Quantcast
Official C8 Corvette Thread - Page 18 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 18 of 29 FirstFirst ... 8 17 18 19 28 ... LastLast

Thread: Official C8 Corvette Thread

My Ride
    *The First*

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yes, but then again, the market for a $400,000 car is probably 1/20th that of a $100,000 car, so the profit potential is smaller, even if profit per unit is higher.
    Sorry. Maybe I'm misunderstanding you, or you're misunderstanding me.
    I'm saying that they should, maybe, have the potential to produce a car that is literally comparable quality in every way to a Ferrari for roughly $100k and still make acceptable profit from their GM biz model.
    Instead, it appears (and this remains to be seen) that they've produced arguably comparable performance and then fallen on their face in fit/finish/art so in many ways, it pales in comparison.

The opportunity is there for them to refine this c8 to the extent that it literally is offering a competitor to a Huracan or a Portofino (or better). But if the interior looks like a 350z or a Cobalt... Then they're, as someone else stated, "punching above their weight class, WITH AN ASTERISK".

Look at the Nissan GTR. It's consistently smoking some legit supercars but because so many feel it's hideous and its interior is a mess of plastic, it keeps getting panned. While I disagree, it's still a fact in terms of marketplace perception.
    The Ferrari brand and their continuous efforts to maintain that exclusivity is an incredibly powerful effect. I think they are up there with McDonald's and Coca-Cola in brand power and that's an inconceivable feat that has taken decades of focused effort to achieve.

My Ride
    Silverado

From what I've heard Ferrari doesn't have great fit and finish.

My Ride
    N/A V8, TTV6, DOHC N/A V6

Quote Originally Posted by ThePenIsMightier View Post
    Sorry. Maybe I'm misunderstanding you, or you're misunderstanding me.
    I'm saying that they should, maybe, have the potential to produce a car that is literally comparable quality in every way to a Ferrari for roughly $100k and still make acceptable profit from their GM biz model.
    Instead, it appears (and this remains to be seen) that they've produced arguably comparable performance and then fallen on their face in fit/finish/art so in many ways, it pales in comparison.

The opportunity is there for them to refine this c8 to the extent that it literally is offering a competitor to a Huracan or a Portofino (or better). But if the interior looks like a 350z or a Cobalt... Then they're, as someone else stated, "punching above their weight class, WITH AN ASTERISK".

Look at the Nissan GTR. It's consistently smoking some legit supercars but because so many feel it's hideous and its interior is a mess of plastic, it keeps getting panned. While I disagree, it's still a fact in terms of marketplace perception.
    The Ferrari brand and their continuous efforts to maintain that exclusivity is an incredibly powerful effect. I think they are up there with McDonald's and Coca-Cola in brand power and that's an inconceivable feat that has taken decades of focused effort to achieve.
    GTRs interior is pretty good for its age? Big revamp in 2017.
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age."

-H.P. Lovecraft

My Ride

https://jalopnik.com/the-corvette-c8...a-s-1838947143

If it remains 5.5L I’m estimating 600hp and around 450 tq, in street clothes.

Looks like I’m sold.
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age."

-H.P. Lovecraft

My Ride
    *The First*

Quote Originally Posted by Darkane View Post
    GTRs interior is pretty good for its age? Big revamp in 2017.
    I'm not speaking for myself, I've just heard a lot of negativity about more superficial aspects which detracts the focus from it kicking the shit out of cars that are fully $100k more.

The C8 starts at $72,000 CAD
    Why does everyone keep comparing it to Ferrari's and 911's

It's literally priced on par with a loaded 3-series BMW while providing mountains more performance compared to anything else in that price range.

People always seem to find something to complain about

My Ride
    ute

Quote Originally Posted by Ukyo8 View Post
    The C8 starts at $72,000 CAD
    Why does everyone keep comparing it to Ferrari's and 911's

It's literally priced on par with a loaded 3-series BMW while providing mountains more performance compared to anything else in that price range.

People always seem to find something to complain about
    It's real a compliment and not a complaint

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

I really need to see this car in person to make any further judgement.

Also.. I wonder how possible it is to get one under MSRP. Perhaps from a smaller dealer in Alberta that can still sell Corvettes.

Quote Originally Posted by Disoblige View Post

Also.. I wonder how possible it is to get one under MSRP. Perhaps from a smaller dealer in Alberta that can still sell Corvettes.
    Good luck, most dealers have about X3-X4 more deposits than actual allocations for cars.

My Ride
    ute

Quote Originally Posted by Disoblige View Post

it'll be a year after first delivery for you to get that kind of pricing.

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    it'll be a year after first delivery for you to get that kind of pricing.
    If you live closer to some Northern dealer with some prior connections, may get one for slightly under MSRP. But agree it will likely be a year or so in general.

It's regular production so I'm not worried. Would rather see some on the road during the spring/summer anyways.

Road & Track tested the C8....and it does not sound very encouraging. Most disappointing is they think the transmission is not even close to as good as the competition. Handling is markedly worse than a 6-year-old C7 Z51, and braking is also worse than the old C7. Fast in a straight line though with then new gearing that needs 3 shifts for 60mph:

https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-car...st-drive-test/

It'll probably get better over time, but I wouldn't want to be an early adopter of this one.

My Ride

General Motorstrend liked it.

https://www.motortrend.com/cars/chev...urce=instagram

Too much understeer, but man is it fast!

2.8, 11.1@123.

Like shit, that mph it has to be a ringer. It has to be in the 530hp area.

-H.P. Lovecraft

My Ride
    Pt Cruiser

Doesn't look to sharp from the videos I've seen, tons of body roll and sloppy handling. I'm sure it goes fast in a straight line though.

My Ride
    ute

Sounds like they made this first version for the old-man boulevard cruiser set. How disappointing. GM has some of the best chassis/handling guys in the business and they basically asked them to make something mediocre. I'm not surper surprised.

But my interest level is pretty low.

My Ride
    General Motors Competizione

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    It'll probably get better over time, but I wouldn't want to be an early adopter of this one.
    Mitsu3000gt disapproving of a domestic car? Shocking news. Lucky I was sitting down.
    2007 GMC 2500 Duramax
    1981 GMC C1500 454

Quote Originally Posted by SKR View Post
    Mitsu3000gt disapproving of a domestic car? Shocking news. Lucky I was sitting down.
    No quotes for all the other people in this thread who have posted similar things? Shocking news.

Had you bothered to read the thread, you'd see that I actually quite like it. Your reading is awfully selective.

Why not write Road & Track a letter? They are the ones who didn't seem to like it.

My Ride
    Touareg, Cayenne, 944s

It does look very softly sprung, especially the rear. That would help it hook up on exit and for the straight-line dig from a stop. I'm sure some new springs could re-balance it to drive more like the way it looks like it should.

My Ride
    General Motors Competizione

No quotes for all the other people in this thread who have posted similar things? Shocking news.

Had you bothered to read the thread, you'd see that I actually quite like it. Your reading is awfully selective.

Why not write Road & Track a letter? They are the ones who didn't seem to like it.
    Maybe I'm wrong, so let's look.

Decent styling and a DCT, good job Chevy.

Only thing I don't like is that horrible looking infotainment screen that looks like someone hot-glued it on there.

Sure wouldn't want to be the guy who owns a 2018-19 vette.

Only problem is you will probably see these everywhere haha.
    If I recall that thread correctly, everyone told him not to buy that car haha.

Buying any end of life car at a high price is dumb IMHO - you know something better is coming very soon.
    An exotic looking car with performance to match will sell well under $100K no doubt. Used market will be even jucier in a few years pending any reliability issues.

As for Porsche, after they turbo'd the base 911, I wouldn't want to have just bought a previous version - similar level of change compared to the 993 --> 996 IMHO, where the outgoing variant becomes instantly undesirable. But like you say, some of those air colled Porsches are crazy valuable so who knows haha.
    My thoughts exactly. New everything + DCT + GM/Chevy = Not a car you probably want in the first year of production, and probably not even the year after that. Any all-new car in the first year I don't think I would want.

Careful though, say anything remotely negative about an domestic car and out come the pitchforks
    I never got the impression that was a car people were lining up to buy, but couldn't due to small production numbers. I suspect Chrysler would have sold more if people would have wanted to buy them, especially since I can't even imagine how big the profit margin must have been on a car like that. Canadian sales figures have most years in the double digits and several in the single digits.

Googling it comes up with numerous articles about it's poor sales. I am not sure why, but Chicago based journalists seems to really hate them

Personally I think it's biggest problem was the Corvette, where you could often find similar performance for significantly less money.
    I read Chevy is looking at milking the brand as much as possible with Corvette branded SUVs and Sedans.....that would be interesting.
    That is how they keep the cost so low - they offer great performance, then cut corners everywhere else. If it was as good as a $2-300K car it would probably have to cost a lot more. That's a compromise I think a lot of people are OK with though, at the very reasonable (relatively speaking) price point. I've got to believe it wouldn't cost them THAT much to just put a decent interior in it though, but who knows.

For me, the DCT is the best thing they could have done for this car. The automatics were horrid (in the ones I've driven) and stick shifts seem to get less popular every year. In a few years and ~$50K on the used market these will be even more attractive IMO. Biggest downside is probably that you will see them everywhere, but I imagine most buyers don't really care that much.

Nobody has driven, let alone sat in this car yet though so I would take all the predictions (including mine) with a grain of salt
    That I always mention? A wee bit dramatic don't you think I've brought it up a few times in the appropriate threads/context or when asked, yes - no different than anyone else.

Aside from that one I've driven 2 C7's and they were autos. 2014 and 2017 if memory serves me. What you're thinking of is the one I rented. I've ridden in several more, but was not able to drive them.
    The autos in Mercedes' more recent AMG product in general are probably some of the best I have experienced. Other times you can have an otherwise good transmission but with bad programming.

I much prefer DCTs, hence my earlier comments that I am very excited the C8 is getting a DCT, to the point that I would seriously consider one sometime down the road if it checks the rest of my boxes.
    This is a problem with a lot of vehicles and is why I mentioned this exact thing in my previous post - anyone can go out and buy the ZF 8spd that is in almost everything these days or the best auto tranny in the world but if the programming is shit or if there is a lot of paddle delay, it doesn't matter how fast the shifts are, it can still be very unpleasant to drive. Even MB used to have the most brutal paddle delay, but they have got much better in the recent iterations IMO.
    I read an article today that said over 6,000 C7's are on dealer lots in the USA alone. Probably some opportunities for really good deals if you can ignore the C8 for a while.
    Uh oh, more people don't like the C7 transmission and interior - what now? Or is it only a problem when I say something? I see the usual folks are awfully quiet

Anyone know if they will be offering the Magnetic Ride suspension on the C8?
    Every manufacturer plays these games, and it's not limited to vehicles. It makes for great PR when they can release a news article saying that demand was higher than expected, etc. etc. Most smartphone companies do it, for example, whenever there are 'shortages'.

Even Ukyo above said it shouldn't be a problem getting into the second shipment if you order now which appears to be only a month after the first.
    Yup. Demand doesn't seem to be an issue outside a couple sensationalized news articles. The C7 has/had essentially the same value proposition and there are literal thousands sitting on lots and probably nobody wants anymore without very deep discounts. I don't think production capacity is an issue for a company like GM. That's a good thing.
    There are apparently over 6,000 of them sitting on lots in the USA right now and soon the 2019's will soon be last year's model - you don't think there will be any incentives on those at all? I'd be surprised if there weren't - that's a lot of inventory to sit on. I just quickly did a google search on the Corvette forums, but it seems Chevy already started incentives in April/May. Another guy in the same thread said he picked up a low mileage last-year model Z06 for $32K USD off sticker. Is it just Canada where they hold their value well?

I also don't think the base model is going to go up $50-60K like the GT-R. Every new Corvette iteration is a huge improvement over the outgoing version, and this is no different.
    Happens every iteration - new base model gains performance similar to the outgoing performance model and people get excited.
    Wow, that will be the first good sounding Corvette, for my tastes at least. Sounds great.
    It's still a cranked up rental, it's just cranked higher than usual haha.
    Corvettes have always matched or outperformed more expensive cars though, and it never really seemed to affect the competition sales too much. The C8 is obviously better than previous Corvettes, but that is not that much different than the previous leap-frogging (i.e. C6 --> C7). Maybe the fact that you will see one of them on every street corner will be enough to keep the "exotic" sales stable. It sucks the most for Ferrari since Chevy so blatantly copied Ferrari's F430ish styling for ~2/3 of the car haha.

Also I think a lot of the higher-end car buyers don't want a Chevy, and they can afford not to. A lot of people are also willing to pay for exclusivity - just look at how many people won't touch a Hyundai or Kia for no other reason than brand name, or cars like the VW Phaeton. Mercedes is till going to sell a boat load more S-Classes than Hyundai is the G90. There's a long history of people happy to pay ~50-100% more for brand names and status cars, I don't think it will stir up the market as much as some others, but I am eager to find out either way.
    The Z06 (I assume the one with the 620HP N/A flat plane crank option) is going to be hard to ignore if they can keep the price proportionately reasonable to the base model (maybe $110-120K ish). I'd also love to see an AWD option, but I don't know if that's possible.
    Very disappointing if true, I thought Chevy might finally step it up for their new halo car in that department. Hard to imagine it costs a manufacturer more than a few hundred dollars to not cut as many corners on the inside. If it had a decent interior and a $1-2K higher sticker, nobody would complain.
    Road & Track tested the C8....and it does not sound very encouraging. Most disappointing is they think the transmission is not even close to as good as the competition. Handling is markedly worse than a 6-year-old C7 Z51, and braking is also worse than the old C7. Fast in a straight line though with then new gearing that needs 3 shifts for 60mph:

https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-car...st-drive-test/

I see you liking the idea of the car. I haven't seen you speak well of it since it was released though. I'm not even saying you're wrong to be disappointed in its execution. I'm just saying you don't have a history of being a fan of domestic cars, and yours is not an opinion I'd put a lot of value on if I was looking at one. The statement "I wouldn't want to be an early adopter of this one" struck me as funny because there's no chance you'll ever be an adopter of it, early or late. What domestics make and what you want will never line up. That's a fact. It doesn't make you a dick, it doesn't make the manufacturers garbage, it's just the way it is. Take it all as a joke and steer into the skid.
    2007 GMC 2500 Duramax
    1981 GMC C1500 454

My Ride
    Model 3 Performance

Our 3LT trim tester was loaded up to nearly $90,000, and you could see and feel where every penny went (except maybe the cupholders).
    Not so much of a bargain once you start ticking the option boxes although the straight line acceleration for the money is unbeatable.

Page 18 of 29 FirstFirst ... 8 17 18 19 28 ... LastLast