Quantcast
Kids bike--Advice - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Kids bike--Advice

My Ride
    TRD Pro

Default Kids bike--Advice

So I know next to nothing about bikes, and have a 7 year old who has outgrown his 16". I believe we would be looking at a 24" tire, as friends recently went through the same thing and the shop recommended skipping a 20" as they would outgrow it within a year.

Now to my question... looking at the stores and on kijiji...
    Am I better off to buy a used bike that is a few years old that is of better quality than a newer lower end bike? Does that much change within 2-3 or 5 years? Any age that bike parts start to need replacing? 5+? 7+?

Anything in particular to look for? I am hoping to spend under $400 if that helps... my son hasnt really gotten into anything past riding to school and the odd family trip around the reservoir, but want to somewhat future proof this in case he wants to do more and a 24 should last for 3-4 years. (Thinking more towards mountain biking etc)

My Ride
    Fiesta ST

Definitely used, avoid the shitty department store brands and you'll be fine. The only super high quality bikes I've seen for kids are Spawn, but they're crazy expensive.

I just grabbed at 16" Opus for my youngest and a 20" MEC Dash for my oldest. $120 each used vs $400 new and both looked mint.

My Ride
    TRD Pro

All we have done prior is Sportchek, so definitely trying to avoid that.

How old is your oldest that went with the 20"? Any insight on skipping the 20 and going 24?

My Ride
    Fiesta ST

He's 8, but short. If I was buying new I would have put him in a 24". His brother is 2.5 years younger, so I'll move him to the 20" in a year or two and then get a 24".

When you buy used you could buy every wheels size along the way and it's not a big deal.

My Ride
    TRD Pro

Any thoughts on this?

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-kids-bike/ca...ationFlag=true

Not much in terms of reviews online.. but fairly new, and close to half price from new and 1 yr old.

My Ride
    ute

Spawn bikes are very good, and worth the investment as the resale is good.

I've got three kids, and I've bought 5 spawn bikes, and I just move each kid onto their appropriate bike (or they do it themselves).

My Ride
    TRD Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Spawn bikes are very good, and worth the investment as the resale is good.

I've got three kids, and I've bought 5 spawn bikes, and I just move each kid onto their appropriate bike (or they do it themselves).

Not quite looking to spend $1,200 on a 7 year olds bike.. tMy first car was $300 more!
    How things have changed.

My Ride
    Fiesta ST

Quote Originally Posted by R-Audi View Post
    Any thoughts on this?

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-kids-bike/ca...ationFlag=true

Not much in terms of reviews online.. but fairly new, and close to half price from new and 1 yr old.
    Not much different from this one that's half the cost: https://www.kijiji.ca/v-kids-bike/ca...ationFlag=true

This one is awesome: https://www.kijiji.ca/v-kids-bike/ca...ationFlag=true

I recently moved my 8 year old son to a 20" bike. His knees were getting close to the handle bar of his previous bike (16" Norco Samurai) when pedaling. We ended up with a used 2014 Norco Charger 20". The bike looked a bit big for him. I guess depending on the type of bike / geometry, you might be able to skip the 20" and go for 24".

I don't mind buying new bikes, as we have two more boys. The 20" is actually our first used bike. But I'm not ready to spend the new Spawn bike prices. I originally planned to get this:
    https://www.trekbikes.com/ca/en_CA/b...de=grey_orange

It is lighter and simpler. Less things to maintain. Then my wife saw the MSRP...

My Ride
    TRD Pro

Quote Originally Posted by blitz View Post
    Not much different from this one that's half the cost: https://www.kijiji.ca/v-kids-bike/ca...ationFlag=true
    I saw that one, but when I looked it up online it appears to be a 2007 model.. so 12 years old. A lot of the bikes look quite similar, just trying to balance price and age. If I can get that other one for $200 more and its 11 years newer, Id have to think thats a better buy. (Again, not knowing much about quality of components)

My Ride
    ute

I dont think its worth skipping disk brakes.

My Ride
    M5 Competition

I recently bought this for my son, he’s 8, seems like the perfect size for him, he is 55” tall.

It has the bigger wheels and hydraulic brakes for easy stopping and a really nice shifter/derailing system for easy gear changes.

https://www.norco.com/bikes/youth/mo...inum/fluid-43/

Name:  94507733-B75F-47DF-A9F2-9840B907F3E9.jpg
Views: 292
Size:  68.6 KB

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I spent $20 on my kids bike, and $90 on my own.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Kona stinky 2-4! Usually a few on Kijiji or fb marketplace, get yourself a new trail bike and go do some moose laps in a few years (7-27 or family guy), good times.

Take a look at the Norco Charger 4.1, front air spring fork which is lighter than a spring, disc brakes and a decent alloy frame. At age 7 I'd probably try and fit him on a 24" wheel bike because it would then last him 2-3 years, I put my 6 year old on a 20" but will most likely have to get him into a 24" next summer.
    Last edited by bigboom; 07-15-2019 at 10:55 AM.

My Ride
    TRD Pro

Spent the weekend looking at ended up grabbing the slightly used 24" Cube 240 Disc brake model.

Basically this bike, one year older for $350 Cdn. Tires still had the nubs on them, and zero visible wear anywhere else.

https://www.bowcycle.com/bicycle/201...blue-kiwi-red/

My Son was thrilled, and I was happy with the value. Could have gone a little cheaper, but most bikes were 5+ years old with visible wear. This one you really couldnt tell the difference between a brand new one and basically 40% off. (Including tax in that calculation)

My Ride
    ute

perfect

My Ride
    Fiesta ST

That's a sweet bike.

I'm going to stick with the "visible wear" level bikes and keep my kids expectations low for the future.

Are department store bikes for kids really that bad if all you are going to do is ride around the neighborhood and park pathways for the most part? The seem to only use them for a year or two anyway. I've been looking for a used bike for my son as well but wasn't too concerned about brand yet. Just something in good condition and good price. Is it that much nicer to have front/full suspension?

I know nothing about bikes in general and even less so for kids bikes that they grow out of quickly.

Even some of the department store bikes seem to run 400-500 brand new.
    Originally posted by R!zz0
    Did Calgary have a riot in 2004?
    Originally posted by rage2
    Just boobs. That's how we party.

There's a bike charity with good used bikes for very cheap, and your money goes to a good cause. They are restored or tuned up as necessary to make them sell-able.

My brother picked up a ~$1500 Kona hard tail, few years old, for $200. That would be the first place I'd check for kids bikes. Whatever you do just avoid the complete garbage from CCM and the like, buy something from a "real" bike brand (Giant, Kona, Norco, Specialized, etc.) and you'll be just fine.

https://www.twowheelview.org/buy-a-bike

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast