Quantcast
School me on vacuums - Page 5 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 4 5

Thread: School me on vacuums

Got a Miele a few years ago too. Very pleased with it. Apparently they've vastly improved their reliability in the past few years.

Bought mine when they had the 10 year warranty promotion and a 10% discount on the C3, so I’m covered till Dec 31, 2027.
    Manufacturers don’t offer super long warranties if they know their product is crap, lol.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Ask the vacuum repair shops what they see the least often, probably the brand to go with. Dysons are certainly popular but not exactly known for their reliability. I guess neither are Ferraris so price doesn't always dictate "the best" at all things.
    Ultracrepidarian

Quote Originally Posted by msommers View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Ask the vacuum repair shops what they see the least often, probably the brand to go with. Dysons are certainly popular but not exactly known for their reliability. I guess neither are Ferraris so price doesn't always dictate "the best" at all things.
    The best general use vacuums for reliability are the canister vacs from Miele and Kenmore/Panasonic according to the repairmen on reddit and the like. Can't go wrong there if you're OK with the style/function. I have a Kenmore canister and it's great but I want to go full cordless.

Dyson's upright's are all garbage for hard floors or really thick carpet but they do OK on normal carpet. None of them are properly sealed either, they always fail the seal tests. Most vacuums do a horrendous job on hard floors unless they have a soft roller specifically designed for hard floors that actually grabs everything including fine dust - the only ones offering that are Shark, Dyson (Absolute version of their stick vacs), and Tineco.

Shark's uprights like the Apex perform the best thanks to the duo-clean head (soft roller + standard brush), for both carpet and hard floors it basically does a perfect job without the need to change heads. They also do not tangle with hair whatsoever.

Dyson's V11 stick vacuum is the first stick vacuum to A) have the suction and airflow to compete with high-end plug-in uprights and B) have battery long enough for an entire home. Nothing even comes close if you are willing to pay for it - and are OK with the fact that it will probably break. They also pass the seal test so 100% of the exhaust air is passing through the HEPA filter.

I've watched 12+ hours of controlled testing and vacuum tear-downs on YouTube over the last couple weeks Watching stuff get cleaned though is surprisingly satisfying.

I bought a V11 Absolute - so hopefully it doesn't break. London Drugs has them on for $699 starting tomorrow which is a very good price ($200 off). Couple other stores have it for $70 off and $150 off. The V10 deal on Black Friday was OK but it has significantly less battery life and power, and no automatic floor sensor.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 12-19-2019 at 11:45 AM.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    They also do not tangle with hair whatsoever.
    WHAT WHAT WHAT???!?!?!?!?
    I'm very interested in this.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    WHAT WHAT WHAT???!?!?!?!?
    I'm very interested in this.
    They use a comb system on the soft roller that removes hair before it can tangle and the brush roller behind it resists hair tangling. Works incredibly well. Anything from Shark with the Duo Clean head should have it.

See the little comb up against the soft roller?

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I'm sold. I will officially be buying one of these on boxing day.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    I'm sold. I will officially be buying one of these on boxing day.
    I edited my post above with a video so you can see for yourself. That guys channel is amazing for objective vacuum testing and he runs a professional cleaning business where he also uses the Shark Apex. Those duoclean heads just gobble up absolutely everything. Really, really long hair sometimes gets caught but it's easy to pull out. Most vacuums designed for anti-tangle have pet hair in mind, so it works better on shorter hair.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 12-19-2019 at 12:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    I edited my post above with a video so you can see for yourself. That guys channel is amazing for objective vacuum testing and he runs a professional cleaning business where he also uses the Shark Apex. Those duoclean heads just gobble up absolutely everything. Really, really long hair sometimes gets caught but it's easy to pull out. Most vacuums designed for anti-tangle have pet hair in mind, so it works better on shorter hair.
    Rep'ed, I think I'll buy one too.

Quote Originally Posted by phreezee View Post
    Rep'ed, I think I'll buy one too.
    Happy to help.

Coles notes of all my vacuum research is basically this:

Best Upright - Shark Apex
    Best Cordless Stick - Dyson V11 Absolute (Absolute just means it comes with the fluffy head for hard floors)
    Best Carpet Cleaner - Bissell ProHeat Revolution 2X Pet Pro (vacuum style) or Bissell Big Green (Rug Doctor style)
    Best Robot - Roomba i7+, RoboRock S5/S6, Shark IQ Robot (by far the cheapest)
    Best Canister for most people - Kenmore/Panasonic or Miele C3 series
    Best Car Vacuum - Ridgid 50313 or VacMaster Beast series

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

I snagged a Dyson V7 absolute for 250$ when the brick fucked up their pricing (was supposed to be 350). Pretty happy with it so far. Love having it ready to go so if something falls on the couch I can just vacuum it up right away and not have to lug out a vacuum and unroll the cord.

I also have minimal carpet though (couch, one set of stairs, and then the bedroom). If I had a carpeted living room I don't think the battery life would be sufficient.

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

I got given a new-to-me Miele a month ago. I got rid of my Hoover upright almost immediately. It is so much quieter and lighter, and the suction is excellent.

The only question is whether one is willing to spend what I believe to be outrageous prices for a vacuum.

My Ride
    *The First*

I don't really see how human hair getting lightly tangled in the beater bar matters, at all. Once every four months (ooohh nooesszz) you gotta clean it by snipping said hair with scissors. Is that a real impediment to vacuum goodness?!?

My Ride
    2014 Lexus IS250

I have a Dyson V6 stick vac and a DC33 Ball Vac and they both SUCK! When i first got them they were great but the loss of suction even after the usual maintenance degraded after a couple of years. Just switched to Shark - Got the Navigator Pro from Amazon (https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1) and the Shark Rocket Pro (https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07...?ie=UTF8&psc=1) and they do a much better job.

I actually felt gross after using the Sharks on my floors after the Dyson and couldn't believe how much dust was left over. A couple of goes with the Sharks and the carpets look brand new.

No they aren't as cool looking and they are A LOT louder, but from my experience, they work a lot better than the Dysons.

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

Any opinions on the Bissell Crosswave?

I have a German Shepherd so I need to vacuum every second day and I like the idea of the ability to do the carpet cleaning as well as vacuuming.
    See Crank. See Crank Walk. Walk Crank Walk.

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

Quote Originally Posted by FraserB View Post
    Any opinions on the Bissell Crosswave?

I have a German Shepherd so I need to vacuum every second day and I like the idea of the ability to do the carpet cleaning as well as vacuuming.
    Pretty sure a robot vacuum is your solution here to cut down on a lot of that vacuuming.
    Just beware of doggy accidents though.

Quote Originally Posted by jwslam View Post
    Pretty sure a robot vacuum is your solution here to cut down on a lot of that vacuuming.
    Just beware of doggy accidents though.
    The new Deebot 960 has an AI solution for poops.

Shark IQ is $250 off currently. Cheapest I've seen with auto-empty feature.
    https://www.costco.ca/shark-iq-wi-fi...100519475.html

Last edited by phreezee; 12-29-2019 at 10:36 PM.

Going to hopefully get a Nilfisk central vacuum put in.

If you guys want a better portable vacuum, take a look at Sebo. German made. 50% cheaper bags and filters than Miele. Bags are bigger too. Powerhead is also tool less for cleaning.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 4 5