Quantcast
School me on vacuums - Page 4 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: School me on vacuums

Quote Originally Posted by Darell_n View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Quietly burning through dust bags like its 1980 all over again.
    So if they have bagless now, what will be your next poke at them be for?
    Will fuck off, again.

I diagnosed my Dyson, one of the prongs in the plug broke internally. Cut it off and replaced it, easy and cheap fix.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Rural_Juror View Post
    Miele makes a bagless unit now. That will be my next purchase when my next Dyson dies.
    On sale now at Costco.ca $250off until Nov 21: https://www.costco.ca/miele-blizzard...100380833.html

My Ride
    Neo-Liberal Anarchist Mobile

Quote Originally Posted by phreezee View Post
    I diagnosed my Dyson, one of the prongs in the plug broke internally. Cut it off and replaced it, easy and cheap fix.

On sale now at Costco.ca $250off until Nov 21: https://www.costco.ca/miele-blizzard...100380833.html
    Thanks vacu-broski.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Quietly burning through dust bags like its 1980 all over again.
    Wasnt that actually what makes a better vacuum system? I thought that was posted on here.

Paper bags perform better than bag-less.

My Ride
    Defender, Allroad

Quote Originally Posted by revelations View Post
    Wasnt that actually what makes a better vacuum system? I thought that was posted on here.

They definitely perform better, but I guess it's the cost of them, turning people off. Singling out the non ballers

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Yea Im no baller but I got one for the condo a while back - https://www.amazon.ca/Miele-41CAE005...6Y9EEQB&sr=1-4

But I thought the whole 'power adjustment' was a gimmick, I mean who WOULDNT want maximum suction power?? Then I tried vacuuming the floor (lino) and the damn wouldnt budge!! (stuck).

Turns out VTEC on a vacuum is too much sometimes.

I understand now.

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by revelations View Post

I probably would rather buy paper bags than replacement filters. Miele filters for the bagless need to be changed every 50hrs.

My Ride
    Trucks

I probably would rather buy paper bags than replacement filters. Miele filters for the bagless need to be changed every 50hrs.
    Most other bagless simply have washable filters. No maintenance costs.

My Ride

Most other bagless simply have washable filters. No maintenance costs.
    I have owned five Dysons with four of them being handhelds. The handhelds are great but I wouldn't mind more suction and range. However I hate reaching into the crevasses of the bagless to clean the bin thoroughly.

I have owned five Dysons with four of them being handhelds. The handhelds are great but I wouldn't mind more suction and range. However I hate reaching into the crevasses of the bagless to clean the bin thoroughly.
    The Dyson V11 stick seems to solve both those problems now - over 40 min of (realistic) cleaning time with the power head on one charge. Up to 80 minutes with low suction and non-powered attachments. "Turbo" mode is 10-12 minutes only, but it's not designed for continuous work. Automatic power/suction changes when you cross floor surface types and a real-time countdown of your remaining battery life. Objective testing also shows it to be the first cordless stick vacuum to hang with the big upright plug-in types for suction. With that in mind, I am thinking of getting one against my better judgement - but I am not sure I'll be able to get over how unreliable they are for the cost of entry ($900). A cordless stick vacuum that can actually clean well and last long enough on one charge to do the entire house is very tempting, but Dyson reliability and build quality is garbage. The biggest downside aside from the fact that it will probably break right after the warranty is up is that you can't even change the battery - and charge time is 4.5 hours. If you can get over those things, it's the best cordless stick vacuum out there based on my research anyway. LG makes a close competitor (CordZero A9) but it's very difficult to find in Canada.

My Ride

The issue with the testing is that they are comparing the turbo mode with a corded vacuum. Realistically, people will vacuum at normal speed. I recall seeing estimates of 35 "air-watts" at normal speed. A corded vacuum would be up around 180-200 "air-watts".
    Still the best cordless out there when you use the power brush (the 40 min assumes no power brush iirc).

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    The Dyson V11 stick seems to solve both those problems now - over 40 min of (realistic) cleaning time with the power head on one charge. Up to 80 minutes with low suction and non-powered attachments. "Turbo" mode is 10-12 minutes only, but it's not designed for continuous work. Automatic power/suction changes when you cross floor surface types and a real-time countdown of your remaining battery life. Objective testing also shows it to be the first cordless stick vacuum to hang with the big upright plug-in types for suction. With that in mind, I am thinking of getting one against my better judgement - but I am not sure I'll be able to get over how unreliable they are for the cost of entry ($900). A cordless stick vacuum that can actually clean well and last long enough on one charge to do the entire house is very tempting, but Dyson reliability and build quality is garbage. The biggest downside aside from the fact that it will probably break right after the warranty is up is that you can't even change the battery - and charge time is 4.5 hours. If you can get over those things, it's the best cordless stick vacuum out there based on my research anyway. LG makes a close competitor (CordZero A9) but it's very difficult to find in Canada.
    You can replace the battery if it fails on a Dyson cordless. It's just a couple of screws and about $80-90 for the battery.

The issue with the testing is that they are comparing the turbo mode with a corded vacuum. Realistically, people will vacuum at normal speed. I recall seeing estimates of 35 "air-watts" at normal speed. A corded vacuum would be up around 180-200 "air-watts".
    Still the best cordless out there when you use the power brush (the 40 min assumes no power brush iirc).
    That's a good point, you do have to run it in boost to get the crazy suction which cuts the battery life down significantly. I think the idea is that low/medium is enough to completely clean most things, but you have boost if you need it. You are also supposed to use boost with the mini motorized head for upholstery, car mats, etc. I guess regardless of air watts, it seems to do just as well or better in the pickup tests as the corded vacuums, so perhaps there is a point where brush performance outweighs raw suction power. They take sand and grind it into a carpet with a rolling pin and it picks up pretty well the same as the corded vacuums on Auto mode, which is either low or medium power depending on the surface.

Our usage would be primarily the fluffy head on hardwood/tile, which is what got me interested in it in the first place. It seems to pick up the really fine dust well and won't tangle hair which is an issue currently. I just hate cords, so when a vacuum came out that can easily do an entire house on one charge I was intrigued, but I am nervous of Dyson's reliability and how every vacuum repairman seems to say they are garbage.

40 minutes is actually with full power brush (either the fluffy head or the torque head) medium power (or "auto") in the case of the V11. These are screen shots from some YouTube videos I found very informative comparing it with the previous model:

Name:  2019-12-11_093522.jpg
Views: 332
Size:  63.5 KB
    Name:  2019-12-11_094438.jpg
Views: 345
Size:  71.9 KB
    Name:  2019-12-11_094704.jpg
Views: 333
Size:  49.5 KB

And here's the industry standard test where they weigh a set amount of sand (100g), grind it into a carpet with a rolling pin, and see how much it picks up - the results suggest the vacuum is optimized to pick up pretty much everything on medium power, and compared to the V10, medium power has seen the biggest improvement:
    Name:  2019-12-11_095309.jpg
Views: 327
Size:  63.0 KB

Quote Originally Posted by lamp_shade_2000 View Post
    You can replace the battery if it fails on a Dyson cordless. It's just a couple of screws and about $80-90 for the battery.
    Good to know, thanks. I guess non-user replaceable just assumes people don't own a screw driver haha.

For $900 that thing had better suck my dick.

Quote Originally Posted by suntan View Post
    For $900 that thing had better suck my dick.
    Yeah the price of entry is pretty ridiculous, especially since it will probably break the day after warranty is up. Not sure if it's worth it, I am torn. I would love no cords though.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    Yeah the price of entry is pretty ridiculous, especially since it will probably break the day after warranty is up. Not sure if it's worth it, I am torn. I would love no cords though.
    I have an older Dyson cordless, it's okay, but yeah the whole thing is basically plastic. The head gets stuck now though. Not sure how fixable that is.

Quote Originally Posted by suntan View Post
    I have an older Dyson cordless, it's okay, but yeah the whole thing is basically plastic. The head gets stuck now though. Not sure how fixable that is.
    Brand new heads are only around $100 if memory serves me, so not too bad. Apparently they have a repair center in Calgary, at least that's what The Bay told me.

Hmm, maybe I should take a look. Yeah they have a few repair shops in town.

I‘be had my Miele C3 since Dec 31, 2017 and we vacuum our kitchen and living room everyday cause of the rug rats. We’re on our third bag. Those suckers hold a lot of dirt. It’s great never having to empty a bin and deal with the dust cloud storm. Love the retractable cord, hit the button and it’s all ready to be stored away within 5 seconds.

If my Miele broke, I would go out and buy another one instantly without waiting for a sale. Used to be a Dyson ball and cordless guy until it broke on us 3 times, and same with our friend’s and parent’s units.

Quote Originally Posted by dingmah View Post
    I‘be had my Miele C3 since Dec 31, 2017 and we vacuum our kitchen and living room everyday cause of the rug rats. We’re on our third bag. Those suckers hold a lot of dirt. It’s great never having to empty a bin and deal with the dust cloud storm. Love the retractable cord, hit the button and it’s all ready to be stored away within 5 seconds.

If my Miele broke, I would go out and buy another one instantly without waiting for a sale. Used to be a Dyson ball and cordless guy until it broke on us 3 times, and same with our friend’s and parent’s units.
    Quit that, you're gonna enrage the Dyson peeps. Fellow C3 owner for quite a few years, the thing just keeps going and going.
    Will fuck off, again.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 LastLast