Quantcast
My stereo ain’t great, let’s talk upgrades. - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: My stereo ain’t great, let’s talk upgrades.

My Ride
    Faux X 4 Mall Crawler

Default My stereo ain’t great, let’s talk upgrades.

I recently bought a great Lexus lx570, from factory most left with the 19 speaker mark levinson system…mine did not. I had a CarPlay unit installed, and noticed a real lack of bass, and a lot of high end. There aren’t a lot of options to eq with the factory deck, so I’m looking at what I can upgrade.

1. Retrofitting the entire ML system isn’t an option, but mounting locations are all the same (see below for speaker location)
    2. I’m using wireless CarPlay with Spotify, my expectations aren’t audiophile level but I would like a bit more body to the sound
    3. I don’t have the factory 10” sub could buy and install the .77 sq foot housing that lives in the passenger quarter panel
    4. I haven’t measured height under the seats, but they are power/heated/cooled so I suspect an under seat sub might be hard, and not sure they even work well?
    5. I won’t add a box just sitting in the trunk, I value space over window rattling bass

What are your thoughts?

Speaker locations (this is the ML but locations are the same):
    Name:  IMG_0171.jpeg
Views: 544
Size:  44.5 KB

Factory 0.77 foot sub box:
    Name:  IMG_3717.jpg
Views: 552
Size:  334.2 KB
    Last edited by finboy; 02-27-2024 at 06:38 AM.
    sig deleted by moderator, because they are useless

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

What's the head unit?

My Ride
    Faux X 4 Mall Crawler

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What's the head unit?
    My understanding is that the base unit is a pioneer and not easily replaceable. The mark levinson head unit can be bought online but what research I’ve done leads me to believe the whole system is so integrated to the amp that individual pieces are not easy to integrate.

Note: I know near nothing on what goes into a good stereo setup, hence this thread

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

What’s the car CarPlay head unit? Or is it just a usb to wireless module you plugged into the factory head unit?

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

So I'm not a stereo expert, but there big factory systems are the hardest to make better for cheap.

Speaker's and amps shoukd be matched in terms of power output and handling. You can't just throw any old better speakers in and get a good result. The "best" speakers, will need more power than your stock HU puts out.

How many speakers are in this current setup? Not 17? If it was a 4 speaker system, I'd say get some high sensitivity mid-proce speakers and call it a day, but that seems less good for 17, or 13 or whatever you have.

My Ride
    *The First*

Join the Club Lexus forum and check the LX570 __gen sub forum.
    I'm not positive but I don't think the ML speaker locations are the same as the other.
    https://www.clublexus.com/forums/lx-...1996-2007-202/

My Ride
    Faux X 4 Mall Crawler

Quote Originally Posted by ThePenIsMightier View Post
    Join the Club Lexus forum and check the LX570 __gen sub forum.
    I'm not positive but I don't think the ML speaker locations are the same as the other.
    https://www.clublexus.com/forums/lx-...1996-2007-202/
    Locations (3 dash, each door, 2 tailgate) all line up, but the number of speakers is less at each location. Instead of 19 total, there are 9, with one speaker trying to do the work covering thu audio spectrum. Sadly both ih8mud and clublexus have very little detail on the base 9 speaker systems, with most threads pointing to the ML system (and issues with amps), so getting a lot of detail is challenging. Even Lexus didn’t publish much on the 9 speaker system, most of their press releases and brochures speak to the ML 450 watt system as well.

The only quote I’ve found is as follows, obviously dated as the 570 doesn’t have cassette so might be lx470 specific:
    The standard audio system is Lexus Premium Audio, which includes digital AM/FM tuner with auto-reverse cassette; in-dash 6CD changer to support MP3 and other digital files; MP3/iPod input plug; digital sound processing (DSP) with seven-channel, 312-watt output; nine speakers; and automatic sound leveling.
    CarPlay is via grom audio vlite adapter, it offers wired and wireless CarPlay and integrates it into the factory system via wired connection.
    Last edited by finboy; 02-27-2024 at 09:13 AM.

Go back to the OEM head unit and get an interface unit from PAC and the like. Output to a DSP with time alignment. Go two way/three way active for you front stage, not rear fill and round it out with a JL 10TW3 or 12TW3 in the factory location sealed in a custom box. You can go with a Vxi amp from JL that has a built in DSP but that complicates things if you go three way front as you will need two amps.

$3k and will best any and all versions of OEM offerings and sound amazing.

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

I'm kind of going through this myself so I feel your pain. I bought a 16 year old beater last fall and holy shit does the stereo suck. I'm not needing the audiophile experience either, but driving around with a bluetooth speaker or headphones would actually be a huge step up from what I'm getting now. In my case the factory head unit and amp are known to be the weak points and it's not uncommon for the amps to have died by this point; it's pretty much expected. The previous owner upgraded the head unit to a new Pioneer one, so my first order of business is to put in a new amp in the spring and see where it goes from there.

Your first limitation sounds like you're stuck with the head unit as it's not easily replaceable. If that's the case, check to see if there is a factory amp and add one/replace it. If upgrading the head unit is not an option, you may have to find an amp that accepts high-level inputs so the head unit can send signals to the amp as most factory head units don't have RCA outputs. A lot of amps accept high-level inputs, but some don't so watch out for that.

If you're happy with the mids and highs and just want to add some bass, that sub box seems to be a nice option as it just slides into a factory location and everything might be prewired already. But keep in mind the factory sub box is designed specifically for the sub it was supposed to come with. A lot of subs require a certain range of internal volume to sound their best so sometimes it's not just a simple matter of just getting whatever sub and slapping it in. It could sound like crap if that box doesn't have enough volume. I'm going to assume by ".77 sq foot" you mean ".77 cubic feet of volume". It's been a while since I've done any car audio so I can't remember if this is a common amount of internal volume for a sealed sub. Hopefully it is so you have a lot of options to work with.

Another thing to consider is if the sub box fits a real 10" sub or some weird 9ish" sized sub that everyone's just rounding up to. If not, you may have to get an adapter and size down to an 8" sub.

Alternatively, and this could be more work, another option is just to upgrade the speakers if the sub route is overkill and power these with an amp. Just cause there's 9 or 19 speaker locations doesn't mean you have to upgrade (or even use) them all. Usually just the key ones, like the front left/right and rear left/right channels (if you drive with passengers in the back). Sometimes a decent 6.5" can provide sufficient bass without needing a sub, especially since we're not teenagers anymore. Again, if your factory speaker locations use weird custom sizes, that could also limit what you can upgrade without major/permanent modifications. Generally speaking, the most common speaker sizes are 4", 5.25", 6.5", and 6x9". It's fucking annoying when factory speakers are weird sizes like 5" or 6" so you gotta buy one size down and mount them with adapters.

Or get a Trackhawk.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

speaker upgrades alone CAN be good enough. Just have to do some digging about speakers with enough sensitivity for the low power stock system.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Quote Originally Posted by D'z Nutz View Post
    Or get a Trackhawk.
    Why listen to music when you can listen to the rumble of the TH.

I wish I had a "guy" in Calgary that I could go to in the future for this specific sort of car audio issue. Way, way back in the day, a guy I met from lifting/gym worked out of Visions, Rob Willis, and he was excellent. Did so may of my cars and trucks, let me hang out in the shop while he worked a few times, and showed me exactly what did what/etc with all aspects of swapping out factory audio with better OTS components. Stealth, RX7, 300zx, Z71, ZR2 - plus at least several others, all in just a couple years.

If you find someone that is able to hook you up with your Lexus Finboy, or if you do it yourself, I'd like to know more, as again, I have a similar issue ATM with an older vehicle that's a keeper, buy has terrible factory audio - nails across chalkboard bad.
    Last edited by Gman.45; 02-27-2024 at 03:21 PM.

My Ride
    Faux X 4 Mall Crawler

Awesome input guys, appreciate all of it! When the weather improves I might start popping off speaker covers to get more info on what I’m actually working with, checking out stock amp, etc. but all this advice has been a great starting point. Not being able to set the EQ with the factory unit has been frustrating as I suspect it would certainly help, but then again it’s 2008 technology so can’t expect everything we get today.

Edit - sub box is .77 cubic feet because the world is 3d (I really need to proof read my threads). It’s actually the same box for the land cruiser which uses an 8” sub in place of the Lexus 10”, an adapter ring is used in place.
    Last edited by finboy; 02-27-2024 at 04:23 PM.

My Ride
    TRD Pro

Maybe worth checking out Beat Sonic and OEM Audio to see if they have any offerings... They normally have a lot of Toyota/Lexus items. LX could be tough though!

My Ride
    Faux X 4 Mall Crawler

Quote Originally Posted by R-Audi View Post
    Maybe worth checking out Beat Sonic and OEM Audio to see if they have any offerings... They normally have a lot of Toyota/Lexus items. LX could be tough though!
    The vlite gives me CarPlay, this is more of a hardware being outdated

If you’re ever in Okotoks, swing by Visions one of the managers there owns a 2000 celsior with a fully upgraded system. I believe his name is Spencer, really nice guy and really knows his Lexus /Toyotas, if anything he could at least give you some ideas.

On a side note, how do you like the Grom? I have a 16 GS350 and it would be nice to have CarPlay.

My Ride
    Faux X 4 Mall Crawler

Much appreciated on the name! I actually really like the grom, the screen certainly shows its age but all carplay functions work as expected.

My Ride
    F10M/F87/NA2/W220/V90/E46ZHP/SE3P/DC2

You shouldve talked to Autotech when you were at urban. That Gold LX belongs to the owner of Autotech so he'll know it inside out. Wicked place for installations and parts too.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Autotech guy is legit.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    V8s

Quote Originally Posted by Team_Mclaren View Post
    That Gold LX belongs to the owner of Autotech so he'll know it inside out.
    That's an interesting tidbit.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast