Quantcast
Official C8 Corvette Thread - Page 9 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 9 of 20 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 19 ... LastLast
Results 161 to 180 of 398

Thread: Official C8 Corvette Thread

  1. #161
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    GLA
    Posts
    1,744
    Rep Power
    24

    Default

    good luck with the "no attention" bit.

  2. #162
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    Leduc, Alberta
    Posts
    262
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    We can agree of course that the Viper didn't have a V8 model. But "base model" by convention is simply the least expensive of multiple versions. So the Viper had a "base model"...but that's just a matter of definition and who cares. GM could have put a V6 in the Vette and had a new "base model" but chose not to. The Vetter and the Viper were tackling different markets and had different purposes. The Vette has done this successfully because they know there is a large market for people who want something more than a mustang/camaro/370, but can't get into 100k plus territory. This is smart market positioning. The Viper's problem is that its pricing put it into territory with some tough competition. I like Vipers, but it suffers from the problem of "why buy a Viper for $XXX, when you could get this car over here for the same, or this car over here for a bit more." It sells in similar volumes to the Z06 for the same reasons: it's too compromised. Not enough comfort, not enough luxury, not enough brand cachet. The people with the money to buy them, who have other options without so many desirable pieces missing, are few and far between.
    Well I'm glad that we can agree now after your argument about semantics.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Sky View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't believe the street will be flood with C8s as most people couldn't afford it, not allowed to buy it or don't have a space to park it. So no worries guys! Congratulations to those who will buy this and I will never get bored seeing this on the road.

    With the same price point as the C6's and C7's, and how abundant they are, I have a feeling you'll be seeing more of these on the streets than you expect.

  3. #163
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    GLA
    Posts
    1,744
    Rep Power
    24

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Misterman View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Well I'm glad that we can agree now after your argument about semantics.

    - - - Updated - - -


    You were the one that claimed we disagreed.

    I still maintain that the Viper was actually at least $20k overpriced for what you got. Perhaps more. Maxt's discussion about the dealer experience was also interesting. I think I've only ever been in Chrysler/Dodge dealer once, to look at the new Durango a couple of years ago. It was terrible and we left before even looking at a car seriously.

  4. #164
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    Silverado
    Posts
    2,391
    Rep Power
    16

    Default

    I also heard that historically over 50% of corvettes sold were automatics. Looking at autotrader today. 67 autos, 77 manuals. Manual only may have cost the viper many customers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gestalt View Post
    Im the one with a learning disability....

  5. #165
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    Leduc, Alberta
    Posts
    262
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You were the one that claimed we disagreed.
    No that was you.

    Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I dont think that's why the Viper didnt succeed.

    Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I still maintain that the Viper was actually at least $20k overpriced for what you got. Perhaps more. Maxt's discussion about the dealer experience was also interesting. I think I've only ever been in Chrysler/Dodge dealer once, to look at the new Durango a couple of years ago. It was terrible and we left before even looking at a car seriously.
    I can understand why someone might say they were overpriced. For the first year of GenV they actually were overpriced, because they were tacking on 15k of sales price to fund the race team that won the lemans series that year. But after that when they dropped the sticker 15k and cancelled the race team, it's just a bench racer comment about them being over priced. But like I say, I understand the sentiment if someone doesn't have much insight into the car. For a little extra money over a Z06 you were getting essentially a hand built car, with WAY nicer interior containing premium materials, and a hand painted car instead of an orange peeled robot painted Vette. So the value is there, just maybe not when purely comparing 0-60 and lap times.

  6. #166
    Join Date
    Jun 1987
    Location
    SK
    My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)
    Posts
    2,924
    Rep Power
    42

    Default

    Mister, you're one more pointlessly prolonged argument away from being on the ignore list, man.

    lol
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.

  7. #167
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    GLA
    Posts
    1,744
    Rep Power
    24

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Misterman View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    No that was you.






    I can understand why someone might say they were overpriced. For the first year of GenV they actually were overpriced, because they were tacking on 15k of sales price to fund the race team that won the lemans series that year. But after that when they dropped the sticker 15k and cancelled the race team, it's just a bench racer comment about them being over priced. But like I say, I understand the sentiment if someone doesn't have much insight into the car. For a little extra money over a Z06 you were getting essentially a hand built car, with WAY nicer interior containing premium materials, and a hand painted car instead of an orange peeled robot painted Vette. So the value is there, just maybe not when purely comparing 0-60 and lap times.
    I'd take a Viper over a Z06 every single time for all of the reasons you mentioned. Vastly more interesting car. I think Viper enthusiasts would have been better served by Chrysler taking a more mass market approach to the cars than they did - both on a product front and a dealer experience front.

  8. #168
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    GLA
    Posts
    1,744
    Rep Power
    24

    Default

    for those that have talked to the dealers...how are they going to allow us to demo which seats we want?

  9. #169
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    N/A V8, TTV6, DOHC N/A V6
    Posts
    2,397
    Rep Power
    19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    for those that have talked to the dealers...how are they going to allow us to demo which seats we want?
    They aren’t. It’ll be luck of the draw which one happens to be on the lot.

    GT1 is for long distance fat guys, that’s said the Competition spec will be highly bolstered, but wide (speculation).

    Seems only Ford builds real tight recaros for the American market (GT350).
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age."

    -H.P. Lovecraft

    Kim Kardashian Sex tape:
    Originally posted by hadookin
    nice box... to bad that nigs face is in it

  10. #170
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    Leduc, Alberta
    Posts
    262
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    for those that have talked to the dealers...how are they going to allow us to demo which seats we want?
    Seems like with the buzz people will be ordering these sight unseen at first. Roll the dice!!

