Quantcast
School me on vacuums - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: School me on vacuums

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I had that same bissel stick vac and it was really weak and broke quickly. What's a good stick vac for hardwood?
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    I had that same bissel stick vac and it was really weak and broke quickly. What's a good stick vac for hardwood?
    The Shark products are good for this, if you don't want to pay ~2-3X as much for the exact same thing in a Dyson.

Honestly though for hardwood 'maintenance' cleaning (dust, hair, etc.), nothing beats the Swiffer Sweeper XL Dry in my opinion. It's faster and gets absolutely everything.

My Ride
    Blue boy

I picked this one up, no complaints thus far

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Those Shark stick vacuums go on sale all the time on Amazon and at Canadian Tire if you want one - shouldn't have to wait long for a deal.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

well, I set up a price alert on that shark model. Let's see if that pings.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

I use a Bissell Zing for the walls, and a regular powered bristle for the floors. Yes, I've taken the plunge and do the walls every so often now.
    0.5 gram microsd delivered by 12,000 pound combustion vehicle and driver.

My Ride
    *The First*

I'll counter the Dyson hate. I bought a floor demo Dyson Animal canister when Sears was closing for a fucking song (they're normally price-controlled) and it's actually excellent. The micro dust this thing picks up is incredible. I take its maintenance seriously because if it breaks, I'm throwing it the fuck out, not paying to fix it, but it's so basic and simple. Its wrist control is so amazing and smooth and its performance is far better than previous E-Lux and Kenmore units I've used.
    I really dislike that their beater bars are suction driven, rather than motorized. Like I really wanted to buy one of their older MOTORHEAD units, but it just wasn't in the cards*. It can suck itself right to the carpet and stall the brushes which I think is a poor design but on the other hand, it sure pulls up a lot of shit from what one would assume is completely clean carpet.

*Yeah, that's an Ace Of Spades reference.

My Ride
    Trucks

Quote Originally Posted by ThePenIsMightier View Post
    I'll counter the Dyson hate. I bought a floor demo Dyson Animal canister when Sears was closing for a fucking song (they're normally price-controlled) and it's actually excellent. The micro dust this thing picks up is incredible. I take its maintenance seriously because if it breaks, I'm throwing it the fuck out, not paying to fix it, but it's so basic and simple. Its wrist control is so amazing and smooth and its performance is far better than previous E-Lux and Kenmore units I've used.
    I really dislike that their beater bars are suction driven, rather than motorized. Like I really wanted to buy one of their older MOTORHEAD units, but it just wasn't in the cards*. It can suck itself right to the carpet and stall the brushes which I think is a poor design but on the other hand, it sure pulls up a lot of shit from what one would assume is completely clean carpet.

*Yeah, that's an Ace Of Spades reference.
    I like my DC28 Animal too. Just replaced the hose after 9 years, starting to split. No issues otherwise.

My Ride
    Indian Scout

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    The Shark products are good for this, if you don't want to pay ~2-3X as much for the exact same thing in a Dyson.
    I'll counter that. The Dyson costs 3x more because it picks up 3x more. I have the V10 Absolute. I vacuum the same 20 foot hallway every other day and the cannister is about 1/2 full when done. I used to do it with a Shark before and I got perhaps 1/4 of the amount of dust.

Someone else already mentioned it but the Dyson handhelds have a suction power unlike any other handheld. You pick up a ton of dust and dirt from carpets and floors that you would swear are already clean. There's also the convenience of swapping the attachment for a little short one and it's so light that you can take it out to clean the cars and have the same suction power.

My Ride
    2011 lexus is250 awd

I have this one from Costco, its been awesome, just switch the head to the hardwood one

https://www.costco.ca/Shark-Rocket-D...100461252.html

Quote Originally Posted by Isaiah View Post
    I'll counter that. The Dyson costs 3x more because it picks up 3x more. I have the V10 Absolute. I vacuum the same 20 foot hallway every other day and the cannister is about 1/2 full when done. I used to do it with a Shark before and I got perhaps 1/4 of the amount of dust.

