Quantcast
Picking a lock - have you? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Picking a lock - have you?

Default Picking a lock - have you?

Short story - I found a set of keys in my pocket, couldn't remember what they were for, put them away in a safe place. Next morning I remember what the keys were for but now can't remember where I put them. A week later I decide to try to pick the lock on this small cash box and with my home made picking tools I was in in under 10 seconds. Now granted, this was a cash box lock but I did openly laugh about how quick and easy it was and now am not even going to worry about the keys because it's so painless to lick and unlock thus cash box.

Am now going to have to play with other locks around the house and am wondering how many others have picked a lock with home made tools?

Oh I hope this gets good.
    Originally posted by ZenOps
    I say we slow down the spinning of the earth so that there is 25 hours in the day.

Join me.

Seeing how easy this lock was to pick, I'll be testing some others I regularly use to protect tools and such on the job site. I am by means a rocket scientist but this particular lock was stupid easy, so much so that the lock actually is almost pointless.
    Will fuck off, again.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Years ago a buddy of mine showed me how to pick those "circular" locks, like what's found on pop machines using the barrel of a cheap pen. Did it a few times, tested it on a bike lock I had of the same style, worked.

click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version
    click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version

I could see lock picking as an interesting hobby. However, this particular technique is boring, so I lost interest.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Some dickhead locked his bike to a bike rack and ran his lock through the frame of my bike, making it impossible for me to get my bike out. His lock was a Kyrponite combination cable lock. I fooled around for a few minutes trying to pick the combination, then I gave up and took my Bahco folding saw to it. It took me about 45 minutes to saw the lock off.

Last edited by Mixalot27; 02-12-2017 at 04:27 PM.

My Ride
    Axis powers

That's nothing, back when I worked at McDonalds, you could open the registers with a plastic knife, opened in a blink of an eye
    Sig nuked by mod.

My Ride
    Ford

when you left do you think his bike lasted without a lock?
    would like to see his face when he came back to a cut lock but bike still there.
    Street Tune
    446HP 536TQ W/6# Lower, 3.5 upper 16* and 16psi

Originally posted by speedog
    Seeing how easy this lock was to pick, I'll be testing some others I regularly use to protect tools and such on the job site. I am by means a rocket scientist but this particular lock was stupid easy, so much so that the lock actually is almost pointless.
    Yea locks like that I view as just protecting against the grab and dash type thefts. Would be interested to see if you can pick your door locks.

Originally posted by blairtruck
    when you left do you think his bike lasted without a lock?
    would like to see his face when he came back to a cut lock but bike still there.
    The bike rack is located in a storage room in the parkade of my building. I left his bike where it was with his cut lock draped over his handlebars and have been locking my bike to the other end of the rack since. This happened about a month ago and so far his bike is still sitting there unlocked. I imagine he will be wondering why someone cut his lock when he finally does return for his bike.

My Ride
    '18 Murano

I'm a bit rusty, I used to compete with a friend who was a locksmith. He always beat me but I got fairly good. At an old employer I used to pick a co-workers lock on his locker and lock his coffee cup inside. Drove him nuts. He even changed the padlock and I kept doing it.

Had to test my skills a while ago, a friend needed in to his storage locker (it was his, I was with him when he rented it, and I helped moved his stuff in) His ex got a bit pissy, cut the lock off, took her stuff and put a new lock on. Tried to hold the key ransom. Took me about 2 minutes, and "pop" in he went. Illegal? The act, not as far as I know. Possessing the tools, yep probably.
    Yeah he could have cut the lock off just like she did, but where's the fun in that?

My Ride
    Mall Crawler

When I was up in Grand Prairie the cleaning crew locked the offices and no one had keys, I had to pick a few of the office locks with a safety placard for hazardous materials. Good life skill imo
    sig deleted by moderator, because they are useless

My Ride
    16' Tacoma Offroad

I can pick a standard tumbler lock and I have a lockout kit in my truck (which is an illegal burglary device) But I use my powers for good. I swear!

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Once, the lock on one of those hand held firerpoof safes. In the move I lost the key to it needed my papers out of it. Found a youtube video on how to open it with a bobby pin.

Otherwise I once got locked out of my house and just used my credit card to jimmy the lock open surprisingly easy. Always used the deadbolts after that.

My Ride
    G37X

When I was a kid, I picked a dollar store pad lock with a paper clip. I was only able to do it once though.

My Ride
    G37X

Originally posted by Mixalot27
    Some dickhead locked his bike to a bike rack and ran his lock through the frame of my bike, making it impossible for me to get my bike out. His lock was a Kyrponite combination cable lock. I fooled around for a few minutes trying to pick the combination, then I gave up and took my Bahco folding saw to it. It took me about 45 minutes to saw the lock off.

Wow what an asshole.kudos to you for the effort. He must have been shocked to see his lock cut.

Common locks are VERY easy to pick. If you wan't something that isn't, you're looking at something like the Mul-T-Lock. That being said locks just keep people honest, the lock is almost never the easiest point of entry. I remember in high school you could get into any combination lock just by listening to the clicks.

Just make a set of bump keys

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Originally posted by J-hop

Yea locks like that I view as just protecting against the grab and dash type thefts. Would be interested to see if you can pick your door locks.
    Speeddog, please test all the locks in your house, and report back your lockpicking methods and success rates (with specific mention of which lock is where)...

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-17-2019 at 04:43 PM.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Originally posted by Sugarphreak

You should buy the exact same lock, then re-lock it for lol's
    This 100%.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast