Quantcast
Looking for manual AWD?!?! STI, WRX, golf R and what else? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking for manual AWD?!?! STI, WRX, golf R and what else?

My Ride
    fiat abarth

Default Looking for manual AWD?!?! STI, WRX, golf R and what else?

Looking to buy a used manual AWD car. Moving from an Abarth to something that can fit a car seat. And the wifey wants a manual instead of auto. Preferably under $30k, ideally around $20-25k

The subie engines scare me, but if its around $10k then I can put a closed deck engine in there and hopefully the engine will have less problems. But I think STI seems like the most interesting car as a baby hauler.

Golf R is also a possibility, probably could only afford mk6 with my budget. Repairs seem expensive but havent really look deep into the golf r issues.

Other choices focus rs, audi A4, S4?

Anyways, expecting a baby so I want an interesting car but save as much money as I can for the kiddo to spend. The car should hopefully be low hassle as this will be my 1st kid and rather pay attention to the family than wrenching cars. Keeping the car for 5 years or so.

Thanks for any tips or suggestions.
    Last edited by bcylau; 07-10-2019 at 10:40 AM.

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

2015+ WRX is probably the most logical choice in my eyes.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Im no Audi expert - but 'low hassle' and used Audis (most German cars in fact) are generally incongruous.
    Last edited by revelations; 07-10-2019 at 11:04 AM.

My Ride
    Faux X 4 Mall Crawler

sig deleted by moderator, because they are useless

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Quote Originally Posted by finboy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Dude bought it less than a year ago, spent piss ton on mods - including a large sum a few months back - and is now selling?

You can keep a baby in that car just fine - no need to sell.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-18-2019 at 05:18 PM.

My Ride
    Silverado

A current gen (2017+) A4 would get my vote. Reliability is no different than anything else on your list, surprisingly fast (~5.4 sec 0-60), great on gas, and you get lots of tech. As a do-everything sedan, it leaves very little to desire. The Subarus and all their engine issues are probably the most worrysome.

Used S4 would be no problem at all, especially if 6MT or 2013+. The two S4's I had over many years and ~200,000km++ were as reliable as my Civics and daily driven year round, and one of them was modified for over 130,000 kms. Currently have a 2016 Audi in the family that has not had a single problem in 3 years so far. I wouldn't worry about it at all provided it has been maintained properly and not bagged for its entire life like some are (which is where you find the issues). Only problem with the S4's is that you have to go a bit older for your price range, so you miss out on a lot of the tech features if that is an issue.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 07-10-2019 at 11:33 AM.

My Ride
    2021 Zonda CRV

I don't mean to shit on your thread. Maybe also run alternative search alongside based on car safety ratings..?
    Your expecting a child and I think car safety should be no1 on that list. Then work backwards on that.

Euro NAcp ratings are a goodplace to start: https://www.euroncap.com/en
    There are some other sites, but they dont seem to be detailed.

My reason for saying is that there are a lot of trucks and SUVs on the road. Combine that with a lot of dumb drivers. If your car gets side swiped with your wife driving and baby in the back. Is the concern that it is a interesting car to drive, AWD and a manual shifter..? Or that it looks shitty but manufacturer put money into protecting its occupants....?

There are no real big choices for awd manual.
    If its Subaru, the Cross trek comes in a manual, go for ones after 2016(I think), they went from a 5 to a 6 speed shiftier. But may not be interesting to drive.

I'd buy a Volvo..just saying..

My Ride
    370Z duhh

2013 Audi S4... apparently they are super reliable.

But like someone said if you're expecting a child, skip all this crap and go for cargo storage and safety. Keep a sports car in the home for when you don't have the kid. Unfortunately there is no such thing as safe and good for kids and "fun".
    Last edited by 370Z; 07-10-2019 at 11:37 AM.

My Ride
    Cayenne S, 335i Cab

Agree. You are not going to do much spirited driving anyway when you have an infant in the back , and you'll definitly appreciate having the extra space for stroller and stuff more than the rare moments you are out in the family car without having the kid in the back.

I had a MK7 Golf R but traded it in for a X5 because of the kid. I miss the R lots but baby is 4 months old now and I have zero regrets upsizing.

You don't have to buy a boring car just because it's going to carry a kid - just save your fun for when you aren't carrying the kid. There are tons of very practical cars that are also a lot of fun to drive. That said I wouldn't buy something as tiny as a WRX/STi for a family hauler.

My Ride
    Summer car or work truck

I have a 2013 manual audi a4 that is what you are looking for. 2nd owner, all service upto date. Check below for info

2013 Audi A4 Premiun Quattro 2.0t,
    https://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/...nt=app_android
    Last edited by arcticcat522; 07-10-2019 at 11:54 AM.

My Ride
    19 Jeep Wrangler, 20 Hyundai Palisade

How tall are you/your SO? If you are anywhere near 6 foot tall, all the choices you listed would be a PITA for daily use with a back facing child seat mounted in the middle. Unless this would be an occasional child hauler. I have had those seats in the GTI/WRX/STI/335 occasionally and it sucked.

My Ride
    Trucks

My wife is stay at home with 2 small kids and drives an ‘08 Wrx hatch. 2 car seats with 1 rear facing, stroller, trips to Costco, 3 bikes on the back no problem. I’m 6’2” and can still drive it comfortably with the entire family in there. Don’t be afraid of space in them. Although, we are looking at moving to a Subaru Ascent in the next few years.

My Ride
    Touareg, Cayenne, 944s

My daily driver is a 2013 S4 with a car seat in the back. The S4 is a fine car for a baby seat and has plenty of trunk space etc.. It's been reliable and does a decent job at being a family hauler. We are a 2 car family and generally we take the Touareg if we're going out all together because of the ease of use.

The problem I have with the S4 is that it's a bit unexciting. It's a grey torpedo, fast, quiet, understeering.

My Ride
    370Z duhh

Quote Originally Posted by JustinL View Post
    My daily driver is a 2013 S4 with a car seat in the back. The S4 is a fine car for a baby seat and has plenty of trunk space etc.. It's been reliable and does a decent job at being a family hauler. We are a 2 car family and generally we take the Touareg if we're going out all together because of the ease of use.

The problem I have with the S4 is that it's a bit unexciting. It's a grey torpedo, fast, quiet, understeering.
    That's kind of what I was getting at... there is no such thing as a family hauler than is truly exciting lol but hey, that's the sacrifice you make for procreating right?

My Ride
    rally pig

you're wife is awesome, I had to trade our 5spd civic for an auto as my wife felt more confident driving one with our baby.

if you want something cheap and that doesnt consume too much gas then avoid wrx or vehicle that uses premium gas.

we have a 2009 wrx265 with 160k on it now and never had any issues with it, our next vehicle of choice now though would be a Forester.

My Ride
    Touareg, Cayenne, 944s

Quote Originally Posted by 370Z View Post
    That's kind of what I was getting at... there is no such thing as a family hauler than is truly exciting lol but hey, that's the sacrifice you make for procreating right?
    Yeah, I'm lucky enough to have space for old Porsche 944's that do actually excite me.

My Ride
    992 T-hawk Golf R

Quote Originally Posted by 370Z View Post
    I'll challenge that statement. After our first kid the wife drove the wagon full time for 7 months. Currently, the Trackhawk does full time daily driving and hauling the kids around. They're both a riot to drive.
    Name:  NCcvOGX.jpg
Views: 753
Size:  114.1 KB
    I like neat cars.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast