Quantcast
MyQ chamberlain not connecting to,wifi - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: MyQ chamberlain not connecting to,wifi

My Ride
    Anything topless.

Default MyQ chamberlain not connecting to,wifi

Just installed a Chamberlain garage door opener that has built in wifi and MyQ but when trying to get it going, it always comes up saying that it can't connect.

I have the app downloaded onto my phone and when going through the steps, it picks up the garage opener but can never connect to my home router's signal. The app acknowledges that there is a signal coming from the opener mounted to the ceiling but that's as far as I get with the setup.

Any idea as to why I can't get past this stage and move onto connecting it to my home network. There is signal strength in the garage , it's not the strongest but would this be enough to not let it connect? If not, what else could it be?
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

WTF!! I am a moderator!!

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Are you using an ISP-provided, shit bag disaster, router?

My Ride
    SL550, P100DL, F-450, FIAT

I had the same issue.... I had to run a router to the garage for it to be connected.
    Professionally Retired

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

just because the device can see the AP, doesn't mean the AP can see the device.

It would be odd, but it could be that the radio on the garage door opener puts out a weak ass signal that doesn't get picked up by the router.

My Ride
    2015 JGC SRT, 2011 Audi S5, MB CLS, 2015 HD RGS

I have one as well and had a few problems connecting. I had to get a newer module from Chamberlain since the first one was outdated. There are 2 apps you can download, try both apps and see if that helps. My sister also has one and is having the same problem. She is with Telus and they say they can't open a port for her on the router to have the IQ connect. I'm with Shaw and had no problem once I got the new module and tried the new app.

My Ride
    Anything topless.

I'm currently with shaw and the signal is not the greatest out to the garage but it does recognize that the opener is putting out a signal. Guess it's too weak but I do recall seeing that Chamberlain has a range extender.

Currently, we had shaw run their line to the garage since it is a detached garage and then they ran a buried line to the house.

WTF!! I am a moderator!!

Could try making a hotspot on your phone and see if it will connect to that wifi?

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by LUDELVR View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm currently with shaw and the signal is not the greatest out to the garage but it does recognize that the opener is putting out a signal. Guess it's too weak but I do recall seeing that Chamberlain has a range extender.

Currently, we had shaw run their line to the garage since it is a detached garage and then they ran a buried line to the house.
    Yep, seen this 1000x. Dump the ISP shitbag router (revert into a dumb modem only) and install something decent and instantly your various WIFI maladies will get solved.

My Ride
    e39 ///M5 || MK7R

Not sure if this is the same issue or not. I had issues troubleshooting my MyQ and I read that if you switched from the 5Ghz to 2.5Ghz it should work. The MyQ works on 2.5Ghz so you might be just set only to operate on the 5Ghz.
    KWVII Coilovers||Carbon Fiber Grille||20% Tint||Iforged Daytona||19X8 19X10||RDSport Race Exhaust||Vorsteiner Front Lip||Vorsteiner Rear Diffuser II||GP Thunders 8500K||ACS Roof Spoiler||CF Mirror Covers||

My Ride
    2015 JGC SRT, 2011 Audi S5, MB CLS, 2015 HD RGS

My garage is quite a ways from the Shaw router as well and has no problem. Good idea to try 2.5ghz vs 5 ghz.

My Ride
    Anything topless.

And how does one switch this over?

I just took a look and yes, we are signed into the 5 ghz but still, when I get to the prompt in the app where it asks me to select a MyQ device, the opener shows up but I cant go past it to select the 2.5 ghz option.
    Last edited by LUDELVR; 07-13-2019 at 08:28 PM.

WTF!! I am a moderator!!

My Ride
    e39 ///M5 || MK7R

I'm probably not the best to answer this. Maybe someone who is more computer savy can help.

Telus had setup 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz separately as well as automatically to detect for mine. Yours might be setup for 5 ghz only. If you go into your wireless settings for your router you should have an option to enable either one or both or if you are in there switch it 2.4 and test to see if that is the issue.
    KWVII Coilovers||Carbon Fiber Grille||20% Tint||Iforged Daytona||19X8 19X10||RDSport Race Exhaust||Vorsteiner Front Lip||Vorsteiner Rear Diffuser II||GP Thunders 8500K||ACS Roof Spoiler||CF Mirror Covers||

My Ride

Post up screen captures here if you can, of the steps you cant make it through.

My Ride
    ATS, XC90

For context, I just set up my own myQ opener last week. I'm with Telus, and had 0 issues. Of note, I don't use the Telus router for anything but pass-through, and have all my wifi routed through a fairly new external router. I didn't have to change any 5Ghz/2.4Ghz connections either.

The only thing I noticed is that when going through the myQ setup, you have to connect your phone to the garage door, and then after the going through the config, it seems to just be sitting forever waiting for a connection. But if you listen, the opener beeps after a connection, and the reason the app doesn't show the connection is because it already switched back to the wifi and wasn't connected to the garage door opener any more. Poorly coded app maybe, but it worked.

Yeah make sure you're connecting to your 2.4Ghz radio, not the 5G. You might need to go into your shaw router settings to see if they are both turned on and the naming. If you keep everything default, usually the sticker on it will show both the 5g and the 2g network names.

I can't remember the MyQ setup process, but if its like most other IoT devices, you have to program it using your phone. So have your phone connecting to the 2.4ghz radio so that your opener will also connect to that one (since it won't be able to find the 5ghz radio).

My Ride
    '16 F150 Lariat, 17 Shelby GT350, '21 Explorer ST

download an app like wifi analyzer and make sure you have a decent enough connection.

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by ShermanEF9 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    download an app like wifi analyzer and make sure you have a decent enough connection.
    You might have a decent RECEIVE signal, but low power wifi devices like the opener will fail to SEND a signal back and thus, fail to connect.

My Ride
    '16 F150 Lariat, 17 Shelby GT350, '21 Explorer ST

Correct, an App as such will give a good idea of whats going on though.

My Ride
    Anything topless.

So finally got this working and I'm almost certain it was the distance the router was from the opener. I initially tried to connect through the app as well as going through the online method but neither worked. My brother came over and we moved the router on the next room over which was not far by any means but we put it on the window sill and then went through the same online setup and it was able to connect.

In a related note, the router puts out 2 signals, the 2.4 and 5 ghz and it does automatically connect to the 2.4 ghz. We need to do some more wire routing so we will have to move the router again so I'll see if this affects connectivity.

Cheers everyone for all the help. Totally appreciate it.

WTF!! I am a moderator!!