Quantcast
Class 1 Truck Drivers - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Class 1 Truck Drivers

My Ride
    2021 Zonda CRV

Default Class 1 Truck Drivers

Mods please move if not in the right forum.
    Are there any Class 1 Truck drivers on this forum..?

If so, can you send me a pm please?

My Ride
    Ford, Acura

What would you like to know? I've had my class once for 12 years and drove for about 8 of those. Still do some grain hauling from time to time
    Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    ...Last thing I want is someone reading my posts and losing their cock over it...
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugarphreak
    Meh, they all look like Jackie Chan to me
    Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    I'm generally cute.

I’m pretty much in the same boat as schurchill.
    Still deal with drivers on a daily basis

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

I had my class 1 from 17 till 22 I think before I just let it expire and drop to a 3.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

My Ride
    '19 GTI

I don't have my class 1, but have been dealing with Class 1 drivers for the past 5+ years...
    Currently managing safety for a large team of drivers if that helps

My Ride
    2021 Zonda CRV

Thanks for PM guys. Much appreciated.

Looking at possibility of changing careers(again).
    Needed some insight.
    I know the Class 1 training program has changed to MELT.

My Ride
    99 Blazer

Are you looking at getting it now? I've had mine for awhile, I'm not sure I'd get it now with the new law and cost, especially if you're gonna be a driver in the city. Get a class 3 and make the same money.

Last edited by Rat Fink; 12-06-2020 at 05:11 PM.
    Thanks for the 14 years of LOLs. Govern yourselves accordingly and avoid uppercut reactions!

My Ride
    2011 lexus is250 awd

I have a class 2. If you're looking into a driving career why not consider transit. At least you'll get to go home every night
    BTW you only need a class 5 with Q, they train you for a class 2 if your hired

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by Asian_defender View Post
    I have a class 2. If you're looking into a driving career why not consider transit. At least you'll get to go home every night
    BTW you only need a class 5 with Q, they train you for a class 2 if your hired
    Transit is a way better job than heavy truck. I'm sure that once you consider benefits and pension, the total pay is higher and you'll sleep in your own bed every night. Plus after a few years you will have sufficient seniority to choose your shifts. Plus it's a pretty secure job once you have some seniority too.

My Ride
    2011 lexus is250 awd

Top Rate for Bus (40ft and above) is just under $36, Train is $40
    3 pay scales and you move up 1 pay scale every 1900 hours until you hit cap. I think its roughly 3-4 years before you hit top rate

My Ride
    changes daily :D

knowing just enough about both industries to keep me out of both, it brings two different points to mind. trucking, you're by yourself and the responsibility to make on the fly decisions is left up to you. Great if you know how to adapt, but with the cut throat rates it's difficult to accomplish everything LEGALLY. I *almost* became a transit operator, until watching what they have to endure shift after shift. stupid traffic, stupid people, druggies, and horrible hours to start kept me away. even if you make it up to train operator it still isn't a very fun job.

My Ride
    2021 Zonda CRV

Quote Originally Posted by Black Gts View Post
    Are you looking at getting it now? I've had mine for awhile, I'm not sure I'd get it now with the new law and cost, especially if you're gonna be a driver in the city. Get a class 3 and make the same money.
    Im keeping my options open. Im at my wits end.
    Ive had some good advice form people on here. Many thanks to those who reached out. I was talked out of it by a family member because of my education.

My current career path is mission impossible. I have had no real support in my current role, its like I was set up to fail. Im probably getting laid off August.
    There are a lot of people that just did enough at entry level to secure a mid level position that allowed them to dictate to the rest of us how to do sales and investments. But they don't have a clue, neither does anyone have any real Banking experience.

A friend from the UK also had trouble securing work. He gave up and went the class 1 route a few years back. He is doing pretty well.

Transit is a way better job than heavy truck. I'm sure that once you consider benefits and pension, the total pay is higher and you'll sleep in your own bed every night. Plus after a few years you will have sufficient seniority to choose your shifts. Plus it's a pretty secure job once you have some seniority too.
    Technically I don't qualify for a entry level transit position..
    City of Calgary posting (i.e transit) are written in a clever way to predominately favour Canadians born in Canada.

I can 'Apply'. Even though im a Canadian citizen, my application is really eliminated from the process as my UK Highschool, College and Degree is not recognized as being Canadian high school equivalent. The process to have my qualifications examined is 22 weeks from the date they are picked up from the pile.
    So if I ever made it though the city process, I would not qualify as I would not have my qualifications assessed in time. Its bizzare because the whole immigration process was a points based system that required me to have high school, college, university and working experience before I could even immigrate. Even the citizenship test required a English tests which I got around because I was able to prove I was from the UK with a University degree. It was a case of 'must I really do this..?' (fun fact, I did the citizenship test in 7 mins and I got full marks)

I have seen my city Councillor about the job postings. I want this issue raised with the city. Ive provided evidence that other countries have a better system(ahem the UK). I highlighted at the meeting what we all speak English and they can understand me perfect. I pointed out that Councillor could apply for that job, his assistant can, so can I. But despite jumping through so many immigrants hoops that took over 5 years. Even though I am a citizen Unlike them) I am eliminated from the process. What sense is that?
    Even worse, I know people who work in related roles to that. They barley finished highschool or can hardly put a coherent English sentence together.

So we will see what happens.

But Im looking a options in case of a worse case scenario. Hence the Class 1.

My Ride
    Ford, Acura

Just as we discussed I think you should take a trip with your friend with the class 1 and see what its like. Education aside I think it would be worth exploring in a few of the different ways we chatted about before dropping any money on it. If you feel that your education isn't taking you anywhere due to the bureaucracy and red tape, then really there is nothing to stop you from investigating it. Not to mention the income potential is up there with lots of white collar jobs anyways.

I know if I didn't have a family and this engineering thing didn't work out I would very seriously consider long hauling.
    Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    ...Last thing I want is someone reading my posts and losing their cock over it...
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugarphreak
    Meh, they all look like Jackie Chan to me
    Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    I'm generally cute.

YYC & a huge farm in the (deep) south, central Sask
    My Ride
    12 cars trucks & bikes. From 1938 till new.

I have my class 1 and 6. Message me if you want
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side"