  11. #171
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Technically the NE
    My Ride
    ‘Berta Special
    Posts
    4,277
    Rep Power
    19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    for those that have talked to the dealers...how are they going to allow us to demo which seats we want?
    You put a deposit in?
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

    If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.

  12. #172
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Okanagan
    My Ride
    K-car
    Posts
    1,836
    Rep Power
    13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    for those that have talked to the dealers...how are they going to allow us to demo which seats we want?
    Dealer told me "good luck getting one for the first 2 model years". Anyway, apparently allotment for Canadian dealers is >10 cars for 2020 model year. Going to be a hard car to buy for a bit I think.

  13. #173
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta
    My Ride
    2016 MB C450
    Posts
    8,155
    Rep Power
    25

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Misterman View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    With the same price point as the C6's and C7's, and how abundant they are, I have a feeling you'll be seeing more of these on the streets than you expect.
    If you think C7 is common, GM is about to double shifts for C8.

  14. #174
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Victoria Park
    My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom
    Posts
    3,444
    Rep Power
    21

    Default

    The only thing I don't like is how there is this cheap aesthetic look both the C7 and C8's have. Looks good from far away, but as you go up close, the glossy cheap looking plastic trim is hard to ignore. I wish they didn't make it look so cheap, even though it is value based performance.

  15. #175
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    A Gallardo from SDS (hahahaha)
    Posts
    502
    Rep Power
    11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Disoblige View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The only thing I don't like is how there is this cheap aesthetic look both the C7 and C8's have. Looks good from far away, but as you go up close, the glossy cheap looking plastic trim is hard to ignore. I wish they didn't make it look so cheap, even though it is value based performance.
    GM seems to have addressed those concerns with the C8. In the release, it notes that all interior surfaces will be covered in leather, alcantara, carbon fibre or some other "real" material, i.e. no more plastic. Guess we'll see, but that would be a huge step in the right direction and address one of the major shortcomings of previous generations of Corvette.

  16. #176
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Technically the NE
    My Ride
    ‘Berta Special
    Posts
    4,277
    Rep Power
    19

    Default

    See I think they should stop pretending the inside of a corvette is supposed to be a nice place to be and strip it all out racecar style.

    Same opinion I had of the Demon, why do they even bother.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

    If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.

  17. #177
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    calgary.ab.ca
    My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon
    Posts
    7,342
    Rep Power
    23

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

    Same opinion I had of the Demon, why do they even bother.
    Cause as seen even on beyond some people think Chrysler makes luxury vehicles

  18. #178
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    2017 Civic Hatch ST
    Posts
    9,716
    Rep Power
    27

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Disoblige View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The only thing I don't like is how there is this cheap aesthetic look both the C7 and C8's have. Looks good from far away, but as you go up close, the glossy cheap looking plastic trim is hard to ignore. I wish they didn't make it look so cheap, even though it is value based performance.
    That is how they keep the cost so low - they offer great performance, then cut corners everywhere else. If it was as good as a $2-300K car it would probably have to cost a lot more. That's a compromise I think a lot of people are OK with though, at the very reasonable (relatively speaking) price point. I've got to believe it wouldn't cost them THAT much to just put a decent interior in it though, but who knows.

    For me, the DCT is the best thing they could have done for this car. The automatics were horrid (in the ones I've driven) and stick shifts seem to get less popular every year. In a few years and ~$50K on the used market these will be even more attractive IMO. Biggest downside is probably that you will see them everywhere, but I imagine most buyers don't really care that much.

    Nobody has driven, let alone sat in this car yet though so I would take all the predictions (including mine) with a grain of salt

  19. #179
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Victoria Park
    My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom
    Posts
    3,444
    Rep Power
    21

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The automatics were horrid (in the ones I've driven) and stick shifts seem to get less popular every year.
    What other automatic Corvettes have you driven other than the 2009 Corvette you rented a decade ago that you always mention when there is a conversation about transmissions?

  20. #180
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    Two from Freemont
    Posts
    9,033
    Rep Power
    28

    Default

    I doubt this will sell better than the current Corvette. It will be the same.

    Die hards won't like the paradigm shift. Enthusiast won't put their money where their mouth. Wagons being a perfect example.

    Most people can't live with a 2 door coupe with a small trunk. Doesn't matter if the engine is in the front, back or middle.
    My Tesla referral link: https://ts.la/moon14483

Page 9 of 20 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 19 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. 2011 Corvette Grand Sport vs Modified C5 Corvette

    By trev0006 in forum Cars, Bikes, Machines
    Replies: 1
    Latest Threads: 09-16-2010, 02:31 PM
  2. Replies: 45
    Latest Threads: 02-19-2010, 10:26 AM
  3. 1973 Corvette Stingray vs Corvette Z06

    By trev0006 in forum Cars, Bikes, Machines
    Replies: 1
    Latest Threads: 04-01-2008, 01:50 PM
  4. 2005 C6 Corvette vs. 2001 Corvette Z06 video!

    By cityhunter2501 in forum Cars, Bikes, Machines
    Replies: 2
    Latest Threads: 09-19-2004, 01:23 AM
  5. Corvette ZR-1 vs. Corvette C5 video

    By trev0006 in forum Cars, Bikes, Machines
    Replies: 0
    Latest Threads: 06-06-2004, 08:27 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •