Quantcast
Official C8 Corvette Thread - Page 10 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 10 of 29 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 20 ... LastLast

Thread: Official C8 Corvette Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Disoblige View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What other automatic Corvettes have you driven other than the 2009 Corvette you rented a decade ago that you always mention when there is a conversation about transmissions?
    That I always mention? A wee bit dramatic don't you think I've brought it up a few times in the appropriate threads/context or when asked, yes - no different than anyone else.

Aside from that one I've driven 2 C7's and they were autos. 2014 and 2017 if memory serves me. What you're thinking of is the one I rented. I've ridden in several more, but was not able to drive them.

My Ride
    has a stick axle

Last edited by KRyn; 03-11-2022 at 11:04 AM.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    I think I've only ever been in Chrysler/Dodge dealer once, to look at the new Durango a couple of years ago. It was terrible and we left before even looking at a car seriously.
    That's because Dodge is terrible...

Name:  tenor.gif
Views: 273
Size:  970.3 KB
    Ultracrepidarian

Quote Originally Posted by KRyn View Post
    Which automatic transmissions do you like?
    The autos in Mercedes' more recent AMG product in general are probably some of the best I have experienced. Other times you can have an otherwise good transmission but with bad programming.

I much prefer DCTs, hence my earlier comments that I am very excited the C8 is getting a DCT, to the point that I would seriously consider one sometime down the road if it checks the rest of my boxes.

My Ride
    K-car

The 8 speed in the C7 wasn't a very good auto transmission imo.

My Ride
    992 T-hawk Golf R

C7 8-speed slush box automatic shifts faster then Porsche PDK but that’s not good enough for Beyond! I love it! (Yes, the article references the Z06.)

https://www.motorauthority.com/news/...-pdk-heres-how

The old 6-speed auto in my wagon is also a much better transmission then the auto in my buddies 2014 E63.
    Last edited by 90_Shelby; 07-24-2019 at 05:18 PM.
    I like neat cars.

My Ride
    General Motors Competizione

2007 GMC 2500 Duramax
    1981 GMC C1500 454

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by 90_Shelby View Post
    C7 8-speed slush box automatic shifts faster then Porsche PDK but that’s not good enough for Beyond! I love it! (Yes, the article references the Z06.)

https://www.motorauthority.com/news/...-pdk-heres-how

The old 6-speed auto in my wagon is also a much better transmission then the auto in my buddies 2014 E63.
    To be fair, shift speed and reaction speed (time between when I click the paddle to when it actually engages new gear) are 2 completely separate things that one would quantify transmission quality and performance. Even the AMG slush boxes couldn’t get close to DCT/PDK reaction speeds until 2 years ago. So much so that the SLS and AMG GT dct was specifically programmed to slow reaction speeds on purpose to feel more like AMGs slushboxes. A moot point in auto mode as the car would predict when to shift anyways, but a huge problem in manual mode.

I’ve never driven the vette auto so not sure if that’s the case but just wanted to point this out.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    ute

Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You put a deposit in?
    No. I dont need to be an early adopter on the Vette. Better to wait a few months (year?) and pick one up when supply has freed up.

It's more causing a problem with my next car decision. How do you justify 2x or 2.5x on a Mclaren which is better, but not a ton better?

No. I dont need to be an early adopter on the Vette. Better to wait a few months (year?) and pick one up when supply has freed up.

It's more causing a problem with my next car decision. How do you justify 2x or 2.5x on a Mclaren which is better, but not a ton better?
    What could you do to a C8 with those saved monies, could it be enough to not do a McLaren?
    Will fuck off, again.

My Ride
    This and that.

Well I mean that's like saying why would you spend $40K + on a Patek or a Rolex when you could get a Hamilton for $1K or a Citizen quartz watch for $100? I mean they all tell the time equally - well more or less. lol. If Mclaren is an option the Corvette shouldn't even be in the same running I would say. Each conveys a completely different message regardless of them performing similarly. The brand is what you're paying the double/triple for not the betterment in performance. My opinion of course.
    Last edited by shakalaka; 07-25-2019 at 12:36 AM.

My Ride
    ute

Quote Originally Posted by shakalaka View Post
    Well I mean that's like saying why would you spend $40K + on a Patek or a Rolex when you could get a Hamilton for $1K or a Citizen quartz watch for $100? I mean they all tell the time equally - well more or less. lol. If Mclaren is an option the Corvette shouldn't even be in the same running I would say. Each conveys a completely different message regardless of them performing similarly. The brand is what you're paying the double/triple for not the betterment in performance. My opinion of course.
    It's a worthwhile comparison. The difference is that you drive a car, and you only really look at a watch. I don't care that much about brand when it comes to cars. I'll buy something based on the experience regardless of the label. Cars exist in a weird space between experience, design, and engineering. There are MANY more factors to consider with a car than with a watch. Watches all tell time the same, but cars are experienced much differently from each other.

There are some compelling reasons for a Vette over a Mclaren. Cost is obviously one. But general reliability, warranty, dealership convenience, easy to flip in a couple of years, big NA V8, modern amenities, more storage for weekend trips.

I've had Vettes in the past (C6 Z06), so I'm not opposed to the idea. But I hadn't considered them recently. But the fact that this car is making me pause about my next car purchase speaks volumes about what they (seem to) have accomplished.

My Ride
    This and that.

It's definitely a pretty impressive car based on what we can tell so far. No doubt about that. I guess I just personally wouldn't draw that comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    To be fair, shift speed and reaction speed (time between when I click the paddle to when it actually engages new gear) are 2 completely separate things that one would quantify transmission quality and performance. Even the AMG slush boxes couldn’t get close to DCT/PDK reaction speeds until 2 years ago. So much so that the SLS and AMG GT dct was specifically programmed to slow reaction speeds on purpose to feel more like AMGs slushboxes. A moot point in auto mode as the car would predict when to shift anyways, but a huge problem in manual mode.

I’ve never driven the vette auto so not sure if that’s the case but just wanted to point this out.
    The actual behavior of the transmission(tuning) is a big factor too. I don't care how fast it shifts, if it is never in the right gear, or downshifting at weird times, etc.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

My hope is to be able to pick up a sweet Z06 for pennies on the dollar or something once this drop
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by shakalaka View Post
    It's a worthwhile comparison. The difference is that you drive a car, and you only really look at a watch. I don't care that much about brand when it comes to cars. I'll buy something based on the experience regardless of the label. Cars exist in a weird space between experience, design, and engineering. There are MANY more factors to consider with a car than with a watch. Watches all tell time the same, but cars are experienced much differently from each other.
    That's a terrible comparison. Patek's typically maintain or gain value, while a Citizen is worthless.

A better comparison to McLaren is Hublot hahaha.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Quote Originally Posted by Xtrema View Post
    If you think C7 is common, GM is about to double shifts for C8.
    The car will be sold all over the world now since they are also making a RHD version, so even if they double production I still think the car won't be much more common in North America than the C7 is.

My Ride
    Pt Cruiser

I’m going to get one at launch

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by Ukyo8 View Post
    The car will be sold all over the world now since they are also making a RHD version, so even if they double production I still think the car won't be much more common in North America than the C7 is.
    Is allocation really at 10 units for all of Canada for the 2020 model?

Quote Originally Posted by Misterman View Post
    The actual behavior of the transmission(tuning) is a big factor too. I don't care how fast it shifts, if it is never in the right gear, or downshifting at weird times, etc.
    This is a problem with a lot of vehicles and is why I mentioned this exact thing in my previous post - anyone can go out and buy the ZF 8spd that is in almost everything these days or the best auto tranny in the world but if the programming is shit or if there is a lot of paddle delay, it doesn't matter how fast the shifts are, it can still be very unpleasant to drive. Even MB used to have the most brutal paddle delay, but they have got much better in the recent iterations IMO.

Page 10 of 29 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 20 ... LastLast