Quantcast
My parked car got rear-ended at high speed by an uninsured driver... #$@#%!!!! - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: My parked car got rear-ended at high speed by an uninsured driver... #$@#%!!!!

Default My parked car got rear-ended at high speed by an uninsured driver... #$@#%!!!!

My car was parked on the street, my wife and I were at a park nearby. I heard the accident and immediately ran over... just had a feeling it would be my car that was hit.

The driver of the Kia was uninsured. The police was on-site very quickly and took all their details.

I guess I have a few questions for you guys:
    1. Does this look like a write-off? What % of car value does it usually need to hit before it's a write-off?

2. If they do repair it, how do they account for value that I will inevitably lose in a resale given the extent of the damage?

3. Any general advice? I've never been in an accident before in my 20 years of driving... I have the police case number, I have a file started with my insurance, not sure what else I should be getting at this point.

Last edited by Super_Geo; 07-19-2019 at 01:41 PM.

My Ride
    '14 Taco

Did you have gap insurance for the write off value?

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

That's.borderline write off. Not clear from photos.

I believe it was discussed very recently in another thread that you'll get no compensation for any perceived or real diminished value because of this accident. Now I am sort of old so my memory could be faulty here.
    Will fuck off, again.

My Ride
    F10M/F87/NA2/W220/V90/E46ZHP/SE3P/DC2

If you have replacement insurance (wavier of depreciation), better pray that the car is written off. Otherwise the loss in value after the accident would leave you SOL.

Quote Originally Posted by Team_Mclaren View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If you have replacement insurance (wavier of depreciation), better pray that the car is written off. Otherwise the loss in value after the accident would leave you SOL.
    I opted to pay for the waiver of depreciation... really hoping they just replace the car instead of repairing it. If they repaired it, I would have a shitter car to drive and have a really hard time selling it down the road.
    I wonder if it'll make a difference that the car is in SF and not in Canada... makes it less likely they have an autobody shop that they're used to. Plus, all labor will be in USD, and in SF where everything is expensive.

Name:  macan coverage.JPG
Views: 621
Size:  46.6 KB

The wording of the policy makes it seem like they'll try to get an equivalent car, and not cut a cheque?
    If so, 2019 is the facelift year for the Macan and they don't have the GTS, just Base/S/Turbo, whereas in 2018 it was Base/S/GTS/Turbo.
    Maybe the silver lining in all this is that they'll replace it with a Turbo

Also... they make a point of it having the same options. I put in a custom order with options that are rarely on lot cars, so I wonder how that plays out... will they let me order a 2019 car with all the same options? Would they pay for a rental car for the 4-6 months it takes to deliver?
    Last edited by Super_Geo; 07-12-2019 at 01:41 AM.

My Ride
    F10M/F87/NA2/W220/V90/E46ZHP/SE3P/DC2

They will have to value the vehicle to the closest model/trim available in the current year. The valuation is sent to the dealer to determine replacement cost, and yes all the options you added on that was on your original bill of sale should be factored in, including accessories that's tangible . AFAIK you are not forced to buy the same car even, they will just cut you a cheque once finalized.

As soon as the cheque is sent, you lose the rental car as well. How long you wait for your new factory order is then on you

PS: from the pics, i "think" that's written off, pretty certain there's frame damage as well from that impact on the rear lower beam. You can also kind of tell the rear door doesnt align with the front anymore. Hope i am right

My Ride
    ute

damn mna, that sucks

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by Team_Mclaren View Post
    PS: from the pics, i "think" that's written off, pretty certain there's frame damage as well from that impact on the rear lower beam. You can also kind of tell the rear door doesnt align with the front anymore. Hope i am right
    Frame damage is repairable, unless it’s a Tesla. When I was rear ended sitting at a light at 60kmh or so, my car was completely bent out of shape. Doors and trunk had a hard time closing, wasn’t anywhere close to a write off on a $85k car. This was in my SLK32 back in the day. Had less front damage tho, I avoided a bus and steered into a bus stop instead.

The way I see it, if you have the replacement cost option, insurance is still going to find the cheapest way out, and would repair over write off to not invoke the bigger payout.

Hope I’m wrong. Good luck.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    2011 Chrarger, 2018 F150

So Part out
    Name:  download.jpeg
Views: 607
Size:  10.0 KB

Sorry to hear about that. Smeghead non insured drivers

Shit man, sorry to hear that. That's such a nice car.

Threads like this is one of the many reasons why I lease - the stress of something like this would take years off my life, so it's an easy way to get financial protection from things like this, hail, hit & run, vandalism, etc. with no real downside.

I'd be surprised if that was written off though, especially when insurance sees they would need to buy you a brand new one if they don't repair it. I hope it is, but I bet they try and fix it - even if it saves the insurance company $1. It doesn't look THAT bad, mostly front/rear bumpers, tailgate, and lights barring any major frame damage. Maybe exhaust too. Doesn't look like much happened to the glass / non-plastic parts.

Hope the uninsured driver gets the book thrown at them - maybe you can sue for depreciation?
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 07-12-2019 at 09:04 AM.

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    Hope the uninsured driver gets the book thrown at them - maybe you can sue for depreciation?
    This happened in 'Merica. Why just stop at depreciation? Don't forget mental anguish, physical pain and suffering (for having to run up those steep SF hills), and gender and race discrimination haha

My Ride
    Axis powers

My wife was hit from behind a few weeks back stopped in traffic got pushed into the car in front of her, I thought for sure it was a write off but nope they fixed it, I think companies are opting for fixing more than writing things

The body shop said frames are modular now and can be replaced in pieces
    Sig nuked by mod.

Quote Originally Posted by D'z Nutz View Post
    This happened in 'Merica. Why just stop at depreciation? Don't forget mental anguish, physical pain and suffering (for having to run up those steep SF hills), and gender and race discrimination haha
    Haha good point, you could probably sue for a laundry list of things on top of the depreciation.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

You can sue to your hearts content, but at the end of the day with no insurance covering the guy, you won't see a dime.

My Ride
    2017 Golf TSI

Airbags didn't go off and the roof isn't buckled - I'd say it is not a write-off. Given the panel misaslignment I see down both sides it's going to be a bitch of a repair though.

Usually they draw the line at 75% of the replacement cost of the car to determine whether they will write it off or not. Since you had replacement value insurance I wonder if they would use the full purchase price for that 75%? If so, you're nowhere near a write-off.
    Originally posted by Vagabond142
    Is the best game. Ever. In everness. It is more awesome than a robot caveman punching God in the dick. It is that awesome

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Having the replacement insurance isn't SUPPOSED to disadvantage you like that. No idea how that works in practice though.

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    Having the replacement insurance isn't SUPPOSED to disadvantage you like that. No idea how that works in practice though.
    My understanding is if its a full-blown obvious write off, you get a new car rather than having to battle with the insurance company over what it's worth on the used market.

The worst possible situation to be in is where there is enough damage that nobody will ever buy your car unless you piratically give it away, and the repaired version will never be the same again, but not quite enough damage to get a full write off. This is where having a lease is a major advantage.

If the insurance company knows the alternative is a full payout because of gap/depreciation insurance, they probably raise the repair threshold to the price of the new vehicle - they would be silly not to since their job is to pay out as little as possible.

Honestly this accident doesn't look that bad to me. The (visible) damage appears to be mostly on replaceable parts like plastic bumpers, light housings, exhaust, and the hood / tailgate.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 07-12-2019 at 10:37 AM.

Man if they don't write it off I would blow a gasket... I'm sure they'll look for excuses not to write it off given I have replacement insurance and the at-fault driver is uninsured, with 2 kids (8 and 12? both were in the back seat!)... and if they can't afford insurance, I'm guessing they don't have much to their name.

My Ride
    ute

So gap insurance has the potential for a negative outcome. TIL

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast