another month.

Worth a try anyway, you can always just grab a shirt & pants from him, do the same with Indochino, and compare.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 07-10-2019 at 12:05 PM.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

All of my indochino shirts (bought 3 at once on a sale) were toast within a year of buying them with regular use. The pants were ok, but both hems fell out and had to be redone after a couple months. Very much a get what you pay for situation.

They weren’t any cheaper than buying boss shirts from the outlet at crossiron.

Just my $0.02
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    All of my indochino shirts (bought 3 at once on a sale) were toast within a year of buying them with regular use. The pants were ok, but both hems fell out and had to be redone after a couple months. Very much a get what you pay for situation.

They weren’t any cheaper than buying boss shirts from the outlet at crossiron.

Just my $0.02
    I got my entire work wardrobe from them and had a different experience - all my Indochino stuff lasted a good 6+ years before they finally either looked too worn (collars & cuffs) or failed (thinning on shirt elbows and eventually ripped). I had about 12+ shirts, 5-6 pairs of pants, 3 pairs of chinos and 3 suits. I rotated combos and wore them 5 days a week over that time period. The suits and chinos I got from them I still have and they all look like new. Never had issues with buttons/zippers but the stuff I have from Huey Lam is noticeably better.

My Indochino stuff was all better quality and lasted longer than any of the off-the-rack stuff I've bought for far, far, more money at Supreme, O'Connors, etc. before I discovered the world of custom clothes.

I prefer Huey Lam lately but I can't complain about any of the stuff I got from Indochino - you get a lot more than you pay for in either scenario in my experience and I got my money's worth many times over after all those years. Haven't used them recently, so I can't comment on their latest stuff.

My Ride
    *The First*

Quote Originally Posted by D'z Nutz View Post
    You mother fucker, that's exactly what I came in here to post and if I wasn't so fuckin busy at work today, I could've been as cool as you!
    Edit - it won't let me give you Rep, even! This is a bad day for me.

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Quote Originally Posted by ThePenIsMightier View Post
    You mother fucker, that's exactly what I came in here to post and if I wasn't so fuckin busy at work today, I could've been as cool as you!
    Edit - it won't let me give you Rep, even! This is a bad day for me.
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to ThePenIsMightier again.

Damn it, I was going to use the Marsellus Wallace Wolf quote on your rep