Someone else already mentioned it but the Dyson handhelds have a suction power unlike any other handheld. You pick up a ton of dust and dirt from carpets and floors that you would swear are already clean. There's also the convenience of swapping the attachment for a little short one and it's so light that you can take it out to clean the cars and have the same suction power.

There are lots of different models of each. Both Shark and Dyson have better and worse performing products. The GF has a $150 Shark that cleans better than the $450 Dyson that also broke on her after only a year. It's all just anecdotal though with small sample sizes and uncontrolled testing.

Anyways the objective reviews disagree that Dysons are any better, and people who repair vacuums for a living don't like them (except for the business they give them haha).

Consumer Reports doesn't even have one Dyson on their list after objective testing: https://www.consumerreports.org/vacu...tests-vacuums/

Here is their testing criteria: https://www.consumerreports.org/vacu...tests-vacuums/

I also have a subscription to look at their detailed testing of all models and a Dyson doesn't show up until you get pretty far down the list. Their $600 USD canister "Animal" model scores a 3/10 on carpet cleaning and most models score 3-4 there. None of them are on CR's recommended list. They do have some better performing models but they lose points for noise, reliability, suction, and customer satisfaction.

I realize CR is not the last word on anything, but their testing and data pool is no doubt much better than anything you or I have ever done at home.

Dysons cordless stick models score better than their canister or upright products. I looked for the V10 Absolute and it does score very well on cleaning, that appears to be one of the better Dysons. They just don't like the noise, it scores low on "clean emissions" (lets more dust back out into your home), and a reliability score of 2/10 brings down it's overall average a lot for a $700 unit.

As soon as you leave the anecdotal realm, it is pretty much all Miele / Kenmore(Panasonic) / Shark. It's just a vacuum at the end of the day though haha, so whatever works!
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 08-14-2019 at 09:57 AM.

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

My Ride
    General Motors Competizione

I've got a Dyson V8. You plug the charger into the handle, right where you put the heel of your hand. When you're vacuuming you get a little shock from it on your hand and there's no other way to hold it. A little zap every 5-8 seconds. It's super fun.
    2007 GMC 2500 Duramax
    1981 GMC C1500 454

My Dyson Animal just died today suddenly, sucks.

My Ride
    Defender, Allroad

Quote Originally Posted by phreezee View Post
    My sister had this issue, and it was just a loose connection or adapter that needed fixing. Could take it to a vacuum repair place, and get it looked at, instead of dropping $500 on another one. I'd personally grab a Miele if I was replacing our Dyson.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Quote Originally Posted by phreezee View Post
    If it sucks, what's the problem?

Quote Originally Posted by npham View Post
    My sister had this issue, and it was just a loose connection or adapter that needed fixing. Could take it to a vacuum repair place, and get it looked at, instead of dropping $500 on another one. I'd personally grab a Miele if I was replacing our Dyson.
    Mieles, they and their owners quietly go about their business while others are a fixing or a replacing or a changing to something else.
    Will fuck off, again.

My Ride
    2012 F150, R6

Quote Originally Posted by jwslam View Post
    Not that i want to be debbie downer, but those guys are idiots....

Why are they using a floor attachment to clean a couch? Completely useless test. Also, they are comparing a hardwood floor attachment to a carpet attachment.... not even apples to apples.

I have one of the Miele vacuums from that line, nothing touches it.
    Last edited by GT.....O?; 11-17-2019 at 09:20 PM.
    "Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary… That’s what gets you."

My Ride
    Trucks

Quote Originally Posted by speedog View Post
    Mieles, they and their owners quietly go about their business while others are a fixing or a replacing or a changing to something else.
    Quietly burning through dust bags like its 1980 all over again.

My Ride
    Neo-Liberal Anarchist Mobile

Quote Originally Posted by Darell_n View Post
    Quietly burning through dust bags like its 1980 all over again.
    Miele makes a bagless unit now. That will be my next purchase when my next Dyson dies.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast