Quantcast
Thoughts on Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT

My Ride
    2015 JGC SRT, 2011 Audi S5, MB CLS, 2015 HD RGS

I have had every iteration of a Jeep Grand Cherokee back to 1988 and they have all served me well. I had a 2006 SRT that was the first true hot rod SUV. Raw power rough and loud. Had a Borla exhaust and custom hitch installed in the middle to haul my Harley. Suspension was too hard for good towing. Had a few minor issues through 160,000kms. Bought a 2015 and it has the power but I would call it a Lux/Sport SUV compared to the 2006. These are great for towing, but with the 8 speed tranny they are better that the 2006 models. Feels great when pulling a trailer and you pass a guy at 140 no problem, although the gas needle dips when that happens. This model has been problem free for me through 70,000kms. I have dedicated snow tires for the winter and is the perfect ski bomber.

Quote Originally Posted by Masked Bandit View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Aside from reliability, purchase price on the Porsche & BMW are on another planet.

What other SRT product have you owned?
    2006 SRT 300c

2012 SRT 300c

2006 GC SRT

2006 Viper SRT-10

2014 Viper GTS

My old roommate also had a 2006 Charger SRT that never gave him any problems either.

I am dying to get into a WK2 GC SRT. But the fuel mileage is just way too terrible when I'm driving 1200km a week. That's the only reason I ditched my WK1 in the first place. I loved that thing. The WK2 with its ventilated seats, heated steering wheel, heated/cooled cup holders, infotainment upgrades, would just be next level awesome. I'm actually curious how much better fuel mileage is with that 8 speed trans now?
    Last edited by Misterman; 07-18-2019 at 09:08 AM.

My Ride
    2023 Durango SRT 392

You dont buy an SRT for fuel Mileage - Last trip pulling the 6000lb Trailer was to Fairmont BC. Got from Airdrie to Fairmont on one tank (321K)
    Last edited by Wrath; 07-18-2019 at 08:42 AM.
    "Life is tough. It's tougher if you're stupid."

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Towing mileage is awful with everything. I'd bet the SRT isn't that much worse while towing than other similar options.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

It doesn’t turn my crank but it seems like a cool product.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    Towing mileage is awful with everything. I'd bet the SRT isn't that much worse while towing than other similar options.
    My uncle was estimating that with his gasser 3/4 his vacation to Van island this summer with the trailer is going to run him over 2 grand in gas and ferry fees. We used over 1/4 tank from Cochrane to cataract creek. Towing mileage always sucks.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    G37X

The metallic green on the new ones is a fantastic looking colour and you should definitely consider it.

My Ride
    WK2

Every WK2 SRT catches my eye when I'm driving, and one day, I will own one!!

Seems prices on the SRT have dropped a bit since release of the Trackhawk - so that's nice.

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

I really like the WK2, I’d like to own one one day but unlikely for me.

The fact that the power train warranty is so short tells you that not even Chrysler believes they are reliable. That would worry me in the long run, not to mention the nightmare that is every Chrysler dealership in the city.

Are they still building these on the ancient ML platform?

My Ride
    Jeep of Theseus

Quote Originally Posted by Masked Bandit View Post
    Hey Beyond,

I'm looking for insight from people who have owned & lived with these machines day to day.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    Hey, let me interject and tell you about how I don't like domestic vehicles.
    shockedpikachuface.jpg

My Ride
    F10M/F87/NA2/W220/V90/E46ZHP/SE3P/DC2

Quote Originally Posted by BerserkerCatSplat View Post
    shockedpikachuface.jpg
    buy a honda civic hatch, best car.

Anyways, drove an WK1 years ago, while the gas milage is shit, it's such a cool SUV to drive. I'd consider a WK2 if i want a fast SUV. Cheaper than any European comparable.

^^ That's simply not true

OP posted a thread that literally is asking for people's thoughts. I didn't know that only certain thoughts are allowed...

Other people mentioned similar things, but when I say the same thing, it's somehow an issue

Short warranty and dealer support are legitimate concerns that have been raised both here and in other threads by other people as well.

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

^^ That's simply not true

OP posted a thread that literally is asking for people's thoughts. I didn't know that only certain thoughts are allowed...

Other people mentioned similar things, but when I say the same thing, it's somehow an issue

Short warranty and dealer support are legitimate concerns that have been raised both here and in other threads by other people as well.
    Haha, but if I were to be a little bit critical, you do it a bit more often :P

Personally for me, when I try to find reliable useful information, I find these kinds of opinions a bit annoying because although it is easy to decipher that the person doesn't have first hand experience on the topic, it is also just as easy for that person to not post irrelevant/untrue info unless they're trying to be funny or something.

Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    It doesn’t turn my crank but it seems like a cool product.

- - - Updated - - -

My uncle was estimating that with his gasser 3/4 his vacation to Van island this summer with the trailer is going to run him over 2 grand in gas and ferry fees. We used over 1/4 tank from Cochrane to cataract creek. Towing mileage always sucks.
    I know the ferry is expensive (about $300 round trip), 1700 in gas seems like a lot! But I guess if you are burning a lot and paying BC prices it adds up.

Quote Originally Posted by Disoblige View Post
    Haha, but if I were to be a little bit critical, you do it a bit more often :P

Personally for me, when I try to find reliable useful information, I find these kinds of opinions a bit annoying because although it is easy to decipher that the person doesn't have first hand experience on the topic, it is also just as easy for that person to not post irrelevant/untrue info unless they're trying to be funny or something.
    Did I post something that was untrue? If so I'd gladly be corrected. 3 years on the power train is a very short warranty by any normal standard, and something that may not have been noticed since the non-SRT warranty is a lot longer. American vehicles typically have above average warranty duration, so when they cut it this short that is a red flag IMHO. At the very least it's something the OP should be aware of.

Anyway, other people voiced the exact same concerns as I had and I don't see anyone shitting on them, so it's obvious that the issue is personal rather than any kind of genuine concern that the OP isn't getting good information. I realize there are probably some SRT fanboys here but there is no need to take offense - everyone is just trying to help the OP who literally asked for opinions.

My Ride
    Nothing

Quote Originally Posted by Team_Mclaren View Post
    buy a honda civic hatch, best car.

Anyways, drove an WK1 years ago, while the gas milage is shit, it's such a cool SUV to drive. I'd consider a WK2 if i want a fast SUV. Cheaper than any European comparable.
    No, buy an 03/04 mustang cobra.

Mine has 250,000 kms, daily driven, and all I've had to replace is a rear pinion seal and differential mounts in 12yrs (plus brakes and oil)

Bestest daily driver ever; still using the stock clutch even though i'm ported/pullied/etc.
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    changes every year

Did I post something that was untrue? If so I'd gladly be corrected. 3 years on the power train is a very short warranty by any normal standard, and something that may not have been noticed since the non-SRT warranty is a lot longer. American vehicles typically have above average warranty duration, so when they cut it this short that is a red flag IMHO. At the very least it's something the OP should be aware of.

Anyway, other people voiced the exact same concerns as I had and I don't see anyone shitting on them, so it's obvious that the issue is personal rather than any kind of genuine concern that the OP isn't getting good information. I realize there are probably some SRT fanboys here but there is no need to take offense - everyone is just trying to help the OP who literally asked for opinions.
    Not untrue but a little uninformed. Take a look at Lancers for example, they have 10 year warranties and the Evo gets what, 5? Is it because they figure it will explode after 5?

No, it's the same as alot of other manufacturers do, they reduce the warranty on the higher end ones, so that when service comes up, it's more in their pocket faster.

They know as well as everyone else that with bigger motors, brakes etc, people will drive them harder and that things will wear faster, not that they'll outright explode or something.

It's a money grab, nothing else IMHO.

My Ride
    GLS63 AMG

Bought my WK1 5 years ago with 76k as a daily driver, up to 178k now with the biggest expenditure being the front intermittent drive shaft($1100) which I later found out I could have gotten used from another model for $50.

My Ride
    992 T-hawk Golf R

Quote Originally Posted by Misterman View Post
    2006 SRT 300c

2012 SRT 300c

2006 GC SRT

2006 Viper SRT-10

2014 Viper GTS

My old roommate also had a 2006 Charger SRT that never gave him any problems either.

I am dying to get into a WK2 GC SRT. But the fuel mileage is just way too terrible when I'm driving 1200km a week. That's the only reason I ditched my WK1 in the first place. I loved that thing. The WK2 with its ventilated seats, heated steering wheel, heated/cooled cup holders, infotainment upgrades, would just be next level awesome. I'm actually curious how much better fuel mileage is with that 8 speed trans now?
    I got 15L/100km on the highway with my Trackhawk coming home to Calgary from Fairmont without MDS, the SRT (similar 8 speed to mine) would be better then that if you're mostly driving on the highway. On the other hand, I don't want to talk about the mileage I've been getting in the city so far......
    I like neat cars.

My Ride
    This and that.

Always liked these and the last time I came close ended up going the X5M route. Maybe will check out the SRT or TH one day. That being said even though I like overall look of the new gen better, the old gen central dual exhaust was just much better for me.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast